Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamlinme

Pickled pink kitchen cabinets

Melissa Baker
9 years ago
Would changing the wall color trick future buyers or will I have to paint the cabinets ? I will have to hire it done so it could get costly.

Comments (13)

• loves2read
    9 years ago
    You took the photo at night--the trim looks much darker or even different color--
    I don't see the cabinets look pink
    but probably more function of bad photo

paint them
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    It will downplay the effect, but don't count on it fooling anyone. I think you should prepare to price accordingly, or recolour the cupboards. I hear good things about Rustoleum kits.
  • Melissa Baker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! Agreed on bad photo. I don't think you can use rust oleum kits on pickled surfaces unless it's changed. I was thinking it required stripping, priming, painting etc. I'm just not sure it would increase our resale value. I'm thinking of trying a light brown on the wall to down play the pink. Crazy? The previous owners out the crown molding on top which is a different color than the cabinet. I can't decide if this helps.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    On my monitor, it seems to stand apart from the other finishes,making a paint selection challenging. I looked for a few shades in the beige-tan range; you'll notice as the pink recedes, the crown becomes more noteicable. The silver lining may be that it ( the crown) is easier to recolour:
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    I would have the cabinets and the crown mouldings repainted the same colour. There's no trick for pickled-pink cabinets I'm afraid:( But - as you are concerned with future buyers, I would list the house as is - there might be someone who likes them or is prepared to redo the kitchen themselves. Besides the paint colour and cabinet, the backsplash is not finished properly on the sides and the black outlet covers are distracting. Good luck from Montreal!
    Melissa Baker thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I suggest painting the crown molding the same color as the walls if you don't paint the cabinets. You may get other suggestions if you post more photos taken in daylight with all the room lights on. Replacing the outlet covers would be a great idea, i agree. You can buy some much closer to the tile colors. The wall color looks very good already.
    Melissa Baker thanked apple_pie_order
  • Melissa Baker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all the advice. I researched an estimate for painting the cabinets and came up with $4000. If i painted the cabinets what color would work best? I will not be able to change the back splash or the counter tops. I was thinking a cream color to keep it lighter but all of our trim is white. The room is very open and bright. I will try to get pictures during the day.
  • Melissa Baker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are daytime photos.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the new daylight photos. This is an attractive kitchen with a good floor plan and nice details. $4000 to paint the cabinets is a significant amount of money. I agree that an off white would be a good color, but it would have to coordinate with your white trim, the tile, the granite, and the wood flooring, all of which show yellow gold undertones on my monitor while the wall paint is a pink apricot tan. In practice, yellowy off white would probably clash with the wall paint and not contrast enough with the white trim. Assuming the wall paint goes through more than just a few rooms, it is really not worth it to redo all the wall paint just because the cabinets are a pink wood!

Having seen the new photos, I see two good options.

Plan A -You could paint the crown molding the same color as the walls.

Plan B- An alternative would be to take a door into the paint shop and have them match the pinky wood color as best they can with their computerized matching service, use that to get some semi-gloss enamel in the pink (it may take a couple tries at the paint store, they will dab it on some paint sticks for you to approve at ours), and paint the crown molding. Start with a few inches of scrap wood, hold it up to the cabinets, and see if it looks pretty good. If it looks make-do, stop and go to Plan A, using the wall paint color.
    Melissa Baker thanked apple_pie_order
  • Melissa Baker thanked apple_pie_order
  • Melissa Baker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you think I have to change the cabinet hardware?
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    No, you don't have to change the hardware, but something more in fashion than the current door pulls might be worth looking at. Keep the cup pulls for sure. But I would bring home some samples of door pulls that are the same finish as the cup pulls. Just try them. I can't tell what finish they are. What's the hole spacing? Try http://www.pullsdirect.com for fast sorting of what is available. For $2 per pull, there are a lot of choices.