Trash bin next to the bed. Yes or no?
Jeannie Nguyen
May 20, 2014 in Polls
Growing up my parents always put a trash bin next to their bed and mine. I always saw it as a major convenience while others thought it was a little strange.

What's your take? Vote below and tell us where you place the waste basket in your bedroom.

YES - It's really convenient.
NO - That's unsanitary!
Leanne James
I voted no, although not because of sanitary reasons. I just can't picture it looking nice right next to the bed. Growing up I had one next to my desk.
12 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 9:27AM
Genevieve
Only if someone writes in bed
0 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 9:36AM
Jessica
I always have a small one under one of the bedside tables. It's handy since I often come in with the mail from my mailbox and sit on the bed to sort it into junk, read, or reply piles. I can chuck the junk and empty envelopes and those plastic bags my magazines come in, stick the bills on the desk to be paid, and then kick back and read the letters from Mom or the newest magazines.
2 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 9:58AM
Becky Harris
Only if I have a cold. I don't think of it as unsanitary, but maybe according to the principles of feng shui, you're throwing your love life in the garbage if you place it there?
8 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 10:21AM
Belle Chaise
Good idea. Just never thought about it.
0 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 10:41AM
Hmmm. I don't even have a trash can in my bedroom. Who makes trash in bed?
3 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 11:01AM
armipeg
There's nothing insanitary about having it next to your bed if you don't throw food in it.
5 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 12:48PM
superhawk66
I think it depends on the person. My son frequently takes water bottles to drink upstairs and I'm a happy mom when the empties are discarded in the trash can in his room! I don't have one in my room, though.
0 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 2:30PM
mkhodges
I'm sure I'm showing my age, but I thought a small, unobtrusive trash can had a place in almost every room. In my experience there is always some little something that needs to go in it and I am more likely to toss it if the trash can is handy. But, no, not by the bed if it is highly visible unless, as someone said, you are ill or something. They are emptied every week or sooner if needed. Is this something that dates my decor? I could probably live without them....lol
4 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 3:02PM
Interior Clue
Like your question. There are many clever ways of transforming your interior decor’s objects into functional, practical piece. The answer to your question will be “yes," if we consider using this concept. It can be done with the trash bin, room dividers, storage solution, even with the wall hooks. For example, we can use urns and planters to match them to our bedroom design accordingly and at the same time use that decor as a trash bin.
Check out our selection of indoors and outdoors planters and urns that can be used as well as trash bins.
http://interiorclue.com/outdoor-garden/planter-sets-urns.html
3 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 3:04PM
cazzz45
I voted no only because to see a rubbish bin beside the bed does not appeal to my eyes, although I do have a antique copper jardiniere near the chest of drawers as well as larger bin in the en-suite
0 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 10:46PM
stryker
No. I don't generate trash when I'm in bed. And where does it go? I like a bedside table/nightstand right next to the head of the bed for a lamp, water, occasional flowers. I don't see room for a trash can.
3 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 5:43AM
stlouisgaltoo
Where else to put kleenex in the middle of the night? Esp when sick.
9 Likes   May 26, 2014 at 4:20AM
thebighouse169
Gotta have a basket near the bed for used tissues, tags from new clothes, receipts culled from my handbag, lint or pills from sweaters, tear outs that drive me crazy in magazines, an occasional napkin from a bedtime snack, dead light bulbs and the wrappings from the new bulbs. Basket is attractive and emptied frequently. Where does everybody else put this stuff?
13 Likes   May 26, 2014 at 8:15PM
sally78
No.
1 Like   May 26, 2014 at 9:27PM
stryker
bighouse, I throw those things into the bathroom or kitchen trash. I don't like to have a million trash cans to empty.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 1:19PM
Marsha Ieronimo
Can't imagine not having a small waste bin by the bed..what do you do with tissues in the middle of the night? Seems yucky to leave them on the nightstand...and you can empty the bin daily...
