Yay or nay: Photos on canvas?
Luke Buckle
May 19, 2014 in Polls
Photos printed on canvas have been around for a few years now - they are a simple way to enlarge and mount photos you love. But some people I've talked to believe not every photo looks better bigger. Where do you stand on them? Please leave your reasons below!
Yay
Nay
A bit graphic for my taste.
May 19, 2014 at 6:36pm        Thanked by Luke Buckle
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Ha, my dog is always trying to beg for something at the dinner table.........A large photo of his face at the dinner table would not be pleasant.........

However, I do like the idea that I can get enlarged good quality photos done for my projects......
May 19, 2014 at 7:15pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
I think it may be a good weight management program! I love using large photos on canvas, sometimes I prefer sepia tone.
May 19, 2014 at 7:20pm     
condomary
It doesn't have to be a picture. And it doesn't have to be big. When I had my townhome, I created a poster on Zazzle.ca then had it printed on canvas. I have since moved but still like my creation and have it in my office. .
May 19, 2014 at 8:06pm     
Red Berm
I agree with Sustainable Dwelling. A few filters and Sepia or Black and White help it too look more calming.
May 19, 2014 at 8:28pm     
bbkieffer
I love photos on canvas! I have done several, and photo quality is definitely the key. I have some of nature photography on canvas and I get compliments every time someone sees it.
May 20, 2014 at 5:45am      Thanked by Luke Buckle
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
I do like the concept of having photos enlarged. I think can be quite a statement

Thanks,

J Design Group, Contemporary Miami Interior Designers - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 20, 2014 at 6:22am   
jdingles
I just ordered my first canvas. After looking for the perfect art with no success, i decided my favorite was my very own landscape photo.
May 20, 2014 at 7:35am     
SoCal Contractor
It really depends on the subject matter and the quality of the image (resolution etc).

I like the pictures on canvas because it eliminates the frame and keeps you focused on the picture.
May 20, 2014 at 7:39am     
China Furniture and Arts
Agree with SoCal, the subject matter is key. Certain photos may not be appropriate for the setting in which they are displayed. If it adds something to the overall atmosphere or is meant to convey a message then it is probably appropriate.
May 20, 2014 at 11:04am     
John MacLean Photography
Canvas doesn't always imply larger, however because you don't have to mat and frame it, you can make the image larger. The costs for comparable sizes are generally more for the canvas vs. the print, but the stretching is generally less than framing. I used to be opposed to canvas, because the image quality isn't as good. However I'm coming around to the idea. I print both on my 44" wide Epson 9900 large format printer. I sell my own images as wall decor and print for other photographers. http://johnmaclean.com
May 22, 2014 at 5:51pm     
Jason Chuck
I was "canvas"ing for ideas on this subject as well. I think it depends on the wall and the feel for the room. I put a couple of both portraits and landscape photos of mine onto canvas prints but I realised the space mattered more for these then my photo frames
May 22, 2014 at 11:42pm     
nitronicky
It is like any personal large striking art item. If someone dosn't like it, send them home. If it was of a can of cambell soup and had a famous signiture, nobody would question it. Nitro
May 23, 2014 at 12:32am   
LB Interiors
Why not! I would do what you prefer.
May 23, 2014 at 1:01am   
amayart
Why not investing in original local artist?
May 23, 2014 at 1:31am     
Jenny Drew
I can't say no to that dog...
May 26, 2014 at 9:28pm     
bichonluver3
I am big into dog rescue. I say the bigger, the better of this one!
May 27, 2014 at 1:04pm     
maverickcowgirl
The quality of the canvas makes a big difference, I got some off an online store once and while they were high resolution pictures and only 12inch square pictures they looked grainy, and have never done it again. I do agree some pictures do not look good made bigger either, what can look nice in a small print can bring out flaws in people's faces, unsightly objects in the background of a landscape, or become down right scary etc. when blown up. The dog is cute.
May 27, 2014 at 5:35pm     
kaseyhouse
Photos should stay photos, canvas is for painters and their unique, painterly interpretations of something or someone, abstracted or not. Photos on canvas just don’t have the tactile quality to support them as art.
May 28, 2014 at 3:43am     
Covert-Wilkins Studio
I do a number of these for clients as well as myself. I have a graphics background, which is helpful. Understanding printing, pixels, and Photoshop can produce some awesome pieces of art. Mine are never just a plain photo, but an altered and with text added sometimes.
May 28, 2014 at 4:37am     
jhayesmlumber
While I personally would not want this gigantic dog head staring at me while eating, I think blown up nature pictures like flowers and landscapes look great as long as they are of a significant Megapixel so you don't get a blurry image.
May 28, 2014 at 4:50am     
janofbagend
Big pictures are great….I love the dog! Canvas suggests that a picture is actually a painting. It makes no sense to print a photo on canvas. There are lots of other surfaces that don't make the picture look fake.
May 28, 2014 at 8:36am   
thdigby22
Fun, exciting and not very expensive
May 28, 2014 at 8:38am   
Aman Than Interiors
I use large canvases many time in my projects. I do think that in this case a smaller b&w picture of your loving pet would be more appropriate. It also give you an opportunity to showcase your many other beloved things, places and people. You can mix b&w with some coloured shots framed in simple sleek silver frames.
May 28, 2014 at 1:02pm   
jamiemichaels
Love large format photography. Canvas can look richer and can a bring a depth that you can't get from a paper. It's different on canvas. That said, many established photographers like Peter Lik and Jeff Mitchum with large galleries in Vegas use specialized expensive paper and some have their work available on canvas in LARGE SIZES. How these images are mounted makes a difference, When it's on canvas you can elimate the glass which makes all the difference, no reflection, warmer and actually can help with acoustics in a space. A seven foot long landscape done properly can make quite a statement. The resolution and content , of course is paramount.
May 29, 2014 at 9:54am     
Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
You can never go wrong with photography. However, photos look better in frames. A canvas will make the photos look grainy. Drawings and paintings look better on canvas.
May 29, 2014 at 12:21pm   
Ginny Lizotte
What is a good source for this? Also, is it okay to use in a bathroom that might get a bit moist from shower?
May 29, 2014 at 1:42pm   
John MacLean Photography
Ginny, I do custom printing, but I'm not the least expensive lab if that's what you're looking for. I do quality over quantity! And I don't stretch them, but ship rolled in heavy duty tubes. That keeps the shipping costs down, and the damage factor down! Here's the info: http://www.johnmaclean.com/data/web/9900_inkjet_pricing_CANVAS.pdf https://www.facebook.com/JohnMacLeanPhotoPrinting

Please let me know if I can be of service! ;)
May 29, 2014 at 11:43pm   
John MacLean Photography
Jamie, My long time friend John Weldon does the printing for Jeff Mitchum. The prints you're referring to are Fuji Flex Super Gloss. I know Jeff too. Here's the info: http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/fujiflex.php
May 29, 2014 at 11:45pm   
PeeM
being an artist, canvas is purely meant for artistic expression which last for years, not for megapixel size graphic prints which keeps changing with passing trends.
May 30, 2014 at 12:33am   
Colourful photo frames - yay or nay?
Black, white or silver are your standard photo frame...
Yay or nay?
What do you think of the tufting
Using carrera tile in shower, yay or nay?
Ordered and ready to install in 5.5 sq. ft. shower....
Window treatments? Yay or nay?
Would you choose to leave these windows as is or hang...
Electric Fireplaces-yay or nay?
Our living room is approx 10"x16". One end of the...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Renovating multifamily house
We are buying a multifamily house that needs a lot...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Design can change as you need .
We have own designer , can Design a unique design for...