Does grey make you feel grey?

Luke BuckleMay 16, 2014
There seems to be a lot of the colour grey in modern styling. This surprises me as I imagined it would be a bit moody for most people. I certainly cannot separate the shade from overcast skies and gloom.

How does grey interior design make you feel?
City: Hollingsworth Park · More Info
I keep saying this (as did Gerhard Richter who first inspired me). "Grey. It makes no statement whatever; it evokes neither feelings nor associations: it is really neither visible nor invisible. Its inconspicuousness gives it the capacity to mediate, to make visible, in a positively illusionistic way, like a photograph. It has the capacity that no other colour has, to make 'nothing' visibleGrey is NOT a colour... thus is serves as a perfect backdrop to true colour and vistas out your window.I think most people dismissed grey for the associations you outline above. But as interior design became more daring, designers recognized its usefulness and flexibility....My bedroom is dark grey and it offsets the beautiful mountain vistas and dramatic weather or blue skies in day, and is so cosy at night...
13 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:19AM
intoit
It might depend on where you live and how the house interacts with the climate. I do think that a completely gray room is a downer most of the time. If color infused then the gray can be a good neutral background, especially warm grays. We have many gray days where I live so I don't find that the gray palette works well here.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 3:46AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
It seems that grey is the new beige in our homes today. But, unlike beige which evokes no feeling in me whatsoever, the right grey (silver, charcoal, etc.) can evoke a very strong response. There is very little beige in nature, but grey we see in driftwood, the sea at times, the sky at times. It is organic to me. So for these reasons, I'm not sure I agree with Gerhard Richter's quotation above.
9 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 3:51AM
thdigby22
It does depend on the shade of grey and the lighting. I went with a deep shade of grey with blue undertones in a semi-gloss. The room shimmers when the sunlight comes in. At night with lamplight it becomes a very cozy glow. I love it!
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 3:59AM
alicejean
I find grey depressing and trendy.
14 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 5:54AM
I am posting one of the most helpful blog articles on grey that I have come across. I often show it to my clients. http://10rooms.blogspot.ch/2012/01/difference-between-tray-grey-warm-grey.html
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Luke Buckle    May 16, 2014 at 6:00AM
Staged for Perfection
I do not feel the grey fashion for walls. It seems like everybody thinks grey is the solution to everything. It is the beige of our time (which I never felt either) I can go for greyish colors that have greens or blues or other colors in them, but I would never paint either on the walls where I live. I find it difficult to go into a store like Restoration Hardware where it is mostly painted dark grey.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 6:09AM
Tony Been
I'm a kid who loves colour, but agree that it does depend on the situation & the personality for where greys can work
    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:34PM
nansdrew
I think grey is a beautiful neutral like tan/beige. I also believe that ANY color can be boring and depressing given the right (wrong?) setting. The reverse is also true, ANY color can be fantastic in the right setting (even those I really hate).
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:51PM
shelleymagness
i think the different shades of grey are awesome, sooo sick of beige!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Luke Buckle    May 18, 2014 at 9:56PM
Jason Chuck
Grey as an overall theme for a room I think is a bit drab but it's a fantastic colour to allow your colourful cushions and accessories to pop against, especially as a feature wall breaking up the regular 4 white walls
1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:29PM
excanuck
Wow! this discussion couldn't be more timely for me. I never thought I would ever choose grey because it looked so dreary — until the walls at the salon where I get my hair styled suddenly caught my eye. Initially I thought I was looking at wallpaper, so asked where it was purchased.That's when I learned it actually was Venetian plaster — but so smooth, I had to run my fingers across it to believe it.

After doing that, I was faced with a huge decision: could I bear to remove the pale pink victorian foil wallpaper that had been hanging on the shower and dressing area walls ever since the last time foil was "in." No sooner had I pulled it off than everyone who knew about my plans started to tell me it was back!

By then, of course, the commitment had been made. I had arranged for the same paint company to apply the identical treatment to the shower and dressing areas adjacent to the bedroom. That, in turn, inspired me to redo the shower with a gorgeous new tile (deco nacre blanco) , as well as the floors in a slightly darker gray.

"Why stop with that," I asked myself, when I can run the floor tile all the way from the shower thru the dressing room . . . around the perimeter of the bedroom and out the door to the landing at the top of the stairs. All I needed was a grey carpet to complete the bedroom floor. After much indecision, I've decided to order the the same Bling shag mentioned on this website a few weeks ago . .. just in a slightly different shade of grey. Also will be painting the bedroom walls in an off-white with grey overtones later this week.

How will I feel with all this grey once the project is completed? I'm not sure. As one who suffers from a condition called SADD ( aka Seasonal Affect Disorder) which causes me to feel depressed off and on from October until April or May, it's kinda' risky. On the other hand, keeping active is a great distraction that gets me thru the cloudy days without the need for medication. And what could keep me busier than overseeing this renovation! Hopefully, by the time it's completed, the sun will be out most of the day, flowers will be blooming and all will be well.

Meanwhile, I'm already loving my the environment. As a previous poster mentioned, just imagining the bedroom with its new paint makes it feel cozier — especially with the addition of the new lamp and bedding I bought recently.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 11:24PM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I already commented on my love of grey and how to me it is a beautiful organic colour taken right out of nature (driftwood, skies, ocean). These photos of the different greys in the sky taken yesterday while out on a country drive perfectly illustrate my point. Such a sky has inspired possibly 250 or more different grey paint chips.
9 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:00AM
shelleymagness
By the way grey does not make me feel grey! Love all the different shades, from pale to charcoal, green grey and blue grey's. If I were to paint a whole room in one of these shades I would use a light trim color.
    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:22AM
Jennifer Hogan
I think that we should all have homes that reflect our personalities.
For some, gray is prominent in their wardrobe, for others it is tan or brown or gray greens or blue or black and red. There is no right or wrong, it is what makes you comfortable.

I hired a designer to pick a neutral for my walls when builder beige was all the rage. She picked out a beautiful beige that turned into pancake makeup on my walls because my tile has pink undertones. Her advice was to replace 1200 sq ft of tile.

I have never seen a blog or designer say anything positive about pink undertoned beige. Apparently this is a designer nightmare.

But when I look in my closet every neutral I own is a pink/purple based taupe. The art I own has a ton of grey purples and purple based tans. I have pink undertones in my tile, I painted my walls Devine Cappuccino and Devine Bavarian which are purple based taupe. I added a deep purple undertoned burgundy to my kitchen which makes my cabinets pop and used blue greens in my bedrooms and bathrooms and carpets. Blue green and purples are fabulous together and both prominent in my wardrobe.

Are my color choices for everyone? Absolutely not! But I have had dozens of people ask me to help them pick colors for their homes after seeing mine. Most people have a lot more yellow undertones and my colors look sick in their homes, but we find a color that works with the things they love.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:25AM
edithsmom
Yes...I have enough trouble feeling "up".
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:27AM
grobby
Grays and browns don't work for me, although, I have seen many beautiful homes with these colors, they aren't for me. When I moved to my home, every room was painted "relaxed kaki." How sad! I felt as if I was living in a mud hut. It necessary that I have color
around me, reds, pinks, greens, yellows, blues and whites.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 11:44AM
bgfuqua
no, I do not like gray. I find it depressing and ugly.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 12:01PM
beachlily
Love lighter gray with bright turquoise !
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 12:43PM
tkailua
Sick of grey, greige, etc....that and granite! Way, way overdone!
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 1:55PM
excanuck
For what it's worth . ..last Sunday the L.A. Times ran a story on this very subject. According to the sources the writer drew on, grey is now the "new neutral/beige) although white is still in the running, too.

But the post interesting comment (to me) concerned the role of psychology in the choice of colors. According to the article, professionals in that field attribute the new interest in grey to increased confidence in the U.S. economy.
    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:13PM
krf9
I like grey
    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 3:49PM
Sue Geddes
I love grey !! Reminds me if a well tailored suit.
    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:27PM
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Not enough homes to use all the wonderful greys, greiges!! BM Ashwood, light warm gray, Edgecomb Gray, BM pale warm gray, Iced Marble (blue gray)-stonington gray, medium blue grey. Pashmina AF-100 very grey, but still warm. Add an accent color and you have a fresh, young relaxing space.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:53PM
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Grey can be used in transitional, traditional, modern, and contemporary homes
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:55PM
pharod60
I like balance- strong color that overwhelms is unsettling so neutrals are necessary and neutrals without rich color are boring. I painted my hallway in a color called "elephant skin" and I love it- it is warm, organic and so much more evocative for me than beige.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 5:08PM
klark
Grey walls with grey and white furnishing for me work wonderfully! I love the idea of being able to change up a look in a grey room with pops of color using accessories! So refreshing! Satisfies my need for something new, without going too extreme!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:30AM
excanuck
Just an update. . .

It's been almost exactly 3 months since I first reported my experiment with grey. The result? I love it more every day! Although I'm still shopping for "final touches, I actually find myself "ooh-ing"and "ah-ing" after the room is straightened up each day. Unfortunately, I live alone, but after the renovation of the 3 adjoining areas they now feel like my extra-specia personal "retreat."

In case anyone is wondering — the floor, walls and shower tiles are all complimentary shades of gray with just a hint of blue in the shower (actually naccaro blanco on the two large walls and nacarro gris (which to me, has a blu-ish cast) on the third wall and bench).

The largest of the three rooms is the bedroom, which I was reluctant to change too much, ]because I've always loved the stained, vaulted wood ceiling and cocoa brown, suede- papered wall behind the headboard of the bed. But did replace the wall-to--wall from a low peach-colored pile to cozy grey, bling shag inside the grey tile perimeter of the room.

The dilemma (if one existed) was the best way to transition from the shower area to the bedroom (via the dressing area). Although my "tile guy" pushed for me to carry thru the shower decor, I resisted — mainly because it would have meant losing the grain on the stained floor-to-ceiling wall of cupboards on one wall — and under the vanity counter facing them — by painting them a solid color. So instead, I just renewed the existing finish on the cupboards and replaced counter top to a new "India gold" with a few light streaks of color that matched the stain . . . and counted on the floor tile and few areas of Venetian plastered wall to provide the follow-thru. While the tiler's suggestion might technically have been a "better" choice, I figure I'm the one living here, and I love how it turned out.

Next on my to-do list is what to do with the new balcony slider installed two days ago to replace the standard aluminum one that seemed out-of-place amid all the other renovations. My intention when I first started to consider the change was to switch to French doors, but when it became obvious that neither the depth of the balcony nor the layout of the bedroom could accommodate swinging doors plus working sidelights for ventilation, I opted for Anderson's 400 series French rail patio glider (with natural wood framing inside the room, which I intend to have painted grey.)

My current dilemma is what to do about the door/window treatment. Because the glider door butts up to a mirrored closet door (on the right), we've always had sheers and a white "blackout" shade that pulled in that direction. Originally, it also had an Austrian style cornice box with a matching drapery panel on the left, though over the years, we removed that panel. Had been considering the option of leaving the doors bare, until late in the day the new door was installed, when I realized that at least two of the 3 neighbors directly behind my home had a clear view of my every movement when the lights were on at night.

Although I've been toying with several less risque ideas, am hoping to speak with a couple of decorators next week to see what they suggest.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 3:21PM
asquithoatley
Enough with grey- uggh! Like living in a prison cell. Dislike beige too!
A soft warm white is clean and EVERYTHING goes with it- not locked into yellow or teal accents to make a drab grey room "pop" plus every room looks the same with grey.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 5:09PM
chookchook2
Grey is like tofu and rice, it's what you put with it that imparts the flavour.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 5:59PM
kpappal
I love gray, both light and dark shades. I plan to paint several rooms with Gray Owl this fall.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:08PM
woodjay
I recently painted our living room with half strength light warm grey and it looks great. The trim will be white. Previously it was a yellow/beige and the room looks so much lighter.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 12:17AM
fisherspinks
It's worth remembering that cool colours (greys, blues etc) reflect light and warm tones (beige, yellows, reds) absorb light. So while it may feel that grey is depressing, it does reflect light and can brighten the room.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 1:41AM
Rebecca Byrnes
I like a mushroom brown grey- or stone grey. It lends itself to decorating and adding pops of colour easily.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 2:43AM
mldesign0401
Colour evokes feelings by association, therefore to say it makes you feel down or grey yourself it relative to the person using it. Today's modern interiors are strongly featuring grey, although they are showing subtle hues and are mixed with undertones of colour. Still being neutral, they can be considered metameric and are viewed differently to each person, and will allow an atmosphere to be built upon them, They are less often chromatic, and are not just white and black combined into cold greys. The reason many professional grey spaces work is the layering of texture so they don't appear cold even when they are made up of concrete and stone. grey is the current undertone both figuratively and literally. As it is technically a tone and ot a. Flour it will work complimentary to every colour.
I love grey!
ML Design
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:53AM
vincaminor
I just repainted my grey walls to a nice light tan. Soooo much cozier. I hated the grey.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 22, 2014 at 5:48PM
Barbara
Luke,
Again a bit late with a response but agree completely with you on how grey makes you feel, I would never have it in my home nor even wear it by choice.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 9:09PM
ladyrob1
I'm late too lying here in bed after an energetic day yesterday...drive 120kms, get to the hospital at the same time as a terrible trauma case and sit around and sit around and have a coffee and sit around...all I needed was a script. Then do the shopping and push that errant trolley, wait for ages in line at the checkout..tell you what, if grey makes you feel gloomy I felt like Big Chif Raining Cloud! Nothing went right...so glad I did not come home to those grey solpah painted floor boards that were here in the 80s!
From another angle...grey on a really old worn floor as a last ditch effort to make it look civilised works. I did not believe it would but the old produce store got a lift. Immediately it looked airy, spacious and clean and much bigger than it actually was...So - if an instant fix is needed go for grey you can't go wrong. Otherwise, don't do it, you'll look as if you couldn't make up your mind...bit like the "All White" trend...when in doubt paint it white! All grey is a cop out, don't believe the trendies who tell you its dignified, its not..its like black...no colour in particular-mishmash of several colours and of course the 'save the reputation of an uncertain decorator" - plus white! No gutz! Not even enough to make a mistake and stand by it as if its the latest trend. Remember "The King's Invisible Suit"? Its beautiful! You say you can't you see it? You.re a fool! Grey is beautiful! You don't concur? You're a fool!

