Help with curb appeal
cocoubuntu
Love my new house, at a loss how to landscape and add more interest to the front of my house. I need HELP please!
scoutstella
Love the pavers they already have in place...I'd continue that on the other side of the house. Can you share which planting zone you're in? That would help narrow down some landscaping options.
May 20, 2014 at 8:11AM   
cocoubuntu
Thank you so much for your comment. The pictures are all from the front of the house. it is a corner home and right now we are focusing on landscaping those front areas. We also thought of installing shutters to give it some more character. The pavers are in not so great shape and we need to decide what to do with that. Also the front step is awkwardly high so we definitely have to fix that by maybe grading the walk.
Hope this additional info will be helpful.
June 2, 2014 at 4:19PM   
Cocou - search houzz landscapes and make an ideabook first. . . this is not a good shutter home because to look right, shutters need to be wide enough to cover the window when closed and that size would crowd the rest of your wall - not work at all on the twin windows.

Think about layers and curvilinear planting bed edges - largest evergreens or flowering shrubs against the house, then flowering groundcover in the foreground. Consider planting a tree in your front yard that will grow to provide shade and shelter - far from the walks or the drive, and you could make a grouping of boulders with it and plant both behind (shrubs) and in front (flowers) of them.
June 2, 2014 at 4:25PM   
An eggplant front door would be terrific - dark plum - something like bm purple lotus http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/purplelotus
June 3, 2014 at 1:03PM   
14thstreet
I would start by removing the numbers from your post - you could do more with them. A house number plaque to the side of your door would be a nice detail. There are endless options for style. I personally bought one made from cast aluminum for the front of my house for the same reason. I had mine done in a black background with silver numbers and border. I can't recall which company I used, but mine is similar to the one in this link and it would look great on your house - http://www.classyplaques.com/cambridge-address-plaque-estate-size/ Before you order, hang up paper/cardboard cut to the same dimensions to make sure you order the right size-they usually have a few options to choose from. Some other ideas:

[houzz=Laurel Front Facade]
[houzz=1968 ranch remodel]
[houzz=Juanita]

Also, I would remove all the small accessories on your front porch and simply put a chair or rocking chair on the wider side of your front porch and a ceramic garden stool or potted plant next to it so that the chair doesn't look lonely, something with some visual weight, in a colorful glazed ceramic pot perhaps. This would be a good area for a pop of color. If you go with a wood or black colored chair, I would choose a blue, blue-green, navy or maroon pot or stool, and vice-versa. I would just make sure there's some contrast. I really like the idea of a wood stained chair to bring warmth to the area.
June 3, 2014 at 1:21PM   
cocoubuntu
Thank you all so much for your input. We will take all of your comments into consideration and keep you up to date on any progress.
June 7, 2014 at 10:35PM   
katearoni
Trees. A bunch of them.
June 7, 2014 at 11:18PM   
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our...
I need some help with curb appeal! PLEASE HELP!
The house is a yellow, with black shutters and grey...
Help Needed: Please Help with Curb Appeal/Exterior
Hello! This is the home of my girlfriend's parents'....
NEED CURB APPEAL PAINT HELP...JUST HELP
This is our home. The first pic is an old pic – we...
Outdoor plants for planters
We live in Dallas, Texas and are currently opening...
Tiling a ceiling shower
Im renovating a basement bathroom which the shower...
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
What do you think?
What do you think of the fireplace surround? http://www.houzz.com/photos/16502991/Southern-Plantation-Living-Room-traditional-living-room-houston...