Brought an old small house and need advise
Dion Aardt
The sitting room is a little dark and needs a full new pain job can't decide what would work as don't want to make it anymore dark. Any tips?
Are you beams stained dark? If they are, you could always paint them a lighter colour.

However, before deciding on paint colour - what colour are the furnishings and furniture you wish to put in here. Then you can be sure the paint complements your furniture rather than vice versa (which is more expensive)
3 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 5:48AM
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Sand the floors to a natural finish and do a clear polyurethane. Consider adding recessed lighting in the ceiling or track lighting against the beams. Afterwards, paint the walls a light color such as white with a hint or grey or beige. Next paint the ceiling the same color as the walls.
5 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 6:21AM
Dion Aardt
Also got to re paint outside I hate the black but ok with the white walls any ideas on a c scheme here would be great too thank u
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 7:14AM
Wild Infusion
Have you thought about putting in a skylight window in the ceiling or putting in a larger window or french doors to let the light in? Keep your furniture and furnishing light..
As for the outside, I would paint the white a stone colour or light beige...not in the cream range...but more towards the light coffee colour, perhaps half strength still light but is not stark and therefore the black will look a little less obvious.
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 7:25AM
SoCal Contractor
I would here to do it but paint/stain the beams a lighter color, maybe a lighter brown to match floors. If you can, restain the floors a lighter brown or even a grey wash and keep walls and ceilings white.

While you are at it, paint the fireplace bricks white or a light grey as well.
2 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 7:39AM
Dion Aardt
Thanks guys for the great tips. If it's not a bother could u send a pic of the stone shade u think for outside as u can tell I am no good at this sort of thing and then I can take it to paint shop. I was going to just re paint the black window frames another less harsh shade or just white. Def looking forward to changing those dark beams! Frech doors would be a great idea too
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 8:18AM
Wild Infusion
Hi Dion, it has taken me a while to find what I was looking form but on the samples it is
sohji white I think it reads...this is just an example of the colour it is the second one in from your right...the lightest colour. I am speaking of and then I have a house colour that I like but I would paint it in half strength....ok...hope this helps...take care
2 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 11:12AM
Mint Design
I am not certain you feel comfortable in the style of your home. What drew you to the house? The dark beams are in keeping with the style of your home. Changing them and changing the exterior could seriously lower the resale value. I suggest using color and really good lighting to lighten your room. Even a darkly painted room need not look or feel dark with the right paint finish and good lighting. Consider bronze instead of black on the outside but other than that I suggest English windowboxes and an English garden with boxwoods to improve the curb appeal. Please do not alter the integrity of the style. If you decide you really do not like the style consider selling and buying what makes you feel comfortable. Hope this helps! :)
5 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 11:40AM
Dion Aardt
Thank u so much wildinfusion much appreciated
0 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 1:01PM
Dion Aardt
Thanks to u all for the great tips and good for thought what a great app this is !
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 1:02PM
Wild Infusion
My pleasure
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 6:10PM
Wild Infusion
keep and eye out for Wild Infusion interior design online....little bit down the track but will be there soon...take care Robyn
1 Like   May 22, 2014 at 2:00AM
Dion Aardt
Do u think this is what those of u in the lighter shade camp had in mind thanks!
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 5:11AM
juliept
I like the wood beams, I would consider stripping or sanding them back to the natural wood. Keep your furniture low and light and add fresh leaf and moss greens as accent colors, minimal accessories. Let the architecture be the focal point.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 5:30AM
juliept
If you paint the fireplace, don't cover the brick completely with opaque paint. Give it more of a rustic look.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 5:33AM
Warner Decor
Hi! A simple solution to bring more light into the area is to place a mirror somewhere in the home where it reflects the light from the window. Here are a few ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/cki-rectangle-wall-mirror/
http://deciture.com/cki-gianna-wall-mirror/
http://deciture.com/felona-wall-mirror/