Grey is useful and can save the day but that's about it.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 1:01AM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...wear it? Now that's an entirely diferent thing! If you want to be a bit mysterious a grey tailored well cut pair of slacks, a soft pink pussycat bow blouse with long cuffs and covered buttons...or an ivory if you don't wear pink *( but there's no combination as mysterious as pink and grey), couple this with an either pink, grey or ivoty blazer, impeccable, not too fussy hair, clever make up, natural nails and black suede.( or oxblood leather but only with the pink blouse) courts with a moderate heel....and you are the perfect picture of elegance every time...Oh and if you have a really 'gentile' silver or platinum and diamond or paste cluster brooch..Oh Yes, you'll get their attention every time...just get your speel right bcause they'll remember every word!
Bet you didn't know I knew anything about that!
    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 2:14AM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Hi Robin,
Love pink but no broach for me or long sleeved blouse, sleevless for me everytime, I would get claustrophobic with that attire, buttons on the cuffs to boot and I'd be tearing the shirt off ha-ha
Pink and black mainly for me in fact black and any other bright colour and I'm home.
No natural nails either, a nice rosy pink colour if I have half decent nails, hard with the work we're currently doing but gloves are a must!!!
Have nothing in a suede and my heels are usually big as I'm so little.
But I do like pink and I actually do have a grey knitted vest but I wear it with tangerine usually not light pink.
I'm just a tad younger than you I think, hence the difference in taste ha-ha
As for shopping days, I'm getting to dislike them more and more and would prefer if possible to do online shopping if it were available to me, bread, vegies and groceries all home delivered would be amazing.
So many shops to go to for our baling business during the busy months, it's not unusual to have more than 20 seperate places to visit in a single shopping day and that's no target or any special stops for me, that would be another day in town and I usually decide I don't need whatever I might have wanted ha-ha!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 3:01AM
mldesign0401
I LOVE GREY, LIGHT, DARK, MOODY AND SOFT, LUXURIOUS AND SOPHISTICATED, DEFINATELY DIGNIFIED AND INDULGENT. ALL THE TONES IT CONJOURS. GREY IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE, FROM 1980s TO NOW.
Stated with 100% commitment and certainty, no indicision what so ever! And not as a follower of modern trends, but as one who implements them long before they fall in favor. The effect of light on grey is absolutely uncontested. If you doubt this, the famed city of light is also known popularly as Grey Paris, and inspired a whole new swatch stock of it. Grey is versatile, and a true cameleon, the tonal values and underlying colour is what distincts it from past greys. These undertones are intentional, in this game, they have to be.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 3:39AM
ladyrob1
@Barbara...you're right, you are younger than me and not just a 'tad' but old has its plusses especially experience. As for 'wearing' grey, it has its functions...something to go to court in, apply for that job as a designer..etc, etc, there's something about grey attire that's nondescript and secretive yet trustworthy. I'd wear a grey an outfit like that for a desired outcome. I've never intentionally bought anything in grey because I liked it but purely for functionality.....Brooch? These jewellery items hark back to gracious times and are also useful for effect even if not one's preference....and they look good on grey.
The psychology of colour is quite interesting to work with..
As for decor....grey is practical and functional. Plenty of it around today in modern thermal mass concrete buildings, polished concrete floors, public places needing a refresher coat of paint, non slip floors etc,etc. I think that one's personal living space should be just that...a place to "live", somewhere to 'be' - otherwise grey in a home or maybe that should be HOME is out for me. it looks and feels drab, uncomfortable, stiff and uninviting no matter how it is dressed up.
@ Myadvice0401 No doubt about it that you are at the forefront when it comes to anticipating trends. A well known artist friend of mine explained this with the metaphor of reeds standing above still waters and trembling because of the undercurrents about to surface and flurry the waters. Anticipation is almost the 'job' of any artist "worth his or her salt."
As for the rest of your comments, true, grey is a cameleon and is versatile but how many designers are able to actually see those undertones, some of which may be intentional and most not?
In my experience, Colour Science...(keeping the water metaphor) is "Up The Creek" today! Nobody seems to have a practical working understanding of it, not even the designers who, if they are the real thing, go by intuition more than anything and some are so good at it....best engage the right one! There may be many and then there may not be, You are correct about the effets of light on 'grey' whatever that colour is..let's call it GreyS..and in this it is, in my opinion and experience, a dangerous hue...In painting, use of the now well known "Paynes Grey" in the hands of the inexperienced, is guaranteed to kill any painting by sucking the light refraction out of other colours. I discourage its use to my students and I prove why. I do not have experience with greyS used in home decor but I feel I'd be on target stating that greyS are dangerous unless the designer can see the undertones or actually knows what these hues are... and complement these rather than trying to match them...which would be an almost impossible task anyway, but not for some. I would not like a brief to execute based on greyS.."soft and luxurious...and especially "all the tones they (greyS) conjure." Its a minefield that the gifted few can negotiate successfully.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 4:28PM
mldesign0401
I wrote a great, lengthy response that you would have been pleased with ladyrob, one that both sides agree on. My iPad died before uploading it, and I have nothing in me to re write. Oh well
    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 9:05PM
ladyrob1
Megan, be consoled, I did exactly that this morning, Have a frozen, twisted 'ring' finger that seems to delight in pressing some key (for the life of me I do not know which). The result is the deletion of paragraphs of verbosity that I feel pretty chuffed with! Suppose I deserve it for 'rabbiting on' and for pridefulness...but that's me..always plenty to expound from stores of information often unrealised that surprise even me!!! I.m sure I would have thoroughly enjoyed your expose'! Never mind, I hope there will be a next time!? I rather enjoy our diverse approaches from our life experiences.
Of late, my ageing body has let me down substantially when I was least expecting it and when my physician of 20 years has retired. I've had dramas with medicos who do not realise that I am a walking time bomb (so handle with caution) when I really need experienced specialist care in a field little understood...and I'm "stuck out in the sticks"...so to speak! I've therefore had ample time to persue my storehouse of learning and try to enjoy it and pass a little of it on to those who will consider and benefit from it.
Not something I was prepared to deal with.
HOUZZ is enjoyable. The exchanges with like-orientated and more active people is equally enjoyable. I don't like the bed rest but a change of attitude allows me to think of myself as priviledged that I can lie around, eat and sleep and read and do what I like!
I've decided to return to the two manuscripts I've been neglecting...one anticipated by the Arts Department of our local QUT to use as a teaching text on colour, the other an autobiography that I've decided will not be in chronological order...mainly because I can't seem to keep a continuous thread tending to waffle away relating often comical incidents from behind convent walls
So...time for...rummaging in the attic...finding stuff I'd forgotten was there and letting the subconscious suggest how to manage my health predicament in the meantime.
Its been quite a while since I've given myself so much time to think!
I've just discussed with Barbara the " Devil in Lilac" native - wisteria...I hope she does not regret thinking she will be able to keep it imprisoned in pots and does not run out of puff as the years pass having to keep after it. I have about 20 years on her and know she cannot possibly comprehend how even the most fiery passion for an artristic addiction can wane...but its her fun and I wish it to her in its fuklness!
What are you involved in at present? Anything exciting that wakes you up in the wee hour with inspiration?
I am almost desperately trying to source Capiz shell wall adornment that is priced within reason...just refuse to succumb to prices based on trend! Hate trend!

# What do you think of the American artist Matthew Mahoney...the multitalented, eccentric beyond belief, multidisciplined, indescribable impassionato?...and what effect on interior decor? Today's Gaudi? Dali? Better:? So exciting and transporting!
He is touring Australia! I want to experience something of his!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 12:40AM
mldesign0401
Lady rob, reading your first paragraph I felt I was reading my own before posting, I feel exactly the same way when I write from feeling, the words just spill out and I surprise myself often. I can faintly recall some of what I mentioned, but sadly it will Have to remain in my grey matter forever! Sorry...
I get lost reading your comments, Although I'm left feeling that you perhaps wouldn't bother if you knew how dull I am by comparison. My current project is life. No fanciful interior but my own right now, it has taken up several years, and about to hand over control to builders and tradespeople soon enough. Being my own project, it will never be complete, or perfect enough, so it's best someone takes it from me, like a lollipop from a child. Of course, since becoming 'mum', I haven't worked in an office confine, but I have relearnt all the essentials of life through her. Never taking for granted how we got to understand colour as it is, she is so unaware of, but already building a vocabulary of her own. My mum told me when I was. Toddler, I had a paint chart pinned next to my bed and I recited colour daily. I named my pets colour names, and collected colored objects. One week I'd hide pink things, like a bower bird I'd pinch people pink toilet paper etc, years later I still do that, sampling colour chips on my desk for no other reason than to make me smile.
My battery is running low again, and I fear I will loose my point, and not finish this popst either.
I haven't even responded to you yet, I'm rambling again.

I hate to think you're unwell, and so far, if I could I'd love to spend an afternoon just listening. I hope you get the better of it, and end up with some sort of capiz shell ornament, a lampshade of it would be beautiful, or a wind chime hung at the entrance of your enclosed verandah with the louvres just half open.
So much for getting to the point.
I've not heard of Matthew Mahoney, shock, disgrace, I know.
As for being the next gaudi....doubtful, I remember sitting in arch. History when his unfinished cathedral flashed from the projector, I was stunned. Still am.
Never looked at dripping wax from candles the same.
I will continue this in part two. For now I'm on charge.
You should too.
Rest up.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 2:49AM
ladyrob1
@ ASV Interiors...do you as a pro hold that " grey is NOT a colour" or was that part of the quote...(since you did not close the quote) ? If this is your take on grey...(not a colour) how would you describe it? What IS grey?
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 5:00PM
ladyrob1
@ Luke Buckle....this poll is a bit dated but it surely has stirred up a lot of interest!
About Grey -
As a colourist and an author on the natural workings of colour...I do not agree that GREY is NOT a colour, for it can be many colours mixed until they subtract from each other and leave us with a nondescript "grey".
Remember the lump of plastecine or play dough that was once several sticks or slabs of lovely bright colours?
The basic thing to remember about grey is that it is derived from many colours or just a selection of several or only two opposing hues that will annihilate each other then add white in varying degrees.
I have an avversion to "killing colour", Nature does not do it but rather carefully blends so that nothing in nature offends our eyes and then our mood.

Here's the secret
The GREYS that we find depressing are the hues that are created without a basis of solid science and the aim of uplifting the beholder rather than depressing him/her. These are usually the cheap paints from the "we jus wanna sell paint" ranges....or those created without a deeper understanding of how colour actually works in nature.
There's a company that recycles left over automotive paint...there's a limit to the hues they can produce and most are really YUK...but that sort of thing is what I mean..indiscriminate combining of colours
The depressing Grey.
If GREY seems depressing it is probably because the hues blended together to create it ...plus white...are those that should never be together..because rather than enhancing each other and 'singing' together in harmony....( and yes, colour can be equated to a musical scale and the melody can be actually written down)... they "kill" each other.
If the colours in that grey were written as music.....it would sound like somebody bashing the keyboard or like a mishmash of really unpleasant sounds.
If I decided I wanted a grey in any part of my home I would have to mix it myself.
I suppose that is why, nothwithstanding the miriad of colour swatches all lined up in the paint sellers stores....I can never find the colour I see in my head.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 5:25PM
olldroo
I still say grey is un-Australian!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 6:20PM
Barbara
I must agree @olldroo, this colour or non colour does nothing for me but I remain inspired by others that do feel it does something magical for them.
Hubby and I are laying some capping tiles and will be concreting soon and the grey I see when I think of grey, is the colour of concrete that I simply accept but non the less don't like.
Cheers,
Barbara
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 7:54PM
olldroo
My home is painted blue for our beautiful clear skies and sparkling beaches, green for our life giving trees and yellow for the sun. It feels as fresh and clean as our pristine bush. It cheers and inspires me and makes my home a happy place to be. Yep, grey = concrete = jungles our cities are sadly becoming.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 8:00PM
ladyrob1
@ Hey Oldroo My house is red ochre like the red outback, with brilliant Tuna blue to match the sea and skies and cream accents...which just "go" with the rest. How is grey Un-Australian, oldroo? That's a new one to me,. Maybe because lots of American weatherboards are painted grey? Like the sound of your colour scheme, lthough not a fan of blue it does sound nice paired with green and yellow. Agree with you about the concrete jungles.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 8:56PM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...I'm niot sitting on the fence on this one...grey is dismal unless there's a colour in the mix by which it could be described like ...green-grey, blue-grey, pink-grey, charcoal grey...even a violet grey etc... I don't admire any grey that has no definite identity....its a cop-out. Concrete does not have to be grey...there are powder colours that can be added to it...somewhat like the frescos of old and it can be used to make multicoloured images with the inclusion of these. Have a rock garden near my front door made of local rough granite rocks set with deep desert pink concrete. You don't have to be stuck with it if you don.t like it.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 9:06PM
olldroo
Hey, Ladyrob, it's Australia Day tomorrow so I just made it up. Seriously I look at our beautiful clear skies and the air around us, the colours are all so fresh and clean, grey just seems so wrong. I must admit with my recent renovations I looked at heaps of photos on Houzz trying to reproduce all the trendy browns and greys and went through a range of sample paint pots, but they just did not work, they looked totally wrong.