7 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 5:53PM
daisymae1234
Why?
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 5:57PM
dworthingtonccr
No.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:37PM
DLynne Garner
Yes, but not this open thing, one that is discreet and small. I don't understand people who don't use waste baskets near the bed or at least in the bedroom. They must be very young, never in the room except when sleeping, or not very neat. It's a must have near mine.
3 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:08PM
cabingirl13
must have for tissues....and the occasional piece of paper- empty water bottle etc.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:28PM
Laurie
I voted no. any trash I make in my bedroom I clean out the same day. just a personal preference
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 7:33PM
jberry437
when I have a bad cold only. then its gone.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:52PM
Christine Patterson
I voted yes because I am a a diabetic and with the various pin pricks, bloody tissues, small scraps of paper from syringes etc. I find it totally convenient. On the odd occasion that I use a tissue for a cold etc. I always make a habit of emptying it the same day. I am a big fan of waste bins in all bedrooms, living spaces and work areas. It makes sense to teach your family to take care of their own mess. A bin is certainly more hygienic than a pile of tissues strewn across the floor.
2 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:56PM
mom2lala
I use a shoe box that fits in a nightstand drawer does that count? It's easy to empty into the bathroom basket every day.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 8:03PM
quercus2
No. I have no trash can at all in the bedroom. Any trash generated in the bedroom can be easily transported to the under-sink trash bin in the adjacent bathroom. There are no open trash bins in my entire house. There are under-sink covered bins in the bathrooms and kitchen, a covered bin in the basement and a bin for recycled paper in the office. The idea of open trash bins inside a house is slightly nauseating.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 8:41PM
normaanne
I always have a trash bin (with a plastic bag) next to my end table which is next to my bed. If I have a cold, I want the convenience of having it nearby to throw out tissues. Then it's easy to just take out the plastic bag, tie it up and throw it out.
2 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 9:00PM
Nancy
me too, normaanne! I don't even have to have a cold. So handy through the night.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 9:53PM
Andrea Szabo
I don't have tissues in the bedroom. Or any garbage whatsoever. I go to the bathroom when I have a cold and that's where the garbage stays. Maybe when I get older and I don't want to walk I will have one close but it won't look like a garbage can. I can't imagine having a trash can where I sleep. My mother in law has one beside every chair and bed it is insane. And disgusting. There are 3 in the kitchen, under the sink, beside the fridge and under the table. What? I don't get it. Who wants to sort all that garbage when the buckets are full?
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 10:16PM
whirlwyn
Open or plastic Trash bin NO. Although, as the "rules" state I voted for the "interpretation" of a container - but a well thought decorative basket, vase of size that would take some of the aforementioned refuse - clothing tags, maybe a string, clean napkin that followed you to bedroom, small note to self no longer needed, can all wait until trash day for the efficient. Infectious, unclean, and foods need to go to the appropriate trash can. I added this pictured one to the family room as easy container for unwanted magazine flyers, small notes to self, clean napkin. Bedroom is zipped in plastic due to bathroom Reno. It has a walnut basket. Drippy nose tissue is different from sick or snotty nose. And never a plastic bag in the decorative basket. Decorative convenience doesn't include it. It's efficient not lazy. Trust me.
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 8:46AM
widow next to bookshelf? yes or no?
i am building out a family room with a fireplace in...
Four-Poster Bed. Yes or No?
What are your thoughts on the four-poster bed? Are...
POLL: Round beds - Yes or No?
How do you feel about round beds? Are you strictly...
Are books/magazines in bathroom a No-No or a Yes-Yes?
The final days of our recent bathroom re-model are...
Small small ...best way to fill it
This wall is a small width (5'2") and needs decorating. I...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Developing a floor plan within boundaries.
Hello there. We're looking to remodel our old 1092...
I want to put an office in this space
The width inside the nook is 79", the depth is 39",...
ugly concrete front steps—need budget ideas
I just got beautiful new windows installed on my front...