Most Durable Surfaces for Kitchen Counters
catwesterbeck
May 17, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Can you please explain the durability differences with marble vs. granite, vs. quartz. I'm not sure which one resists stains and scratches the best. I would appreciate any information you canprovide.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Patricia Colwell
I think when all is said and done it is the surface you like the most, I actually like marble because I think granite has been done to death and quartz is manmade so I guess I vote marble as for care the quarttz is the easiest but it also has a more uniform phony look.
May 17, 2014 at 4:00pm   
Ann
I think natural quartzite (not man made quartz) is my favorite for durability but it's pricey. Marble does NOT resist scratches and stains. Between granite and quartz, I'd choose man made quartz because possibly granite has been a bit overdone and quartz might be a bit more current. Natural quartzite pictured below.
[houzz=
].
May 17, 2014 at 6:46pm   
beverlybrunson
I think it all boils down to the look you want. Granite and marble are beautiful and have lots of unpredictable and interesting elements. I think people like them because they are natural and have depth. However, if you want a modern look and consistency, quartz is a wonderful choice. It's a matter of taste and we all know we could that forever. I've decided that i can't convince you to like the color red over blue any more than I can convince you of solid counter top surface. Go with what you love. They all have pluses and minuses.
June 9, 2014 at 9:28pm     
nansdrew
Of the three, quartz resists stains and scratches better. I got samples of them and subjected them to a bunch of tests (dropping silverware, scratching with cast iron, leaving red wine and soy sauce on overnight, etc.). The testing was actually pretty fun, and something that might help you decide if you attempt your own worst case scenarios.
June 9, 2014 at 10:01pm   
mfwolfe
Your guide to 15 Popular Kitchen Countertops. This is a houzz ideabook with lots of links and comments.
June 10, 2014 at 4:43am   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Don't forget the high-end laminates can be long wearing.
June 10, 2014 at 11:44am