My house can get very hot so I cannot use reds or oranges and the blues do an amazing job of really cooling the feel of rooms. I've posted my blue room before but you may not have seen it, still work to be done but I am so happy with it, even men comment on how relaxing and cool the room is.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 9:37PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Hi Robin,
I know that concrete can be coloured but lets forget about concrete for a moment.
It's just simply that grey does nothing for me in any tone, it just doesn't "light my fire" or "inspire" me in any way to want to use it but I did say that I admire people who do get something magical out of using this colour.
I have a beautiful solid piece of bluestone, so large, that I have positioned it in my garden as a seat, it's quite a dark grey, I don't see any blue in it when I look at it, often wondered why it's called bluestone??....anyway, I still admire it for its texture and beauty as a piece of nature and not a colour if that makes sense.
I love hardwood but wouldn't grow a gum tree in my yard because I know how much goodness the tree takes out of the ground and as a farmer, I can't afford this scenario but a single specimen in a lovely old homestead yard, can leave me speechless!!
I guess what I'm saying is horses for courses, I don't like grey in a home or should I say to be more specific, in my home, and the forum question was:
"Does grey make you feel grey" and for me it does and as you said, you don't have to be stuck with it if you don't like it and I am going to do just that, not have it ha-ha
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 11:14PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Love your room and it's layout and even though I don't think I would ever have a blue room, I think it is very nice for someone that loves blue.
I actually love leather for example, so I guess brown is my prefered colour, as Ladyrob1 knows only too well with our many discussions about me liking or wanting the absense of colour in my home, so show me earthy, brown, late, beige, chocolate etc... and these colours "light my fire" but I'm afraid grey does not and never will.
The one thing that does amaze me though, is just how much I have become aware of new colours on Houzz, well new for me, seeing your room for example, makes me see just how nice blue could be, done just right and I together with the landscape painting and the pendant lights, the room is finished to perfection.
When I lived at home with my mum back in the 90's we painted almost the entire home in blue and had a pink & grey bathroom, my room was pink and grey but I've had enough of colour having lived with it so long and now a new chapter finds me leaning towards earthy or neutral tones and I don't include grey in my interpretation of neutral!!! ha-ha
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 11:26PM
ladyrob1
oldroo...cheeky! But I DIDN'T make it up! Those are my house colours and its in character with its age. Inside is all natural timber....and its an Australian house through and through right down the remnants ( for sentiment) of the old outdoor laundry and the little 'dunny' house, all done up, that now provides storage for garden tools.
I am probably one of the few women who do not like blue because it makes me feel "blue" and its not anything to do with association...just a 'thing". I really like your room, especially the pendant lights but even just in a photograph I felt myself wanting to grab a brightly coloured throw or a cushion or..something...that's just me. I'd have another suggestion but really do not want to offend anyone. As the trendies would say...it would make the room....err..."pop"????? That's If you want to have a popping/hopping sound or feeling disturbing the peace and quiet that you have obviously created....( big clear of the throat! EHE EHE EHE!..Apologies trendy speakers, mean no offence...just taking the mickey out of something I see as ridiculous!)
Congrats on a calming atmosphere oldroo!
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 1:52AM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara you're a polite and proper fence sitter...you admire those who get something 'magical' out of grey?! What's to admire about people who kid themselves? That they actually are able to convince others of the magical properties of...grey that they themselves somehow channel from..."the grey domains" ? You'll have to do better than that for your 'speel" Otherwise..I'd prefer to have updates on your home and change of heart on colour! Oh dear, Mydesign0401 is reading this! Do I hang my amateur head in shame or go and stroke my neighbour's exquisite smoke grey persian cat?
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 2:07AM
Barbara
@ladyrob1,
Ha -ha, you just told olldroo that you didn't like blue because it made you feel blue, no different to me saying I don't like grey for the same reason!!!
As for saying I had admiration for those that found something I can't in grey, that is a genuine admiration but also being polite to all the other readers of these posts, including Megan, who does love grey, and perhaps you best hang your head whilst patting the neighbours cat ha-ha
Who am I to say that grey is a horrendous colour, it's ultimitately just my personal opinion!!!
Enough of this bantering though, hope you have had a great Australia Day too

As for a house update, your wish is my command, capping tiles were finished today, 400 of the little suckers, more framework to finish on the veranda and a little more concreting mesh AND some cool weather, which we are going to have here for the next week may mean the concreting of the veranda isn't too far away!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 3:37AM
olldroo
Thank you for the compliments ladies, the colour evolved over quite a period of time. I have always loved earthy colours too both for my wardrobe and for decorating but because my lounge room faces west with 16 feet of glass just nothing ever worked. I have never liked blue for decorating, to me no other colour seemed to compliment it, but that was before Houzz and I found the right greens (and my favourite colour) are made to go with blues. Then years ago I painted my kitchen and family room a soft custard yellow and added some blues and greens and so my colour scheme was born and I don't intend to change it any time soon. I do intend replacing the photo with a larger one, it is a bit too small but I am waiting for the holiday period to be over to get to the beach for some photos without a mob scene. I'm also thinking of more art for the other wall but still undecided what. I'm right into photography at the moment so leaning that way. I have also added a couple of spots of coral to the room and am thinking of trying a throw in that colour for winter which will look warm and inviting in the cold.

Ladyrob - please don't be backwards, I am very open to suggestions, so I would love to hear yours. I can picture your old Aussie house - love them and yes, the reds especially look great in them.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 3:49AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
I'm most intrigued with your colour choice, especiallly when you say you loved earthy colours for your decorating too.
I wouldn't use blue again, although the blue that I mentioned I used in my mother's home, was a strong 90's sky blue and I did like it then but our "likes" change over time don't they???
My daughter used Hog Bristle throughout her home including the ceilings and because she has timber floors, it all looks yellowish to me, or a weird colour that I really don't like at all but when I look at a Hog Bristle Swatch from the paint shop, it is the furthest from yellow that you could possibly imagine.
I decided that if I went ahead with timber floors, that I woudn't us this colour for fear of having the same outcome but if I have tiles instead, then I would give it a go however, I am starting to waver towards more colour and I can't even believe I'm even thinking of doing it, as I was so adamant that I was a neutral/beige kind of girl and I was never having colour!!
Having seen your room, shows me that it can be done tastefully, even though I won't be having a blue couch ever and so possibly not blue anywhere, but I nearly bought a blue duvet on ezibuy that was being contrasted with a coral bed cover, it looked stunning and it was all I could do to stop myself, as I am so adamant I don't want blue anywhere but it was the coral colour I know, that was lighting my fire!!!
I have decided I will need to get a professional to help me choose the colours and give me the best opportunity to show off each room and each part of the home to its best advantage and so I feel more confident, that it will end up looking great and there may now be a hint of colour in my home!!!
I will need to contact Megan (Midesign0401) eventually and see if she can weave her magic for me, as she has been most helpful over the last few months when I was originally protesting my love of neutrals!!
Dam this HOUZZ forum, I've been converted I think, ha-ha
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 4:11PM
ladyrob1
@ oldroo...my old house IS red ochre weatherboards. Originally built during thr depression the only option for preserving bare weatherboards was a heavily pigmented oil and kero based paint..always dark red ochre. The thinners were a mix of kero and linseed and this was actually heated before application. There were many red houses during that time. When I bought this old house the light coloured paint applied by a previous owner had peeled right back to the boards. The only solution, was to re-paint it with the same ( or near to it) mix that was used originally...which meant mixing it myself. I took many litres of linseed and kero and 20 litres of a 1980s red roof enamel that contained that heavy pigment. To date it is still a red house...although it needs a touch up here and there.There's no other option. I am watching closely anybody renovating old Queenslanders and painting them "fashionable depression red". Am wondering if they've discovered a paint that will not peel off after a few years. I don't have much choice inside either since I am loathe to paint 100 yr old natural timber...just the kitchen that was black with soot from the old wood stove. I do not know now if you were joking also about your custard yellow kitchen and familky room as that's the colour I used in my kitchen...thought I'd found a kindred spirit!
As for suggestions from me...you are already planning a larger photo...and that was my suggestion!
Are you really adding a coral throw? Was going to suggest that! Coral is just lovely and seems to "go with" many hues....never bothered to investigate what this is...I love studying colour..how it works and how light or juxtaposition with other colours changes a hue. Its an intriguing science.
I'll be very interested to see your choices of photos and artwork! Its no secret that these can really change the mood of a room.
In my latter years I've decided to just let fly and defy all convention and propriety...I've been doing it for years on a tentative scale so now for the fun. I suppose, having an innate sense of colour it will all blend in anyway but I am going for the Bazzar...or bizarre free abandon look since I only have to please myself and my feline family will still love me no matter what I do.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 4:40PM
Helenscolour
Paddington Terrace · More Info

Greys can be beautiful!
In nature, moss greens and greys are in abundance.
The attached photo combines these colours very well.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 4:40PM
ladyrob1
@ helenscolour...do not agree that there are greys per se in nature...we mighr see grey but its an illusion of light. What we see as grey can be extremely intriguing for the simple reason that it is not really grey. The same with black....no such 'colour' per se in nature. Anyway, colour is my bandwagon and I cannot expect everyone absolutely to know what I am talking abou or even agree when the information is insufficient. If its grey we see...then nothing wrong with calling it that. Love colour and all the discussion it can generates!
I remain one of those who does not like grey(s)....unless the colours that make them are a little obvious and do not clash. I think it takes a very special kind of decorator to work with grey(s) successfully. Haven't seen anything convincing to this point.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 5:39PM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...if I caused you offence saying you were a fence sitter when it came to grey(s). I apologise for the comment but not for the opinion. I've said this before...you always try to appease and be polite and that's admirable...but don't you like debate? Don't you enjoy all the different opinions...and more don't you enjoy challenging somebody if you think they are trying to make a reality of something that could not be further from it?
I believe that Megan knows what I am about. Its her prerogative to absolutely love grey(s)...and if I have to be forthright, I think she would be one of the very,very intuitive few designers who could actually pull a grey secenrio convincingly together. She sees what few are able to see.
I do not doubt that you genuinely admire the grey brigade...does not make them all unquestioningly infallible. If there's anything "magical" about grey(s) its not in the hue itself which is what seems to be being implied.
Somebody stated on this thread..somewhere...that grey is NOT a colour"
What do you think of that comment? What's your opinion? Why is it that you do not like grey? Have you ever asked yourself that except to say it is drab?
I have not yet seen a convincing grey decor....plenty of gutless ones though. That does not mean that I would not like to see a beautifully executed, convincing, harmonious and tantalising room in grey(s). I don't dislike any colour in itself.
What I dislike, especially with blue...the strongest and most difficult colour to work with, is the inability of those many who cannot work with it who then use "trendyspeak" to talk up their efforts. Somebody who can work with blue and blues as the hue dictates needs no "speak"...the same with grey(s) not a colour.
Seems oldroo has a good feel for blue! Ha! a rhyme!
Now I am going to pat my neighbour's exquistely and perfectly by nature, coloured smoke cat...and I'm not hanging my head in shame either...did you really think I would?
AUSTRALIA DAY here is.......get this.....grey and gloomy! But the sky is beautiful!
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 6:09PM
olldroo
Barbara, my colour choice all came down to what works in the house which is all governed by aspect and light. This is something I continually stress on Houzz because I have learned this the hard way. There are so many beautiful rooms on Houzz, it is easy to get totally confused, in fact at times I feel I need 10 homes to decorate the many ways I love, but so many people make the mistake of copying a photo with no thought to the light and aspect of their room and are bitterly disappointed with the result.

I had the earthy colours through my house to begin with following my love of these colours and before I really understood about lighting and it was a total disaster, my home always looked daggy, depressing and even dirty, there never was a sparkle to it no matter how much I scrubbed and cleaned. I can't put my finger on why - it just was.

Ladyrob - the photo only came about because my joey saw it and thought I would love it (which I do) and was adamant it was right for the space and wanted to buy it for me for a Christmas Present. Kept telling her it was too small, but like all joeys, what do their mums know about decorating. Came Christmas (2013) she and hubby proudly hung it for me about 2 ft higher than it is. After much pleading it was lowered and eventually they conceded that it did look better. Now when she visits she keeps asking when I am going to get a new one, it is way too small.

I see the exterior paints being guaranteed for years now with the introduction of Solargard, it sounds like they have been improved a lot. If you are having problems with peeling I wonder if it might be in the preparation, you could need a specialised undercoat.