Hope this helps you!
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:02AM
Wild Infusion
This looks like the paint has a pink tone to it in this pic ....has it...
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 6:03AM
Wild Infusion
I probably would have prepared the beams if you haven't as in sand them down...
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:04AM
Wild Infusion
I would not paint the fireplace either
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:06AM
juliept
I have a feeling that what looks like a pink tint to the white paint may actually be a reflection of color from the floor. The flooring appears to be parquet. I would change the floor to hardwood or a natural stone tile.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:17AM
Dion Aardt
Thanks guys. The paint is white but only on first coat I did sand them down but the wood under them is not of a quality that is worth showing off they are not real beams and are just boxed. Plan to not paint fireplace
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:34AM
juliept
So if they're not real beams what is underneath?
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 6:39AM
juliept
I keep noticing things! I like the leaded detail on the window. I would remove the wood beam-like valance thing and consider not having curtains unless you really need them.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 6:42AM
Dion Aardt
Mirror is a good plan thanks walls still need to be done as do curtains etc I don't want to do anything to expensive to the actual fixed fittings as this is zimbabwe so things are a little uncertain for the future but want to make the place a little more liveable !
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:49AM
juliept
In that case, can you fill in the cracks in the beams with spackle and paint over with matt finish paint instead of glossy? Also paint the beam over the window to match. Use simple solid color curtains that can be pushed completely to the sides of the windows. A large, simple rectangular area rug centered on the fireplace, and off white rug would lighten up the room. Table lamps on either side of your sofa, on wall opposite fireplace. A great piece of well lit art over the fireplace.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 6:57AM
Dion Aardt
Good plan! Will full cracks and then paint the final coat in matt finish so it's not so shiny thank u!
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:09AM
juliept
Some examples. Btw, I like simple grommet top curtains because they give a clean, rustic look and slide open and shut easily.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:17AM
juliept
Remove the sconce light fixtures too. They are badly positioned and not in keeping with the architecture of the room.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:19AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
There are two ways to go: 1) strip and refinish the beams and ceiling, take it down to a lighter, more natural color. 2) leave beams/ceiling as is and add only light colored furniture and fabrics to space. I like the room a lot and think you will too once you really spend some time with a professional who understands the space/locale. I wish we could do this room for you, I love it!
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:30AM
juliept
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:41AM
juliept
Simple well-lit arrangement or art over fireplace, or possibly a mirror.
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 7:52AM
juliept
It may seem counter intuitive but I think staining the parquet floor a dark brown would look great because it would provide contrast with the light walls and painted beams. I can't find a perfect photo example but here are a couple pics:
0 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 8:17AM
Lakeview Interior Design
What a great project! I am sad to see those beams painted...they are so great - I would strip those down and do a distressed barn wood stain. There are kits that you can buy to copy the look of driftwood or barn wood - there is a milky wash finish to it that would look cool in this home. It would lighten the wood and make them more interesting. I can't tell from the picture if the brick on fireplace is in good condition. If it is, consider wrapping with a nice mantel. The floors could be lightened, but I think a nice light color throw rug could do the trick. Make sure you hang those curtains from the top - it will make the ceiling appear taller. And don't you dare put a couch in front of that window if that is the only light coming through. Have fun and good luck! -Michele
lakeviewinteriordesign.com
2 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 8:21AM
Dion Aardt
Would u say lift the whole curtain rail higher up the wall? Sounds like a good idea !
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 9:56AM
libunium
I took my fake beams down and removed the popcorn finish. It made the room look 50% larger. My fireplace was already painted and it was repainted a darker grey than the walls. I love it.
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 10:50AM
juliept
How to hang curtains: http://www.hgexpo.com/blog/how-to-hang-curtains.html

Please post some pics of the changes you make. Hope you are having fun and liking the results!
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 8:45PM
Dion Aardt
Thanks Julie!
0 Likes   May 29, 2014 at 12:10AM
Dion Aardt
Getting there !
2 Likes   May 29, 2014 at 6:51AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
Look at how light and bright the room looks now! I'm delighted you listened to all of us who advised lightening the ceiling and beams.
1 Like   May 29, 2014 at 7:16AM
Lakeview Interior Design
Yay! coming along. And yes, when I said top - I meant raised to the top of the wall near ceiling... thanks Juile for the post...
1 Like   May 29, 2014 at 7:54AM
Need advise on what to do with my house. I love craftsman style. My budget is small .
The siding must stay the same . I'd like to add stone...
Sandi
small old house needs garage
Ours is a typical 1892 1.5 story farmhouse. The only...
Alice Hearst
1700's house brought back to the way it needed to be...
Loved working on this house.. Great space, history...
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
1980's house needs to be brought into this millennium - Help Please
Our 3,500 square foot house in a northern climate needs...
House Projects
mmcguin627
need help to change my living room
i need a new look,maybe paint the walls, new curtains...
alphons3k
Need advice in living room...
I always wanted to face the fireplace and open up my...
alesiarhea
Help! Need more seating
Hello! Need more seating in our livingroom .. Stuck...
connie00
Any Houzers made their own kitchen island?
Want to make my own laundry/craft table. Plan on making...
houseatthelake
Need Help choosing a glaze for cabinets and color of paint for walls!
Hi everyone! All my walls are white. I want to...
angbates