Entrance way
chrisdp
I moved in a little over a year ago & live the house except the entrance. It looks like a duplex. The doors on the right are double functioning doors. The ones on the left are not. It is just the design. What can I do to disguise this? Or make it look less like a duplex? I tried to put chairs in front but it still doesn't help. I'd like an inviting front entrance with out the duplex look. I thought maybe if I paint the fake doors on left to blend? I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks'
chrisdp
Here is another pict.
May 17, 2014 at 12:18PM   
ppf.
It does look like a duplex :(

The doors don't look like "front doors" -- more like what you might find opening onto a patio in the back.

Consider replacing them with a single door and 2 windows.
May 17, 2014 at 12:50PM        Thanked by chrisdp
chrisdp
I was thinking about replacing later but can't right now. Do you think there is anything I can do in the meantime?
May 17, 2014 at 12:55PM   
Angel18432
If you have $$ to spend, as suggested above change to a more common type of front door and windows for the other side. In the meantime you could have a planter built for in front of the "window' with trellis behind and plant something that would grow up the trellis. If you did something like this I would also remove the lite from the window side and get a larger lamp for the door side.
May 17, 2014 at 1:00PM        Thanked by chrisdp
bgfuqua
door bell-buy a bigger decorative plate for it. plaque between porch lights-move it under light by real door. chairs-need one with higher back right in front of fake door, and give the grouping a little coffee table in the middle. put a large door mat in front of the real door. do not put a bulb in the porch light near fake door. if it still bothers you, paint the fake doors the cream/tan color, frame and all -- let this be a last resort.
May 17, 2014 at 1:15PM     
Paint it to match the wall.
May 17, 2014 at 1:38PM        Thanked by chrisdp
Denita
Agree with ppf - change the doors to one true entry door with sidelights and the other to windows. I understand about budget though :) How about putting a nice bench with a back and cushions in front of the non-functioning doors? This is similar to bgfuqua's suggestion, but make the seating block the non-functioning fake doors: a banquette type effect shown below. No one will know they are doors, they will look like windows until you can change them.

May 17, 2014 at 1:40PM        Thanked by chrisdp
akingbades
I think having a big porch built in front of the house will resolve the problem and you can still have your chairs inside the porch
May 17, 2014 at 3:08PM        Thanked by chrisdp
mick50
Groveraxle, you are a freakin' decorating genius and I wish you would give me paint suggestions for my cape cod. Please?
May 17, 2014 at 6:17PM        Thanked by chrisdp
mick50
Back to chrisdp...after painting the fake doors and removing the extra light, maybe hang two smaller natural wreaths, like boxwood or curly willow, on the two real doors. Fill up the right side with some large pots, maybe one with a tall-ish Cyprus or topiary. Add bigger chairs.
ej610
Which doors are the working doors? You say they are on the right, but the picture has chairs in front of those.
May 17, 2014 at 6:22PM        Thanked by chrisdp
chrisdp
Ej610 the ones on the left actually are functioning doors! I promise I do know my right from left! Lol! Can't believe I did that.
May 17, 2014 at 7:17PM     
rainymorning
After you paint the fake door the same color as the house you could put a bench under it.
May 18, 2014 at 3:53AM        Thanked by chrisdp
chrisdp
Yes I think I'll paint as last resort & try a bench in front if it first. Remove the one light on that side & maybe get a different (possibly a little larger) sign for my address. Add a few wreaths to the actual doors & some flower pots. Hopefully that will work for now. In the future I will replace w windows. Now to figure out what windows would look best so I'm prepared. Lol
May 18, 2014 at 7:05AM   
r | one studio architecture
Chrisdp, I do NOT agree with groveraxle. Painting would be a horrible idea. There is an obvious and intentional symmetry to the entry. It looks as though the original design was actually a duplex. This happens a lot with large neighborhoods - they reuse plan and elevation schemes over and over again without thinking a whole lot about what they're doing.
What you need, as PPF stated earlier, is an actual front door. I don't even see a door handle in the photo, so even I can't tell which should or shouldn't be a front door and I'm a trained professional. I would recommend a new door with a sidelite that fits in the existing opening that is the same color and finish as the existing. With that I would add a trellis or pergola over the entire porch and actually fence with iron or lattice the seating area. This will create a physical barrier that shows any visitors "this is a sitting area not an entry".
It's an unfortunate design for an entry. There's very little cosmetic to be done.
May 19, 2014 at 5:49PM     
Low pile rug for entrance way
I am having no luck finding an area rug for inside...
Front Entrance feels half way done.
Well, this is a case where after all this work, I still...
small interior entrance way closet
The entry coat closet is barely the depth of a hanger...when...
Entrance way chandelier - any ideas for an updated look?
Looking for chandelier to attract a young buyer. This...
Need recs on a good paint color
Redecorating my daughter's room. The bedding is new...
Tall cabinet or not?
I posted about our master bath but since the cabinet...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Living Room Help, Please!
This living room is the first thing you see when you...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...