I was being deadly serious about my custard yellow kitchen - Dulux Cowardly Custard half strength to be exact. Even the guys who installed the kitchen loved it as a change from all the white they do. Originally I was going to have all white with the Custard walls, but as planning progressed I felt the need to change to colour.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 6:45PM
ladyrob1
Hi oldroo...lovely stoty about the photo..joeys are so dear...wish I'd had a few but I taught kindy for four years and that was a lot of joeys.

THANKS for your suggestions and info about paints being guaranteed....will probably work for those who have replaced rotted old weatherboards on old Queenslanders with brand new ones...or those whose houses are a bit more recent so not done withh the red ochre treatment. Nothing will stay on these really ancient but still very intact weatherboards..Tried solaguard and another really expensive paint and had it all totally scraped back and professionally undercoated. Only lasted three years and it was back to the original red-ochred and bare boards!
They need a repaint, especially on the western side (Queensland sun) where the boards are drying out in places. and the paint is, in patches, getting thin. Wherever there's a bit flaked off it is right down to the original old red ochre from the 1900s!
A really experienced old painter born in this district advised that nothing will stay on these boards after the original treatment of the hot oil and pigment..(the original pigment had lead in it). He took me around to a few old places to show me.....all back to the boards in a couple of years. So..if I can find some, more of the same, red roofing enamel thick with pigment and some linseed and kero and just patch the bare spots then .its going to be sprayed so the "paint" will soak into the boards. Thanks for the advice though....I will go and ask questions....one never knows, there may be an easier solution that sitting with a 20l bin between one's knees mixing a sprayable concoction of paint, oil and kero.

Had a long slatted enclosed veranda built on the North side. The builder, also a lover of old timber, turned the weatherboards around, planed back the weather angle, put them back on 'back to front', pressure cleaned them then sprayed them with oil...lovely! I'd like To do the rest of the house like that! Keep it genuine.

Like your Custard Yellow!
I used full strength Mod Yellow in my kitchen...on VJ boards....it is very bright and sunny and a colour that keeps the fling insects out and other crawlies. The rest of the house is natural timber inside including the ceilings.
Amazing what once finds oneself up against with very old houses!
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 7:32PM
olldroo
Oh dear, Ladyrob, I can see where your boards could be a problem. Probably has a lot to do with the oil too. Taking the boards off and reversing them sounds an excellent idea but very time consuming and obviously VERY expensive. There must be a lot of people in your predicament though so surely in this day and age someone is working on something. Maybe write to the major paint manufacturers and see what they have to say - anything is worth a try. I also found this interesting site by the Gold Coast City Council - someone there may be able to help you, it looks like they are very dedicated to maintain the heritage homes.

http://heritage.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/uploads/pdf/Guidelines/Heritage_Guidelines_Series11.pdf

I only read recently - maybe it was your comment - that yellow deters flies and crawlies. Can't say I have noticed it here though, maybe my CC is not bright enough. I doubt the Sydney Cockies would ever be deterred by anything though.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 8:07PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Oh gosh no, I was never offended by your comments and immensly enjoy our discussions.
I guess I must simply be too nice ha-ha..... to have a debate that might offend anyone, if for example, I decided to call people who like grey morons just because I don't like it, so I keep it NICE...can't seem to help that!!!
Why do I dislike grey you asked me to ask myself, I don't need to, I just don't, I don't really think I need to spend any time whatsoever, going to the depths of my soul for a feasable answer to come up with some indepth reason but it's as simple as having lived with it in both my mother's home and then this little home culminating in 25 years, including mauve, pink and blue and I now want a change, call it a mid life crisis, don't really care what the reason is but it is simply time for a change.
You are so passionate about colour and it's meaning, it's in your soul and your knowledge has put you in a position that you can't look at a colour without trying to over analyse it's properties or it's incorrect use or incorrect discriptions but for me personally, I don't particulary care diddly squat about whether grey or black for that matter aren't colours, or if blue in your opinion is used incorrectly by most who try it.
I'm just not that into a debate that heads down this analysis path, its just not me and that might be why you feel I'm not interested in a good debate.

DON'T LIKE GREY, SIMPLES, like the compare the meerkat .com add on TV says that I just love.
Now if you do want a debate, you mentioned to olldroo and Helenscolour that you do not agree with grey in nature and that it's an illusion of light.
Well I disagree that there is no grey in nature, I have sand all around my veranda used as fill and it is GREY whether it is sunny, cloudy or raining ha-ha
My bluestone rock in my garden, is grey, again, whether is is rainy, sunny or cloudy.
I could probably think of other things that are also grey, like the coat colour of a grey horse, even when all the original pigment is gone with age, that is to say that the coat may have been originally chestnut or bay etc...the hair is not a grubby white, it is grey and irrespective of your textbook explanation of why you think we see grey when in fact we supposedely don't see grey won't wash, well not with me anyway.
Well Australia Day is almost over and I do hope you have had a great day and I can't wait for your reply.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 9:37PM
Barbara
@Helenscolour,
I looked at this very photo just last night whilst browsing neutral colour schemes on HOUZZ and I very much love how this room comes together, althouth it's a stretch for me to include this room into a neutral catagory.
I have explained at length to Ladyrob1 at least why I don't like grey and I can't believe that I'm starting to contemplate the idea of using colour in my new home when I get that far, as I was so adamant that I was goint neutral no matter what.
Olldroo's blue room has left me in awe of how when done right, it can look amazing and that I am willing to give some new colours a try, although I will never have a blue couch so I won't be trying blue but it's interesting that I nearly purchased a blue duvet from ezibuy that had been contrasted with a coral throw but it was really the throw that "lite my fire" I know that now and not the blue.
So I'm strangely entering a new phaze courtesy of Houzz for sure, where perhaps with the help of a professional decorator, I should be able to get the best out of every room of the house and not be stuck with, as olldroo put it, a home that looked daggy, depressing and even dirty looking, never want that just because I want neutral!!!
    Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 9:54PM
ladyrob1
@oldroo thanks so much for your interest! This house is nearly 100 years old and it is doing so very well with no borers or dry rot...On the topic of crawlies and things on the wing.. yes, it was something I shared about yellow deterring creepy crawlies, especially the wonderful Aussie blowfly...I have an open house with cross ventilation in abundance. This particular yellow..and it must be spot on....full strength on an undercoat of brilliant white...otherwise it would be teansparent. Not evebn the crawlies of Cairns could stand it...but I did have a rather stubborn green frog who adopted my kitchen window sill from where he could catch the flies that decided not to fly in...a fat frog was he!
Thankyou for the link to the Gold Coast. I am quite a way from there and in another jurisdiction that really could not give a darn preferring new housing developments....but I will look into it. I have not painted the house since 2006 and it is still doing well...just the odd patch,. You are right...OIL is not the thing to put near heat...it fries, but I used more kero than oil ..and I am pleased with how it has withstood the weather compared to other old cottages that have needed to be repainted at least twice since 2006. There's a tall one just down the hill here that is not doing well. I am fortunate that my home is just a cottage and not a grand old lady. Yes, turning the sturdy boards around would be a great solution and there's not much exterior wall surface as t plenty of windows....it might be the best option eventually,. Many old cottages around here with pine exterior boards really looking shabby have taken to replacing them with heritage coloured corrugated colourbond and taking the opportunity to insulate.. It is something I would consider but would need to compare costs to do that with costs of reversing the old boards....I think the boards would win out.
I am not unduly wortied. This place has stood the test of time and weather with little detriment except age...a bit like me. I think it will outlive me actually.
Sorry can't help you with a colour to deter cockies...they Sydney ones are rather big I'm told...UGGH...wonder what native greature eats cockies,,,maybe lizards?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 12:12AM
olldroo
Ladyrob, no none of my lizards eat the cockies - can't imagine anyone willingly wanting to. They seem to thrive on humidity and are in abundance right now.

Ugh to Colourbond, might be easy to maintain but it just never quiet comes of on walls, roofs are ok though. If you don't have a lot of boards to turn then that could be more of an option than I thought, and the chance to add batts to the walls would be a real bonus.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 12:18AM
mldesign0401
Let's agree that for most people, colour is relative.
Let's then agree then that it is relative to our own individual ideas, memories and recollections, then colours, both artificial and manmade will always be perceived differently by us all who love them. Grey, white, beige or blue, most of us will simply react to it, a first impression, I like it....I don't. Simple.
This grey debate has been anything but, these colorful conversations have been great for our grey matter, they have fired up the old burner and has us all thinking or penning our perspectives, debate is healthy, and this one comes from a place where we all agree, colour is beautiful. I'm positive any colour, tone, tint or shade can be used to glorious effect, so much so that everyone viewing it could question their own likes and dislikes for a minute and actually think, I love that room, before promptly thinking again, oh I would never use that colour myself. When we think about colour, it tends to get complicated to those of us who are not colour experts. When we simply respond to colour, and just see it how it makes us feel, success is likey.
I will say colour intuition is a gift, colour experience a learning and colour confidence an understanding. So called colour experts should be made up of all three.
There is no end to this debate as long as there's someone willing to respond.
Grey should not make you feel grey, your associations of it might, but that depends on your personality and life experiences more than the colour, or tone.
How amazing is it we have a platform to discuss colour in such depth!
From my own perspective, if anyone's still reading, I see and surround Myself with colour each day, as sort of a mood enhancer. I use it to inspire, create, calm etc for myself and my clients. I observe constant colours, high and low chromatics, tints, tones and shades of the popular hues, until my eyes can't actually absorb anymore.
I think this is why I love grey, I can re-calibrate my highly attuned eyes, and focus on texture rather than tone, or enjoy the subtlety of undertones that stand out against it. We all do that, even the colour ammeters . When you place a white plate on a white bench, suddenly the bench looks cream! And when you wear your grey jacket with that salmon pink blouse only to realize your jacket is blue! colour can be subtractive, but it is best seen amongst it's fellow colours. Grey for me is cleansing, and the complexity it reveals about other inclusions in a room is stimulating. Subtle grey notes are not as on trend as the colour pops against it, which is why my grey preference would be entirely different to the current fad, this is the point.

I would love to see some examples of rooms people have created using grey. I myself would love to see what people's perception of grey is. Are the undertones obvious? Are they light, dark, textured or flat? You see, colour is not the only factor here, but how we apply it, stage it, light it and of course, live with it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 12:29AM
olldroo
Barbara I have grey hair ...................... does that put me on the outer??

A little tip that helped me........................ Go through rooms on Houzz colour by colour to see what you feel comfortable with then go to the Hardware store and pick up samples of paints in those colours. I'm naughty I do the rounds of a few stores picking up 3 or 4 samples of each shade so I can tape them together for a decent swatch. Hang these on the walls of your rooms for a week checking them out as much as possible through the day and see the effect the light has on them, how you feel with that colour around you and the whole ambiance of the room. Then check furniture and furnishing stores for products in that colour, look at contrasting and complimenting colours with it, and gradually build yourself a whole room.

Professional decorators make things easy but you still have to feel comfortable with everything and sometimes that can take time to achieve.

With my lounge for example - it took the salesman and me 10 months to track down a pale blue fabric, I had to stay open minded on the exact shade and when this one did come up, I then built everything else around it.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 12:31AM
olldroo
Very well put midesign, I would add one other intuition - gut instinct. Sometimes we just know what is right and what is wrong with no plausible explanation at all. Unfortunately if you don't follow that gut instinct, disappointment usually follows.

Maybe though those considering colour should question what they like or don't like about a colour and why they instinctively shy away from it. There is probably something in the past that has caused it. When I think back to the pink and grey, blue and grey, yellow and grey and green and grey bathrooms of the 50s with the bath, basin and toilet done in the colour as well, it is a wonder any of us want to use any colour. So many of us still equate pink and blues with babies and nurseries, but we have moved on, colour shades have expanded and are much more sophisticated now, making our choices limitless. When choosing paint don't just look at what the stores have in chips on the walls, ask for their paint atlas to really see the variety that is available and to really open your eyes to possibilities.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 12:47AM
ladyrob1
@ all...its been a very interesting Australia Day for me discussing my favourite subject...colour. Not going to expound the scientific theories according to physics and chemistry except to say we humans are truly blessed to have such complex sight to be able to see the finest of colours that are reflected from each individual created animal and thing according to their molecular composition. I wish all could train their eyes to see even more...its extremely beautiful out there!

But, if there were no light we would see no colour, and if every object and plant and all created things were all comprised of the exact same molecules we would see everything in the same colour. There'd be no debate about "what colour is that"? Or..I don't like XYZ.

