Can I get adequate ventilation with an overhead vent hood over my island cooktop? What about a downdraft?
jgiga
March 10, 2012 in Photo Questions
Robin Amorello, CKD CAPS - Atmoscaper Design
As long as the hood you are choosing is meeting the ventilation requirements spelled out in the cooktop specs and installed at the proper height, you should be fine. Making the hood slightly wider than the cooktop will increase the capture area which will help the cause is you do a lot of smokey cooking. Downdrafting is generally not considered as effective as overhead ventilation, but conditions or owner preferences sometimes make it a more desirable option. I would speak with a knowledgable appliance dealer for recommendations. Good luck with your project.
March 10, 2012 at 12:56PM   
jgiga
Thank you! My kitchen designer has been advising a downdraft for aesthetics, but I am afraid it will be ineffective, as I do a lot of Indian cooking. Then I read that an island hood didn't work well period and got concerned.
March 10, 2012 at 1:22PM   
Given the Indian cooking, I think you will find the overhead more effective. I've not had any complaints after the fact of island hoods not working as intended. I would tell the appliance dealer your situation and your concerns and have them design a combination of appliances (cooktop/hood) that WILL work. It's important that the kitchen WORKS for your needs. It's more than the aesthetic. Talk to your designer. I'm sure that he/she will be able to design a visually pleasing answer to your need for a good fan.
March 10, 2012 at 1:35PM   
jgiga
Thanks! It is reassuring to know that the island cooktop/vent should work ok. I agree that it needs to WORK, not just look good! Thanks so much!
March 10, 2012 at 2:52PM   
You're very welcome. Happy Cooking!
March 10, 2012 at 3:51PM   
Got the shabby, forgot the chic
Can anybody please help me redecorate and re arrange...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Kitchen Island help
The kitchen has dark brown cupboards, granite counters...
LIVING ROOM READY FOR COUCH COLOR
I HAVE MED BROWN CARPET/GREEN UMBER SHADES/THE PAINTING...
An African Mediterraneaan Look
The project is to integrate an African and Mediterranean...