Painting my oak kitchen white
Kriste Kalk_RossMay 18, 2014
I'm planning on painting my cabinets with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, either white or old white, or a mixture of the two. Black appliances will be replaced with stainless steel (needless to say, that frig has already been replaced!). Any other ideas to help modernize with a tight budget in mind? Countertop ideas? Backsplash? My adjoining family room will be painted a light greige and my palette is dark brown and gray/blues. Windows and trim have been painted white. Furniture in photos is not mine! My style is neutral and classic. Would like to somewhat keep the traditional feel of the home, maybe with some farmhouse touches.
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You are definitely on the right track - this kitchen and family room will look completely different and updated! Great choices so far. Budget allowing: replace the kitchen ceiling box light with recessed lighting and pendants over the island, replace the counters and backsplash, new hardware, replace carpeting in FR with same hardwood flooring as kitchen and you might even want to consider painting the brick fireplace the same white as the cabinets for a fresh look. Good luck from Montreal!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 8:06AM
sleena
Old white or white may be a bit cold looking . Look at original white before deciding . It has a bit more warmth in it if you want a more farmhouse look
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 8:08AM
Kriste Kalk_Ross
Carpet will be replaced with wood in a few years when our youngest has learned to crawl and walk, etc! Lighting will definitely be replaced, and that is exactly what I was thinking. Glad my choices are being echoed!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 8:12AM
pitbulls
I like your ideas as well. I would not paint your brick fireplace. Maybe consider painting your island a different color other than white for some contrast.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 9:10AM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Change the ceiling fixture. It dates the entire space. If you can manage it, install ceiling cans around the room, and turn the central fixture into a pendant (or 2) over the island. A talented electrician will be able to manage the install of the cans--my bro-in-law did it throughout his LR without destroying the ceiling--and the effect is remarkable.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 10:00AM
mimosa62
I painted my Kitchen cabinets white (used Sherwin Williams Pro Classic paint) then came back a chocolate glaze and topped it with 2 coats of polyurethane that is guaranteed not to "yellow". The crowing jewel was a wide crown molding that we added on the tops to add height to the cabs and everyone thought I got either new cabinets or had them professionally done. Take your time and get a system going otherwise it will seem overwhelming, but you will look back with pride and joy as you enjoy your beautiful cabs. Also, keep spare pain in a sealed jar for touch-ups. My cabs easily wipe clean and are durable! Enjoy!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:17AM
sage0807
I agree with Rebecca - in addition to painting your cabinets, replace the kitchen light with recessed lighting, add pendants over the island (looks like 2 would work depending on size), replace the counters and backsplash, and add new hardware.

The layout of your kitchen is very similiar to ours. We are in the process of having our oak cabinets refinished. Upper and lower perimeter cabinets are getting painted white (went with BenMoore Winter Snow) and the island has been stained black. We will have new simple brushed nickel hardware. We recently added pendant lights over our island, are slowly changing our appliances to SS, have tropical brown granite and special walnut stained wood floors.

Here are a couple of our in-process pictures in case this helps you at all. We have a valance that will go back on at the kitchen window, I just ordered new barstools and the paint on the walls is BenMoore Revere Pewter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 10:22AM
onebdhog
I agree with painting the island a different color AFTER you over lay it with bead board if you're going for a farm look.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kriste Kalk_Ross    May 18, 2014 at 2:06PM
Kriste Kalk_Ross
@sage how old is your home? Just wondering because your new kitchen makes it look pretty new!
    Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 6:40PM
California House
I painted my oak cabinets white and it turned out great. Started out with Annie Sloan but it looked too streaky and too much time. I started with a layer of old white and then with pure white. In the end I had the cabinets sprayed with Sherman Williams paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:00PM
Circle Goods Reclaimed
Paint is not a finish that will ever hold up as well in a kitchen as a lacquered finish. You should talk to a local refinisher this is not a huge job and should be reasonable! Paint chips and will yellow not half the finish a real lacquered product provides. Good luck!
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:52PM
Can I successfully paint contractor grade oak kitchen cupboards white?
I have spoken to a professionally painter about having...
Linda
Making an oak kitchen white- Our updated kitchen
We put in quartzite/granite counters that gave us the...
rahill12
Want to paint oak kitchen cabinets white.
I have oak cabinets that I dislike. I cannot afford...
Sandi Woods
Wall paint to go with oak floors & oak cabinets (oak overload)?
Just discovered hardwood oak floors under our linoleum...
hkbe
Too much oak in my kitchen, should I stain and/or paint?
We just bought this house and hoping to be here a long...
haylstorm14
Master Bath Flooring dilemma
I am having trouble deciding on a floor tile for my...
ccort
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Need help choosing an area rug for my living room
I am starting from scratch decorating a new home and...
Nicole Roccaforte