Sunlight is the magic comprised of different coloured rays which, on touching every created animal and living thing..all made in acordance with their own species, allows us to see beautiful colours.
What if I said that grass is really Red and the sky is really Orange? I've gotta be nuts?
But that's how it would be should we only be able to see the colours that the creatures and plants do not reflect under the sun........SIMPLES!
Love the meercat and appreciate that you don't give a diddly, Barbara but am really glad that Houzz has made colour a little more intriguing for you. I felt that you were missing out on so much!
Agree with Mydesign0401 ...its been very stimulating! I am always interested to know why people like and dislike certain colours and I do not ask these often annoying questions lightly. Realise that it could be relative and by association but I believe there's more to it.
Colour is intriguing! Amazing how many other sciences it involves...especially music. Some clever people have managed to put to colour actual classical musical compositions and have "played" these in light on the buildings surrounding the Brisbane River.
I'd love to SEE Madame Butterfly in colour!
Tonight on our local TV Channel the film AUSTRALIA is on.
I've seen it several times but will never tire.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 1:11AM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Hi Robin,
I've actually been spraying weeds almost all day and another day on it tomorrow and I'll be up to scratch for the next few months at least.
Weeds will be the death of me for sure ha-ha
As for all this talk of colour, it is precisely because of the countless posts and forums I've been reading together with the comments between us all, including debates, that I have had the guts to actually give it a go and not be satisfied with what I thought I did want being neutral!!!....I still do want a neutral look but I'm prepared to try more colour too and that's been a great positive experience for me and for all of that, I have to thank you, Midesign0401 aka Megan and olldroo for helping me to open my eyes.
Cheers,
Barbara
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 1:38AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
I fully agree with your idea of going through the rooms on Houzz, whcih in fact I was doing just last night.
As for furnishing the rooms in my home, I have shut the door after the horse has bolted so to speak, as I have almost all my furniture already in storage and all of it is solid hardwood furniture and a few leather ottomans, so what I need to do now I think, is to find the contrasting or feature colours that will help with each individual room to "pop" as the experts say and compliment my neutral theme.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 1:46AM
mldesign0401
Very well put ladies!
I have seen colour put to music, fascinating even if a bit beyond me....simple Simon sometimes.
@ladyrob, theres definitely more to it, but I did say to most people base colour decisions on things other than science. Some, like us, and others that seem interested factor in many more things too, absolutely!
@Barbara, nice to hear from you, I have been confused as another Barbara had posted some things and I was not sure if it were you I spoke with etc, anyway, the neutral barb with the indoor pool is the one I'm talking too, glad you are broadening your horizons, your becoming a bit of a colour expert, you've ticked the educated box, and perhaps as ollroo said, intuitive is what you already have. The trick is to be confident enough to feel your colour choices and not just think about them. I earnt no praise for that. But thank you anyway.
Being that your furniture is mostly hardwoods, the complexity and character of the various tones in the wood will be the neutral in your room, so maybe consider your wall colour to have more strength, or punctuate the room with a neutral colour that perhaps is full or double strength. Some of your (over used) but much loved hog bristle may work in double strength, think of colour to wrap your interior in a bear hug. Enclosing and encompassing your homes treasures in a colour wrap. If tour walls are too dull, the furnitures tone will dominate and busy your space, where the furniture will be what the eye picks up, like a messy overfilled space....compare that to a warm interior with the richness of a mid toned hardwood being complimented by a warm and confident colour.
I myself tend to like intimate areas, or ones where people gather should be warmer in colour..( or a stronger/darker colour, whichever is appliable. This would include for me, places like master bedrooms, living rooms, especially with fireplaces, library or dens (study nowadays) something in the ambience of an inglenook or musty book lined English library that makes me think this way! Anyway, spacious, communal areas like kitchens and bathrooms I like lighter and brighter. Entrance ways I like either, but you do create a feeling for guests here, so think about what the colour says about the rest of the home, I'd use a light timber wainscoting with the stronger coffe colour above it, so the crispness gave a bright fresh impression, while the warmth coffee gave an inviting comforting feel. Soft furnishing, fabrics and cushions, throes etc will not only soften the look, but will also bring a classic sophistication to the space. Colour is only one part of the story. The overall interior is built by many things.
Happy Australia day everyone!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 3:13AM
Barbara
@Midesign0401,
Megan,
Yes that's right, neutral girl, the country girl with the pool who has given you an open invitation to visit some day!!!
Thankyou for your help, very much appreciated, I agree now that I need a stronger colour on the walls to complement my neutral furnishings.
Me thinks, I might invest some time and money to have you help me with my choices when the time nears and I have plaster on the walls ready to paint.
I will never get it right and that doesn't bother me I know that now, but what you have done is help me understand colour just a wee bit better with your explanations and given this will be my one and only time to get it right for a long time, I would be most humbled if you would help steer me in the right direction.
I will be very open and happy to say yay or nay to a colour option that you suggest and I can see things in my head unlike some people who need to phisically see something and it will be as simple as, I like it or I don't and we move on to another choice.
I'm now starting to feel like I could go a deeper stronger colour, foreign to me really but I'm warming to it.
Just recently, I saw a green room, no idea of the colour but thinking it could be nice in the master bedroom, as I have allot of green and green & teal orientated bed linnen, I'm definitely drawn to these colours but with no knowledge of how to put them into a room properly, gosh I must be sick tlking green and not neutral ha-ha.....
What will you call me then if I'm not neutral Barb ha-ha
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 3:44AM
olldroo
Barbara, you will be pleased to know that Houzz did an article a few months back saying green is the new neutral, so you can use green and still be neutral Barb. That really evoked a lot of very interesting discussion. If I find it, I will post it for you, gotta get to bed now. I know midesign is the expert here and I do respect her knowledge and experience, but just to add my perspective on things in the hope it might help channel your thinking - with respect to your furniture, I do not consider natural timber a colour as such. Yes, it does have to be taken into account to enhance it, as does the light and aspect of the room, but there are many colour schemes you could use that will showcase your furniture. I think what I am trying to say is that you do still have a blank canvas to work from because natural timber fits in. Look at nature - the timber in the trees always blends and enhances, it never clashes. In all rooms we try to have a feature, in your case that can be your furniture and you create an environment that you and the furniture will live in. Does that make sense? Take a good look at nature really take in some local parks or gardens, even study some paintings of our beautiful bush, and I think a lot of ideas will come to you.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:09AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Thankyou so much for your help and perspective on my behalf.
I actually feel so enlightened about colour the more I read posts and forums and I know in my mind at least, that I'm doing such a turn around to be talking about colour, based on how negative I was, or should I say in my ignorant defence, simply misinformed due to lack of knowledge and understanding.
I sort of feel like a switch has been turned on ha-ha..... about how my home might look, when I finally put brush to plaster.
You know I have said in many of my posts on other forums, that I adore colour to wear, coral, pink, tangerine, green, hot pink, red etc...but I didn't feel comfortable about said colours in my home.
Recently, I saw a room with timber furniture and I think a leather lounge suite and the colours were terracotta, sort of Mexican style and I found myself going back to this photo over and over again and thinking, I can't do that in my home, hubby would have a fit ha-ha.....and I'm not saying that I could go that far but I think deep inside, I'm yearning to get colour into my home but not knowing how to do it, left me abdsolutely resolute, that the colour must remain neutral together with thinking that I already had all this timber and leather furniture and that I couldn't add colour either!!!
It's interesting I have this beautiful photo of a section of my garden, photo attached, and I would love to hang it on a canvas in my tiny little entrance or foyer, as it is the essence of me, the colours, nature as you say.
For many years, over 40+, I admired this beautiful gum tree some kms from my home and I always told hubby, I'm going to have that tree painted on a canvas and it will hang in my new home.
The tree was so unique I felt with it's candelabra arms, quite an unusual shape for a gum tree.
When I finally got to take a photo of it, it had died and I was to say the least devastated but I have comissioned a friend who loves painting trees as a matter of fact, to paint this tree for me and to make the tree look alive, as I'm not going to miss having this painting in my home come hell or high water!!!
All that said, it seems my love of nature has been nurturing for many years and perhaps this new neutral colour, GREEN, will play a huge roll in my home ha-ha
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 2:56PM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara, its such a good experience to suddenly discover that there's more to decor than just a neutral environment that one feels sure will be acceptable and inviting and even non threatening to all comers and our friends.
Houzz is a really great site to meet people skilled in interpreting our personal desires for our living spaces and you've really responded to the stimulii you have found here. I'm so glad that Megan and Oldroo have been able to relate to you and assist in this. As you know, I get very excited about anything that can have colours put on it...funny way of expressing that, but like Megan, I've been fascinated since childhood and would spend whole days playing with paints and coloured modelling clays and especially with my collection of coloured glass. My Dad was the artistic parent and he encouraged my excitement in every field. He was a pilot at one stage and although there were no supersonics in his days but he studied things like light and atmosphere and he would tell me that "up there" far away from earth and its sun it was dark and silent but that you could hear sounds and see colours that were not to be experienced on the ground....From him I accquired a passion for what the actual nature of colours made me feel....nothing to do with associations from my life. My most treasured posession is a fiery opal. I often wish that I could have all those light- colours in pots. Unfortunately one cannot imprison ethereal things. One can have but a glimmer of understanding.
It always seemed a pity to me that the walls in houses were mainly in creams and very pale shades.I promised myself that if ever I had to live in a colourless place I would plaster the walls with brilliantly coloured paintings.
It is a lot more exciting today!
I am excited about GREENS!
My artist friend has just painted a wall in her bedroom in what resembles Avocado green She has not made it uniform but has with worked with the sunlight coming through the window through the leaves of the trees outside and and has achieved a shimmer effect that I thought was impossible with flat paint. Truly amazing! Makes my mouth water...and I believe that this is the purpose of coloiur...to delight all our senses.
Spraying weeds is a sorry chore by comarison.
Congratulations on your new sense of colour!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 3:53PM
olldroo
Barbara, look closely at those colours in your garden photo and I can see a room happening - either soft green walls, with accents of the earthy pink from the flax and pops of brighter pinks and/or the yellows or have your walls in the soft earthy pink with green accents. That earthy pink would almost be a neutral but just give a softer backdrop to add the other colours to. Don't be frightened of using pink, there are many sophisticated shades of it now. You just need to bear in mind the aspect of the room to ensure the lighting does not change the shade of the paint and this is where sample pots are very useful to test on a wall first. The pink shade will be a warm colour where the green will be cool so again it comes down to aspect to decide if your room can handle a warmer colour or needs cooling down.

With the Mexican style room you love, if you feel the total effect is too over the top (and it would be a very warm room too) look at how you can break it down, or soften the colours to be more restful. The only problem I have with bright colours is that they can date quicker, and they can look gimmicky so one can tire of them quickly,

I do share your love of gum trees, I can't get enough of them. I chose the land we built our house on because of a beautifully shaped gum tree that was actually 3 trees that had grown as one. I had the choice of a whole street but the gum tree was what won me over and we built the house around it. Sadly about 35 years later the borer got in and we slowly lost it all.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 3:59PM
ladyrob1
@ Oldroo...since your colour inspiration comes from the Australian landscape...and why wouldn't it?...last night I watched a report of a collection of all the most valuable Australian works of Art on the themes...Beach, Bush, Trees, Outback...forget them all to be truthful. The largest painting symbolising the sun and its reflection on the earth, inspired by photos from NASA showing how sunlight draws all the colours out...was hung face down from the ceiling whilst all the other paintings were hung around the walls....painted GREEN...of course a particular "Australian" green, but the effect was marvellous.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 4:06PM
ladyrob1
@ oldroo...was re-reading these and other posts all of which have culminated in...our friend Barbara being more "illuminated" about colour and becoming more daring...Now for the real work in her new house!
Oldroo...you jokingly said ":I have grey hair...does that put me on the outer?"
I have grey hair too but I put a...COLOUR...in it...or a combination of packet colours to get something soft and close to what goes with my skin tone at this age..(.not the same as when I was younger with high colour in my face and dark auburn hair!.)
.Having said that..Life is really ALL about colour and whether we take notice or not it has a profound effect on us.
Now...your grey hair.....this is what you see...here we go again...but that is not what is there!

I have not studied hair, per se, but .your natural colour, still lies deep in the hair shafts. A hairdresser once explained it to me.
Our individual hair is still predisposed to reflecting a certain hue even though it is now seen as grey or white...Like everything coloured, what we see is not what is necessarily there!! Weird huh?
Have you ever attempted to put a colour in your hair yourself and have been led by the name on the packet...."yep, right, my hair was...dark blonde...light brown...that colour should be right.."...and have ended up with carrot coloured hair for example?

I've done it...a simple packet colour in lightest brown....and my hair turned GREEN!
This happens because the packet colour...despite it all looks like a brown of some description or a black...is really made up of a combination of specific bright colours mixed together until they, sort of, "subdue" each other. Each hair dye colour has a major undertone.....blue, green, violet...which we also do not see. It picks up and draws out your real colour...which itself has a major undertone colour and which is still there despite you see grey.
The combination of the chemical colours, special emphasis on the major undertone colours in the packet hair dye, combined with the chemical colour code still in your hair.....emphasising again...that is no longer visible....produces the hue to be expected when your natural major colour and that of the packet colour are combined.

