Grey peaks just aren't working, are they?
Cara a
I was so positive about the exterior house colors, then I saw it and I am unsure. I really like the Navy exterior with the Yellow door (Sherwin Williams Calvary and Bees Wax), but the blue-grey peaks are too busy, right? At the bottom will be Dark slate stacked stone. What color should I paint the peaks if I do change them? Thanks all!
kmkane
Could you provide some closer up photos please? Hard to tell now. (but it doesn't look so bad, don't despair!) And tell us what you don't want to give up - the yellow? They gray peaks?
    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:17PM
Mike
I would be more concerned about the yard. Have the neighbors complained?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:19PM
mick50
I like the color scheme... a lot! Especially if your gray stacked stone is lighter than the navy, overall. Don't change it til you've lived with it awhile. It may just be the initial shock of it looking different than you imagined. Add some light blue pots to the porch or garage area.. With bright yellow flowers!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:26PM
Cara a
Lol rcdavis! It is a new construction! I will be asking for help come august when it is time for landscaping!

And I wish I had closer up pics, this is the only one I have as we are building 4 hours away for our move this summer. We go down next weekend to pick out tile and drawer pulls and such. I will take more pics then for sure! It's Killing me not to see its progress!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:32PM
ROGUE architecture, LLC
Cara, the gables look great. I'm a little concerned about the dark blue and how it will look against whatever is going to be your water table. If it's too light it will make your house look like it's floating. The base should either contrast or be darker than the main wall color above. But without seeing the lower finish, I can't really make a firm determination.
Also, you may want to think about painting the dark blue of the garage door the same as the gable color. This will soften the garage door a little and tie those gables in with the rest of the house.
And I love the front door. It's an awesome pop of color that screams "entry". It's wonderful.
Cheers.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:48PM
Darla Scheuerman
Actually, your garage door needs to be painted solid, once that is done the gables and front door will be fine, it is the garage door that is the problem.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:19PM
mick50
I'm not a designer, but I like the garage door as is. It's interesting and not just your standard garage door. It looks great!! Seriously, I like your whole color scheme.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:24PM
ROGUE architecture, LLC
The garage door does not need to be solid. Contrasting colors of the panels are what make it stand out as a door and not just a big white hole in the face of your house.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:33PM
toby1994
I think the gables would flow better if they were also Navy, more uniform. Then the garage door and stone work would really stand out nice.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:39PM
Cara a
Thank you R one! I like garage too! I appreciate your comments on the water table. Since it is in a restricted water area, code requires 1-2 feet or so of rock perimeter around the house. I will defiantly think of you as I choose the stone. I am thinking a dark grey river rock to ground it and it should go well with the slate grey rock siding that will be on the unfinished part. I don't want the house to float away, as I am in kansas! Am I following you right?
    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:40PM
rmoyes80
I also like the idea of your color scheme and the fun playfulness of the garage door but the garage door is almost to busy, or at least that is where your eye is drawn then to the gables. Try changing the garage door to look like the real cedar door. I have seen this done on this style house and its breath taking. I attached a picture of the doors. On the gable area try going for a different texture of siding such as the shakes or even try a different earth tone color siding. Not sure if this helps or not. Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:49PM
kaytie
Let them finish it first before you second guess yourself. I put four coats of copper paint of my dining room ceiling with my husband and my father in law just shaking their heads. Then I added eggplant on top of that (in X's), ragged it off, and when the chandelier is on, it looks like the ceiling is on fire. It is the coolest effect ever!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:03PM
kaytie
paint is an easy fix. look at magazines. take pics of everything you like. See what ideas repeat, that appeal to you consistently. IF you change anything, I think a yellow undertone in the white painted parts would improve the flow of your eye across the home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:09PM
HI -- I think the gables need to be the same as the main color . I also like the garage door the way it is. When you get to doing your landscaping ,- plant a big tree first a little left of that white patch. I would also add to the front walk having it go from the front steps and curving off to the front walk ,-- so people won't need to use the driveway to get to the front door. Your new house looks lovely .
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:16PM
Lisa Carlisle
I really love your garage door statement; sharp, forward, and strongly frontal. It seems to be the one piece to design around; a common beginning. Should the two triangles drop from contrast to a step back with mid-deep charcoal, there may be balance.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:27PM
nwduck
Too soon to freak out. Once you get the stone on and landscape in, it will be fine. If me, I'd totally try to work in Mexican beach pebbles somewhere in the front landscape (they're often the same color as your gables) and Black Eyed Susans....because yellow door! Love it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 11:24PM
kmkane
I think once you get the stone on the bottom it will look fine. I'm not a fan of garage houses, so i would have downplayed the garage instead of highlighting it. But hey, it's just paint. Move in and look at it for a while.

Congrats on the new house. Oh, and i know the pain of building 4 hours away!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 1:26AM
joy5390
Please don't do anything yet. What you have going on right now is interesting, not another boring house at the end of the cul de sac! Finish your house, put the stone up, plant your green stuff, stick your flowers in and live with it! So many times people rush to have the perfect whatever, not realizing what they had was very good. If you change the color of your gables then likely something else will seem not right to you, then you will want to change that too. It is a domino effect. Very, very pretty house waiting to become a home. Give it a chance, finish it, live with it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 1:38AM
Grey paint needed to coordinate with cream colored trim!!
Please help. There are a bajillion colors of grey out...
britneylindsey
Grey to date ???
Thinking of going for greys in my kitchen. But scared...
Michelle Roe
Need help with picking a house color that works with our stone.
Need advice for a house color that works with our stone....
jamesrodman1
New kitchen, but just not working.
Hi all. Here is my dilemma. We built this house...
fragle0
Wall lamps for vanity table?
Now that I have my bedside lamps I place, I'm considering...
Sheriff821
Bathroom wall sconce placement
When placing wall sconces on either side of a bathroom...
k8wi
need help for my house
I would like to have some advice how to decorate my...
ijahassan
Butcher block set into granite?
Putting 6'wide x 4' island in our remodel. It will...
kiki D
Help in Kitchen for flooring
need to match the tile anyone know where to get it?...
mcbs1961