So....Just a bit of fun,.oldroo....
YOU DO NOT HAVE GREY HAIR....so are not "on the outer".
All is not what it seems and everything that shows colour abides by this natural law.
If we understood only the basics, nobody would have colour dilemmas.
I could not resist one last Hoorah for colour science....its not as "hoy polloy" as many think. I have little art student kids who "get it."
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 4:59PM
olldroo
Oh, wow, I missed that - LOVE Australian art. Addicted to the tennis here at the moment.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 4:59PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Robin, thank you for your kind words and a glimpse of your life as a child.
My childhood has the fondest memories of my dad taking me fishing or teaching me to drive but the best one I remember, was when I was a wee little taca, probably about 4ish, as I can remember it, dad had give the three children a bath and I was tha last one out and he pulled the plug whilst I was still in the water, well I went up like a frog in a single leap, when that dreaded swirling sound started and I remember quite clearly the safety and love in my dads arms,who was incidentally laughing his head off ha-ha
I am strangely quite inspired by thoughts of green, the right green but non the less green and hopefully with the help of Megan at a later date, we will get the right green and all the other colours that I might just give a try!!!
As for my farm work, spraying here is done, allot of it walking but with a tractor and spray unit and a long hose, no back breaking backpack. I used the equivelant of 12 backpacks of spray so I've saved mostly my shoulders, heaps!!!
Now it will be into mums house to do some spraying but not much.
Always something heh!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:06PM
olldroo
OMG Ladyrob, we could have a ball!! You really make me laugh. Yes, I have done all the hair colours, yes I have had green hair too, yes, my hair went orange as the colour wore off. Been there, done the lot. My hair was always a very dark brown and I yearned to lighten it (pre the age of streaking) but didn't dare go blonde so as my hair greyed the hairdresser added light golden brown to it to change the grey to highlights and it was great for the first few years before the orange started appearing and then the green incident happened. I then read that the chemicals in hair dye could cause dementia and at that point I decided to sack my hairdresser and grow old gracefully. At least my hair matches my complexion and it is one less thing to worry about.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:13PM
olldroo
Barbara would you like some rain?? My garden needed watering but this is getting ridiculous.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:15PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
My previois bedroom was entirely pink with grey trim and I still like it, well the pink mostly.
It was a strong but baby pink but as you mentioned, if I did use pink, it would have to be the softest shade.
For now, my thoughts of the green are tickling the senses, the green in the succulents, front row in the photo, perhaps a little too grey/green for me but it is a soft green.
The pink flax is called P. Jester and it does also have green stripses in it and the tallest flax is a redish/purple/brown and is called P. tenax purpurea.
Ahhh, what possibilities, I'm actually excited!!!
The difficulty with any colour that I choose is that it has to work in all three areas, dining, kitchen and lounge are one big room, open plan.
Dining faces north and lounge is on the south side with the kitchen in the middle but anyway, plenty of time to get it right.
Must get lunch for the men.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:17PM
olldroo
Barbara, I'm really enjoying your new found enthusiasm, it is exciting and I'm sure you are going to pull this together. Open plan can be a bit of a nightmare for colours, but it sounds like the green is the way to go. A sage green could be nice, it has a grey touch without looking "grey". I love using lots of white in rooms too, it adds a clean crispness. Green and white in the kitchen area would be great for a fresh clean look, and then you can bring the pinks into the lounge area - but do watch your lighting there, south facing can tend to dullness at times, and some cheerful yellows in the dining area to take advantage of the north light. This way you will define each area without losing cohesiveness. A little touch of black in the dining and kitchen will sharpen the scheme even more.

http://www.houzz.com.au.photos/132781/hemingways-cottage-eclectic-kitchen-raleigh

Pella® 350 Series Casement window · More Info

Teri Turan · More Info

Crown Hill Remodel · More Info

Crisp Architects · More Info

Richland, OR: Connie and Obbie · More Info
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:43PM
olldroo
Sorry, don't know what happened there, the photos didn't come out.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 5:44PM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara..I hesitate to advise on how your 'pink'...if you decide on that, could work in all three areas...it is difficult, no matter how good I can be with words, to actually describe how to change one colour into many versions of itself without losing its identity and without mixing in a whole lot of other colours that are foreign to any pink.....and absolutely no black or greys used as "dullers". The idea is not to "kill" a colour.... which the addition of a 'black' of any desciption will assuredly do, but to make the colour reveal its tendencies and subtleties and work with those. That I suppose seems like double dutch but what you want to achieve is achievable absolutely with a miriad of hues of choose from, each one suitable for the space it adorns. Wish I could fly! I am excited with you that you are actually referring to nature for your colour inspiration. Here's a helpful hint. Should you come across a plant that has the exact colour you want...you will find, if you look purposefully and carefully, the exact opposite and complementary colour to the colour you like. Should you be able to purchase the colour of your choice...then try to find the other opposite one as close to it as is possible given the limitations of the colour ranges. Purchase a sample pot of each. then take....say the pink and spread some of it out on a flat smooth non pourous surface so you can stir it with your finger. Make several little lots ..enough paint so it does not dry out. Then get the colour you chose as its opposite and dip your finger in the pot and mix a bit of it into each little lot...then a bit more into one lot and a bit more into the next...careful not to get any of the opposite colour into either of the paint pots.....you'll see what I mean, you'll have several versions of the colour you want. Then if you think any one version or all of them are too strong a colour you can add white. Much like fingerpainting and an alternative to asking the shop assistant to tell you what colours are in the paint mix.....more fun too!
An artist friend and I spent an afternoon just mixing colours with a brand of paint that was unfamiliar to us....(each brand has its own version of the basic colours and uses different pigments and chemicals). We needed to see what certain combinations of colours in that brand would produce.
My friend came up with an exquisite and brilliant red/violet....she smiled with satisfaction and announced BOISENBERRY!
Have a puddle!
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 6:07PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
We have been very fortunate over the last month with quite substantial downpoors down here in western victoria but I know other states are struggling.
I am very pedantic about keeping my lawn green just because I like it that way, but not enough rainfall over winter, meant that the dam recieved no runnoff and we needed to have sufficient water for the cattle still, so I had to be realistic that the lawn just had to cope by itself this summer but with all the extra rain this month, it's still nice and green, how lucky!!!
Talking of hair colour, I had a similar experience trying to use a packet colour to enhance my own, ended up with this terrible dark brown, looked shocking, as I'm honey blonde but at least not green ha-ha
So head bowed in shame and guilt, I went to the hairdresser who could only add highlights to help it look better till it faded and grew out a bit, since then I have always goe to the hairdresser but I only get the very front and sort of perimiter done where the greys a re mostly coming and not the rest of my head so I don't feel I'frying my entire brain as yet!!!
Hubby did a chemical users course, a compulsory course to be permitted to purchase chemicals for farm use and he learned that the most dangerous chemicals are, not Roundup or glyphosate as everyone might think, but hair dye and diet coke!!!
Heh it's interesting that my post, 30min old appeared after both Ladyrob1's and yours, strange???
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 6:09PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
You won't believe this but I understood your last post perfectly, it's like I'm at school trying to learn something and all of a sudden the penny drops ha-ha
I get what you mean about colours that stay true to themselves without actually changing them.
I will do a bit of a garden stroll this afternoon for inspiration but as I am such a long way off being able to actually put colour samples up on walls, (no plaster) I have plenty of time.

Also, when the veranda actually goes up or shoud I say I mean the roofing, that will undoubtedly change the amount of light that filters into all three of these rooms.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 6:24PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
I have taken down the picture numbers and will have a look shortly.
As I just mentioned to Ladyrob1, once the roof goes onto the veranda and house, the light will change dramaticaly and hence the colour choices too.
My kitchen will get very little light being in the middle of the house, the dining has a huge 2.6mtr wide viewing window to within .5mtr off the floor, with no transoms or mullions, so there will be no shadows, just brightness of light in that section probably coming right up to the island bench.
The lounge on the other hand will be quite dark, with and equally large window but with transoms and mullions and it includes the back door which will be all glass, in fact all my external doors will be glass with aluminium hinged doors.
The entry, which is very small, right beside the dining room is about 2mtrs x 2mtrs and will also have two glass doors, so heaps of light there.
Hopefully the roofing iron will be going on soon,as the roofer is coming this week to measure up, then I will begin to be able to document the differences of light in each room in summer and through to the other seasons as well before I make any definite colour choices but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I will try to get the help of Midesign0401 when the time comes.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 6:31PM
olldroo
Sorry Barbara, I don't know what has happened here that the photos didn't come up and allow you to click straight onto them. I will have to see if I can find out what Houzz has done. They are just photos of Sage green rooms that I think could give you some ideas. Go to the search above and just type in Sage green walls, click for photos and you will get all the photos and more I found. Your house sounds lovely, dying to see photos, and you are very wise to give yourself 12 months through all the different seasons before deciding anything.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 7:59PM
Luke Buckle
Hi Olldroo and Barbara, I just spotted you were having problems with photos not appearing. The problems was that you were using links starting with houzz.com/au instead of houzz.com.au so I have now corrected them for you and they should all be appearing. Let me know if you have any more problems. Luke
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 8:50PM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...It is difficult at any time to describe only in words without illustrations and/or a practical on the spot demo something that is usually a very "hands on" activity....so glad I didn't sound as if I was "talking through my hat".
Something I omitted was that when lookung at petaled or leafy plants for colour inspiration...the 'opposite" or complementary colour is always found somewhere hidden on the same plant. A very obvious example is the deep, velvety violet Pansy with its brilliant yellow. centre..(Violet and Yellow being direct complements)...but not as obvious is.a ground cover...(some consider it more of a weed).'.Wandering Jew'. its foliage looks every bit as if it is a grey but on the underside of the leaves there is purple...so the colour of the fronts of the leaves is really avery muted yellow/green complementary.

Ah the colour secrets of plants! LOVE IT ALL and always much to learn.

Sounds as if your house is coming along., that you are more and more excited and I feel excited for you!
Have a question - you mentioned a Blue Metal rock you have that you like....is Blue Metal native to your area?
I am very partial to blue metal, especially in large pieces. For me it adds a clean serenity to wherever it is placed. Wish I could see into it..all the little specks of colour I suspect are there.
All my drives are covered in blue metal all of which, in my much younger years, I had delivered by the truckload from " G.G.G Sand and Gravel" ( for Give a Gal a Go") ...her husband walked out on her and left her with a man's job! She and I would shovel until we could shovel no longer then she'd go and pull beers until school was out.
Native to this region...The Granite Belt...is every kind of granite...its a blessing really...one can just go bush and bring home a ute load There are quarries of sandstone too..Sadly gone are those days of .digging rubble drains at 3-4a.m before the sun came up and loving it.
Won't it be exciting when you get the roof on! Bet Megan will be excited to assist you with your colour scheme.
P.S I am a pink girl in my bedroom and bathroom though confined to soft furnishings due to the timber interior which i would never, never, never paint....although a few dark red mahogany panels to give the place a bit of a 'posh'; ambience is an idea niggling at the back of my mind...and some Capiz shell pendants and wall sconces...after all ,the house will have its 100th birthday soon and should put on a bit of "glam"!
Do you have any tip where I could search online for vintage style wall sconces ?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 9:13PM
olldroo
Thanks Luke, I was about to look for your email but was hoping you would be lurking:)) So how do we know what is what - I just clicked on the search on this page, which is Houzz.com.au, typed in Sage Green walls and then went with the photos that came up. They are obviously connecting in some way if I can access the photos on Houzz.com from this page. Something is missing somewhere.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 9:33PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
I have attached two photo's of my bluestone "seat", sorry Ruby just had to be in one shot ha-ha
This area is planned to have a fairly large 4' birdbath made of steel and tiled but I haven't started on that project yet. Have all the pieces, just need to actually get going on it.
Also took a photo of the pink/green flax plant but that paticular shade of pink won't do, reminds me of the old dusty pink of years gone by but I do like the pale green and cream also shown in the photo.
As for the wall sconces, I have picked some very nice ones for my home from Beacon Lighting but they are definitely quite modern and petite, however, this web site is a good start for you, I'm sure they will have a series of vintage ones.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 10:34PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Love the photo's you posted with only the Pella perhaps a bit too mustardy in colour for me but still nice all the same, favourite perhaps the Teri Turan together with the white skirts and ceiling but don't know if it would all gel together in the three rooms but again I keep saying, heaps of time.
It will depend on whether we have timber floors or tiles.
I'm leaning towards tiles but hubby wants timber and although I love timber, I want less maintenence and tiles win hands down with that.
It's a great start to be looking at this new world of colour for me all the same!!!
As for waiting 12 months to go through all the seasons being a wise decision before choosing colours, truth is, it's a matter of fact that there won't be any more funds till this time next year to go to the next stage.....so waiting is not by choice ha-ha
We will get the veranda concreting done perhaps late Feb to early March, just the hot weather holding us back now, can't concrete if the temp could get too high, makes the concreting susceptible to cracking.
The roof and spouting next and then we will be able to start laying the limestone blocks over winter, so we'll still be quite busy.
We also have cows due to calve very soon, only days away actually and hubby and I love our cows and are very excited with the impending births as we have used artificial means to produce these pregnancies togehter with stored sperm from bulls that have been dead more than 40+ years so we should be creating a little herd of cattle that used to be around such a long time ago.
Enough about the cows though, you don't want to get me started on that but thank you again for your help and I will have a close look at all the sage green homes on Houzz.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 10:56PM
Barbara
Luke,
Thanks for your prompt response to the photo dilemma for olldroo and myself.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 10:57PM
olldroo
Barbara, the downside to tiles is that they are very hard and unforgiving. Over the years they really do cause skeletal damage especially to knees, hips, and backs. There are now special rugs to help absorb the impact but you really do need to wear well supported and padded shoes at all times to prevent problems, especially in old age. I do understand what you mean about maintenance with timber though, especially in high traffic areas where they need to be refinished every few years literally shutting down parts of your home for days at a time. I've been torn with my main living area, but am going to try laminate, one of my joeys has it and absolutely swears by it, especially with young children. I am very disappointed, the one I was looking at looked like tiles but it seems to have been discontinued. Just my luck!!

Isn't it a pain how money always plays such an important part in all the fun things.

I don't mind hearing about your cows, I just love them, they are such gentle creatures. Takes me back to when I was a kid and we used to feed the calves by putting our hand in a bucket of milk and letting the calf suck on our fingers till it got the hang of sucking. It was so special helping them and I loved their rough tongues. I was actually taught to ride on a cow too.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 11:44PM
Sylvia Brown
Never liked grey decor, it's lifeless to me!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 12:57AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Well great to know I'm in like minded company when it comes to my cows!!
Know all about teaching calves to drink from a bucket, fortunately, with beef cows, there's seldom any need for that, although we do seem to have a higher than usual incidence of twins and so we try to foster a calf onto another cow if she has unfortunately lost her own but failing that, our modest little jersey house cow, Delta is currently feeding two such calves, well one is a twin and the other an orphan.
Back to Houzz talk, yes I'm mindful of the work required to refurbish timber floors, not something I want to put myself through but I won't argue with hubby if he's adamant about wanting timber.
In fact I have already planed to have tiles in the kitchen for just such a reason of low maintenence and the timber is to be in the dining, lounge and passage.
Our home is not on a concrete slab but concrete stumps with joists and bearers, so the impact on joints should be far less but point taken.
We decided on stumps after talking with a mechanic who said he couldn't wait to get home and walk on a floor that gave a little under his feet, hardly negligable to most people but he could certainly feel the difference.
Our daughter has laminate or click floors and loves them but they can only be re-surfaced only a few times before they need to be replaced, so not for me, personally I also don't like that fake perfect look and if I had to have this kind of floor and not real wood, I'd have tiles, stupid I know but I just love the real stuff or nothing.
The tiles that I eventually found for our home after trying in vain to find something I could like when our daughter was looking for her bathroom, were bought some 4 years ago now and wouldn't you know it, also discontinued when I started to consider extending the tile zone, where the timber flooring was to go.
My only solution if tiles end up winning out, is to choose a darker tile that matches the one I already have in tone but I am going to go for a bit of a search first, as I think Beaumont tiles still have my existing tile, just need to compare the shop tile with mine however, if they too are unavailable when the decision is made then perhaps back to the darker tile.
There is aparently a tile that looks like timber, sounds interesting but haven't seen it yet, probably will look too fake for me but we'll see.
As for sage green walls, I've looked and found one that just wets the whistle so to speak, you'll be surprised but it has a very light sage wall colour, white cabinetry and a black benchtop, real nice actually, will see if I can create a link or copy the details at least.
No, no idea on how to add a photo or link to this email so the kitchen is Figura Kitchens & Interiors - Transitional
Ohh such fun looking!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 1:16AM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...thankyou for the photos! I have flax plants just like that one in pink and green (diluted versions of the complementaries red and bright green). MIne are more brightly coloured...probably due to the positioning, the climate and the soil.. You can see right down into the lower parts of the leaves that the colour can be brighter. Agree with you, its a musty - looking pink but the more concentrated versions of it are really lovely...though not my choice for a pink in a room serving any purpose either.
No doubt whatsoever that Megan will help you sort that out when the time comes and, by the sound of it, you will have trained your eyes to see deeper into the realm of colour too...by then. I am sure you will have a wonderful colour-choosing experience.
I am so glad that you are being brave and actually confronting colour and having that "whistle-wetting"experience. Colour can be scary...having been made so by many years of...indoctrination telling students and later adults how complicated a subject it is....IT'S NOT!' Its very simple...but the simplicity does not make money for the paint industry and neither does it do so for the artist-paint selling industry. They would, naturally, sell you ten cans of paint rather than just three!
Those who want to vie for the job of re-painting my red house have come up with the most amazingly complicated systems of colour.
I can see from what Megan and you and oldroo write that you all subscribe to the traditional " Pro" approach when it comes to choosing paint colours...everybody does, and it works to a very satisfying degree, and there are some magnificent colour masterpieces in beautiful homes all around the world.....
But I never cease to wonder what would happen if, for outrageous example, there were only three colours, two versions of each plus white allowed to be sold by Law...and everybody was obliged to use only these and only one brand or suffer the consequences...whatever one could imagine that these might be?!
That, to me, would be an extremely tantalising scenario...but it would never happen, there's too much money to be made selling millions of colours to the millions of enthusiastic Houzzers doing wonderfully creative projects...that..."POP".

All the "hard and difficult" part has been done by the experts for all of us looking for just the perfect colour for our environment, and that, in itself is exciting....so I wish you Houzzers all great pleasure on your "Colour Hunt"!

Thanks Barbara for the photo of your blue metal rock seat...I don't see a lump of grey stone!
Love it!
The bird bathe sounds lovely...can't wait for a pic of that either.
Tiles or Timber floor? On a pier suspended floor I would go Timber and not just for my love of it....however, where to get the timber today that has been seasoned for 40-50 years that will last for another 100 well beyong our life-span? And what else but well seasoned (not kiln dried) timber that will last?
I did not know that the "click-clack" flooring had such a limited life span!
So much for doing a place up and unloading it ASAP!.

Recently I've been faced with renewing some of the external timber handrails around an eastern open deck I had added in 2006.
I wondered why the newer timbers and not the really old ones needed replacing or repairing? Now I know!
So maybe the dilemma "tiles or timber" floor surfacing is a lot more complex than just making a choice between materials.
On a suspended floor on piers maybe a little subsidance would crack (today's) tiles..but I'm no Pro when it comes to floor technology. Notwithstanding, I'd be sourcing some really old ones....and the same with timbers for the floorboards....but that's just me, I prefer the enduring for my "shelter" over shiny and new, and I suppose that is why I have a preference for underground houses..
LOVE THE PIC OF RUBY!...What a cuddly looking dog! She doesn't know what a loving human she owso sturdy and shiny! What's her breed again?
Had this pic sent to me when I was contemplating buying my underground house at WhiteCliffs...out where the opals are....Blue doona cover...me? NUP!
    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 6:58PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Hi Robin,
You know, not so long ago I could very well have fit into that 3 colour lifestyle, given as you know all too well, that I was a pretty strong advocate of neutral only but I am too so pleased, that with the guidance of just a few, I have bloomed just like a flower, wondering how I could have thought I'd be happy with just neutral!!!
It did make a huge difference to me when Megan said that my furniture was neutral and that I was still able to use colour, rather than assuming I couldn't do that because of the furniture.
Last night I kept myself awake walking through from room to room, in my mind that is, pondering the sage green colour and seeing how it would appear and blend with my furniture and tiles.
I have an interesting talent, where I can actually see a design or a colour just in my head and imagine it all in allot of detail, I don't need to see it on paper.
I do however, loose so much sleep because once I've started this pondering, I will sleep and then as soon as I wake any time through the night, I will start all over again, a bit of an anoying compulsion at times but just something I seem to have always done.
As for my flooring, we have a local timber mill in our little town and we had all but chosen our flooring, I think to memory, queensland bluegum but don't hold me to that, all I know is that the timber is brown and has no red.
It was back then $36 a mtr and the tiles I bought were the same price but then there's the extra $$$$$ for the tile underlay.
I do like blackwood but I'm not sure if we could afford it as there is a substantial area to cover, again don't hold me to it but I think just a little over 110 lineal mtrs.
If we do choose timber, it will only be kiln dried, nothing else available really, also love feature timber and it actually costs more to have wood with imperfections and knots, go figure.
Ruby is a mongrel, border collie/kelpie/heeler and I do love her to death.
Went spraying to the daughters next door yesterday and lost sight of her, called and called and raced home to get the ute, went searching in the dam, thinking the worst, snake bite, got back home and she was waiting for me, burst into tears whilst asking her where she had got to???.....must have taken the shorcut home through the paddock but she usually doesn't leave my side, probably spotted a bunny ha-ha
That's one of my lives gone if I have multiple like a cat!!
Have to agree that the blue and the green cover on the couch for that matter are too hard on the eye for me!!
One step closer today with the veranda, all rafters finished, now just the batons to go but have to wait till the roofer comes this week, to check what he want us to do.
By the way, did you have a look at the Beacon Lighting website for your antique wall sconces???
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 10:27PM
bathbear
This is a plea to stop the grey that is taking over our world of interiors and exteriors! Enough.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 11:18PM
olldroo
Back again, ladies, very busy day today. Couple of points, I think there is a lot of difference in the quality of laminate flooring, I've noticed the thickness of it seems to vary a bit so that could be a factor too. My Joey's has been down 15 years, is in heavy traffic areas and still looks amazing especially when half that time it has taken the bashing small children give it. I have to do more research on this but I think it is one time what you spend is what you get.

Interesting point about the flooring on stumps and just how much give would be in it, the spacing in your bearers could affect that too. I rather think the thickness of floor tiles could negate it. Barbara, I have seen the timber look tiles and they are beautiful!! Unfortunately, the price isn't - around $100 sqm. These photos are from Beaumont's website
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 3:43AM
olldroo

Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 3:44AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Love the lounge room actually in the photo, very nice.
Might be me but I still think that these floors look too perfect, hence very fake, you know not enough obvious flaws.
Thats one of the reasons that I don't like the laminate or click floors, which as I mentioned earlier, the daughter has, they are too perfect, with the perfect joins and the colour no matter how hard one tries, just doesn't look like the colour of real wood.
You are right that there are different thicknesses of this type of flooring, hence the better quality ones that are thicker, can withstand more makeovers in their lifetime.
I'm simply not sold on this type of flooring, just can't beat the real stuff with it's inperfections and features like real knots etc...
As for my stumps and bearer spacings, they are quite wide apart as the architect talked us into using LVL bearers and LVL joists, better feel but still strong.
We have 13 stumps (I think, been too long) over only 5 rows in an area of 17mtrs in length and 12mtrs wide,
Our bearers covered the 17mtrs in 2 pieces only and our joists were in one piece just over 12 mtrs wide, boy were they heavy!!!
I've attached some pictures.
Anyway, we'll see what comes of the laminates, I might be pleasantly surprised, hubby would just love me to pick a laminate floor, as he laid our daughter's flooring and it was so easy.
I don't want easy though ha-ha.....I want nice!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 4:09AM
olldroo
Blimey, Barbara, that looks bigger than a football field. I hope you are in training. Going to be amazing when it is finished.

Don't know how my post came up twice, but yes, agree with you on the knots and bits, they do add character. I love the first one, it is very country looking but also would suit my beach look, but I really don't want anything as patterned as that. It's not me. At least you have time on your side to look around for things.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 4:44AM
ladyrob1
@bathbear...Agree wholeheartedly about the grey, unfortunately we didn't start the trend so have no power to stop it. Maybe if a law were passed to make it illegal? Blame it on the architects and on those who had the bright idea to make homes from concrete....and then started the explosion of contemporary concrete housing. Honestly, I'd rather go baxkwards and live in a cave! Must convede though that there are some rather classy contemporaty homes in concrete.
What do you think of polished concrete floors?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:55AM
ladyrob1
@ Barbara...I know about obsessing over an idea that is driving me to distraction. Its something that seems to happen to creative people whos total being revolves around creating things.
I had no idea I would send the two of you....you and oldroo into a tizz over timber floors V tiles! Its been a very interesting read! Can't say I like that fake wood design on the click clack flooring. It looks a little like my self-styled and made parquetry hallway and kitchen. I think imitation anything looks just like that. Floorboards were once the accepted and logical things for floors until the timber became scarce and expensive and...trendy. Only a few years back timber floors were automatically covered with carpet and if you had no carpret you felr underpriviledged...I'm talking 25 years ago!
When I pulled up my carpets the floor boards were perfect and there was hardly a join from one side of the building to another. I am so very fortunate to have such beautiful timbers. No doubt Megan's floors are equally gorgeous!

GOSH Megan,,,what an enormous house! Suppose the only idea id to build a great Aussie homestead! All I can think about being disabled in my legs, ir the cleaning! I hope you are having a Vacumaid installed!
The fellow who has done all my renovations says that concrete floors create "Radon Boxes"...as in they are cancer causing. He refuses to build a house on a concrete slab. Much heltheir on piers, he says.

Are you having floor insulation?
I had some installed a few years back but could not vrawl under the house to keep an eye on the installers...who were some yobbos sub contracted by the insulation company that seemed very reputable.
Did you hear about the Queensland insulation debacle?
Anyway, since the floor insulation was installed after the house was built and not at the stage when the timber flooring was laid..( they didn't have insulation in those days) .have a guess what went to live between the floor insulation and the floorboards? YIKES!

Guess I'm spoilt but I would not lay a timber floorboard floor if the boards had too many joins...so don't really appreciate that imitation wood flooring because it makes a feature out of short boards. To me it looks like a cross between tiles and floorboards.....just thought, though,....did you say, oldroo, that this flooring was meant to resemble wood tiles?
WEll, ladies,,,and Barbara in particular...would not like to have to make your decision!
I'd be going for the most natural-looking floorboards available....knots and the lot..and I think I'd be pleased to pay the price.....though, I'd still need to be convinced that the timber was absolutely seasoned.,,,,difficult one,
We have two sawmills here and its still difficult to get goos timber
.My floorboards are also tongue and groove!

I have not found my vintage wall sconces yet. Am tending towards lanterns...imitation hurricane lamps in brass....depending on the light patterns they make on the timber walls.
Give your cuddlesome Ruby a pat for me. How devastating to think you believed you'd lost her.
I'm sleepless tonight because I fell asleep yesterday afternoon,,,,
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 8:39AM
Barbara
@olldroo,
I keep getting everyone telling me how huge the house is and yet it is only three bedroom and an office, not counting the pool of course, which consumes another 7 sqrs.
It could just be the photo that makes it look big, camera angle!!!.....no argument it's not small but I wouldn't say huge ha-ha.....about 23 sq, comfortable bedrooms at roughly just under 4mtrs sq with our master 4.5mtrs x 5.5mtrs, none of these kit home sizes of 3m x 3m.
We have a kingsize bed so our room just had to be spacious for it and I plan on QS in the other two bedrooms.
Office is 3.2m x 3.5m quite large as far as offices go but will have a sofa that can be used as extra sleeping for family when they visit with friends and as a re-sale in the future, this office could be used as a nursery, as there is direct access to the master.
The bathroom is quite large at also 4mtr sq, as a result of the huge spa bath going into it at 1.2mtrs wide, I couldn't squash it in or it would have looked like an after thought, so I have a hob either side of about 700mm, wasted space one could say but it showcases the spa.
Also have the stepless invalid friendly shower, again, this needed room.
I'm sitting here laughing as I found myself constantly trying to justify the size of the rooms to hubby but the frame is up and there's no goiung back now ha-ha.
I think I've spent too many years lately both in a caravan and now this tiny 7sq relocatable home and I just want SPACE ha-ha
As for the flooring, yes I have plenty of time, I will be interested to see what you decide on, given that you too dislike the strong patterning, a little less would be a little more as the saying goes as far as how busy the pattern is on these types of floors, too many joins for me too, that's really what I dislike the most.
Wouldn't even have real timber with so many joins but it's all about being able to fit the flooring into the common family car!!!
I've attached a funny picture that I'm sure you will get a laugh out of given your early years with calves and I've also attached a plan of the house.
Well I best be off to spray some more weeds, very nice cool day to do it.
Cheers,
Barbara
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 3:15PM
jamidreamer
I love grey. Where I live we have lots of cloudy days... Use a pop of colour using accessories around the room or wall art. There are million ways to use with grey. Beige is not on my list...
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 3:45PM
Barbara
@Ladyrob1,
Hi Robin,
Yes I agree with the real flooring versus fake flooring, too may short planks which accentuates the repetitiveness and bussiness of the pattern.
Will have to see how the buget looks and on the ultimate decision between hubby and me.
Poor man usually always looses over me, you know, happy wife, happy life ha-ha
If I say I want tiles, he'll begrudginly agree ha-ha
As for the cleaning, rememberr I cvommented elsewhere that I was having a rumba, well maybe a few actually.
My home is empty allot of the day with us out on the farm so its quite clean, no pets inside either you may remember, so it shouldn't be that hard and I stupidly love cleaning!!!
As for underfloor insulation, yes our permit required it and we have installed what's called Foilboard, a foam sheeting 1.2m x 2.4mx 10mm, much like the foam in an old 6 pack esky or fruiterers tomato boxes with the addition of a foil type substance on one side for the insulation.
Ours was fitted just under our floorboards, about 50mm and given our floor is almost 750mm off the ground, I shouldn't have any wrigglies in it, could get rodents but will be sealing the manhole pictured in one of the previous photo's with a solid well fitted door and I will be regularly feeding any unwelcome rodents with bait and I will do a random crawl under from time to time to assess any problems as hubby in claustrophobic, it's me or no one!!!
As for my beloved Ruby, she did in fact get many unwanted cuddles ha-ha.....and I say unwanted because she is inundated by them from me and sometimes when I cuddle her too much, she too is claustrophobic, she starts to growl and I cuddle more, ha-ha and so we have these litle growling matches until I let her go and then she will come straight back for more!!!
She is my constant companion and at 9 although very fit and healthy, I fear for her loss although I hope I still have her perhaps another 9 years, it can happen, dogs living to 18, I hope I'm the lucky one!!!
I toild olldroo I must be off to spray, so this time I am off.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 4:07PM
Jennifer Hogan
Wow - I have missed a great color discussion while away on holiday!
Barbara, I have just a couple of suggestions for you in addition to what you have already been given.
- Look through your closet and your jewlery and your home for the colors that make your heart sing. We all buy and own the colors we love. It doesn't matter what is in style or what some designer says we should like, it is your home and you are the only one who has to love the rooms you live in.
- When you have found the colors that you love lay out a large white sheet (preferably in natural sunlight). Take samples of your flooring and counters and carpets and furniture that you know will not be changing and lay out the samples as your home flows. Add color to each room from the selection of colors you found throughout your belongings. Do the colors flow from room to room? Play with them, move them around until you find the color flow that works for you. Create your own signature color pallet.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:15PM
Jennifer Hogan
This is the color pallet I picked for my home. The blue greens don't work great with the deep red, but both work well with the purple based taupe.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:17PM
Jennifer Hogan
This is my actual pallet
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:19PM
olldroo
Barbara, I keep forgetting about your pool, it looks amazing. Definitely years in a caravan would have one bursting for space, space and more space but you probably have storage down to a fine art. Does the third bedroom have skylights or have you built something into the roof line?

Jennifer - your organisational skills are amazing and a great way to bring a colour scheme together. Your colours look great and very unusual, especially what looks to be aubergine. Love to see some finished photos of rooms.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:37PM
Jennifer Hogan
I don't have many pictures on this computer (still at work), but here are a few.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:56PM
Jennifer Hogan
After hiring 2 decorators that both told me if I wanted color I would need to replace the pink undertoned tile throughout my house or change the kitchen cabinets (yellow undertone) I decided to follow my mother's advice. If Mother Nature puts colors together you can use the colors together. My inspiration came from this painting that I had hanging in my family room. The purple gray clouds worked beautifully as a backdrop for the leopards. Purple was really the only color that I could think of that worked worked with pink and yellow. The blue greens also worked with the carpet (living room and 3 bedrooms) and tile (bathroom). I painted the main portion of the house and all of the ceilings with 2 shades of the purple undertoned taupe. The deep purple red made the cabinets pop and separated them from the purple enough to make it work. The bar stools are getting replaced - just haven't found exactly what I want.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 8:25PM
Jennifer Hogan
The colors are all from Devine Paint - Bavarian and Capuccino are the taupes, Date, Almond and Steamer are the blue greens, Icing is my White and Bordeaux is the deep red
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 8:32PM
Jennifer Hogan
Although I am not much of a blue person I do love this combination of blue and greige. May use this combination in my next home. . .
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 8:48PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Ahh you did spot the internal bedroom, nothing purchased yet but, plans have a compulsory skylight, so wiil soon have to go shopping, as it will be required when the roof goes on.
This room came about after scrapping the buttlers kitchen/office, when I came to the realization that I was going to spend my life inside a room without a view whilst either preparing meals or doing bookwork.
Had a bit of a thought of placing a window high up on the internal wall between the office and this bedroom to try to create more natural light coming from the large window in the office. Thoughts were for this window to be full width of the room and about 500mm deep down from the ceiling but hubby hates the idea, doesn't think it will work and we still have to have the skylight anyway, so this idea I'm fairly sure is off the table and would probably look strange so high up at the ceiling too!!!
Have been out doing more framework on the veranda's and hope to get more done after hubby wakes from his nap ha-ha.....had a milk coffee and asleep like a big baby, ha-ha
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 9:02PM
olldroo
Well you sure got it right with the kitchen, how those cupboards pop was what first caught my eye. Your colours have really given the pink undertone in the tiles a very sophisticated look. It follows my motto of when in doubt flaunt it. Don't play safe in other words and you have pulled it off. Definitely having that painting was a big help, amazing how one thing like this can pull a whole scheme together.

I hate that word 'greige' but those shades are just perfect with blues and you can create a very restful look or go strong for some drama. That would be a colour scheme I could really live with. I wasn't much of a blue person either, until I discovered the cooling effect it had in my rooms and the overall restful feel it created.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 9:16PM
Barbara
Jennifer,
Well first of all welcome back, hope your holiday was good.
Not to hash over too much old stuff but if you have read the earlier posts, I was always going to be a beige girl come hell or high water and GREY, was never to enter any part of my life, period!!!!
After much help from Midesign 0401, aka Megan, Ladyrob1 aka Robin and olldroo, I have been gently nurtured into the world of colour, albeit I made it perfectly clear that I adore colour but not in my home, just on my person.
I am still quite a neutral girl so your bright colouring is a little too much for me personally but I could imagine your home to be very pleasant and happy and most importantly, YOU but I think I have found a colour thanks to olldroo actually, with sage green, sample rooms also in earlier posts, together with natural timber furniture, leather and the slightest hint of black as an accent.
If I do go with this colour and it is the best one yet, it will be used in the entire home at least until I reach the bedrooms but probably there to, except maybe different shades, maybe!!!|.
I have a tile, not real travertine, just a tile called travertine to go into the kitchen, laundry, bathroom and toilet and the green I choose must compliment this tile.
Thankfully, it does have a green in it albeit more an olive green but this is still a more exiting colour scheme for me that Hog Bristle throughout!!!
Never thought I'd be so excited to use colour when I was so adamant my home was never ever having anything other that neutral.
Thankyou for your input though, it is still most helpful.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 9:20PM
Jennifer Hogan
The key to any home being perfect is that the person or people that live in the home feel wonderful in the rooms.
My sisters each have beautiful homes that reflect their personalities.
Susie's is a high powered executive. Her neutral and main color is Devine Moss. Her piano room is a deep orange red and her livingroom (where she has moss green carpet and a couch with fall colors) is beige (devine latte). Her upstairs colors were selected by her daughters and include devine Victorie, Devine Peacock and Devine Spray. (Pallet Attached)
My sister Betty is a retired pediatrician. Her walls are white except for her bedroom, which is the palest blue. Her wardrobe is navy, tan and white. She would never be comfortable in a richly colored home. However, her office was decorated in a disney theme, each exam room painted and decorated from a different Disney animated film.
Lisa is a stay at home mom and decorated her home in a country style home with the typical country creamy whites and light blue, navy, peach and tans.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 8:57AM
Barbara
Jennifer,
Yes agree 100% that ones home need to feel wonderful, especially not only all who live in it but for those that make it a stopping point.
I expect when your family actually get together in one another's homes, it's a very happy place.
That however, is more to do with the type of person you are and I expect you are a lovely person, bright, bubbly, loving and happy, as that's what colour can do.
Goodness knows what my state of mind would have been, in an all neutral home, not necessarily sad but certainly not as happy, me thinks, as I seem to feel now, when I think about the colours that will adorn my home and make it feel far more personal and not simply "safe" with neutral!!!
I simply love colours but mainly to wear and never thought I could actually put those colours on my walls, well I'm still not exactly doing that, as I'm not having, tangerine, yellow, blue or pink but I'm making a start to be surrounded by colour.
Today I'm wearing hot pink ha-ha
Must be off to town, I live in Australia.
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 1:26PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
I have been into town this morning and picked up as many catalogues that I could from the paint shop, specifically green shades, so I will enjoy looking through it.
Not sure if I got a Taubmans catalogue but heaps of time to get one, perhaps at Bunnings, as they have such a huge selection.
I think my green will be allot like those ones you posted earlier, as I seem to leaning more to the olive tone that a lime green colour.
My spare bedrooms will be for grown ups, so I'm hoping to make them some what luxurious but I do want to keep the rooms sort of unisex too, so no flowers or ribbons etc...
Your rooms look very lovely and when I get the Taubmans catalogue if I don't already have one, I will look at the greens including the Birkit.
I haven't long walked in and left this morning at 8.30 so it's been a usual biggish day for me with lots of walking, as I had to leave the car for an 1 1/2 to have a stone chip repaired in the windscreen.
I'm off to look at the charts and I'll be back with a report.
By the way, I do have your personal email that you posted me some time ago, do you want me to continue this conversation about paints and colours privately???
This post is getting quite long ha-ha.....and we've digressded some what from the forum question!!!
Cheers,
Barbara
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 8:11PM
olldroo
Oh, OK, I had forgotten I gave you my email. Good idea.

Just a warning, the colours in the catalogues are not always 100% accurate, the individual paint chips you can pick up are. I don't think my greens are what you want, I just wanted to show you how the accent colours have made the rooms look totally different.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 9:49PM
Barbara
@olldroo,
Just went to email you but I mustn't have the address quite right.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 10:27PM
psychiatrist office dark grey carpet,warm grey walls
off white window shades.I need 2 comfortable arm chairs,desk...
gcent
Why does every color consultant try to get me NOT to use grey
I've visited several different free consultants at...
justine7700
Does it come in a natural steel, (grey) finish? Or do you have somethi
Looking to use your hardware to hang a mirror (door)...
geneperih
Decorate my kitchen
My kitchen has been a nine year project. The cabinets...
tam1777
Finishing my mint and grey bedroom
I put in a grey 'driftwood' laminate flooring in my...
viennah
Can't decide on color
Please help us in making the right choice with our...
deniz007
Ah - Steam Radiators!
Just bought a new house and am going to do a full cosmetic...
zanyish
Area rug w border
I am creating a 10 x 12 area rug. The main area will...
sjssta