POLL: Sand or Snow?
May 21, 2014 in Polls
If you were to pick one or the other, would you choose a home in the snow or a home at the shore?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Sand
Snow
Other - Tell us below!
adivra
Sand get into everything.
May 21, 2014 at 8:04PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
bgfuqua
I hate cold, ice, snow.
May 21, 2014 at 10:27PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Emmeline Westin
Snow! I love skiing, snowball fights and building snowmen! And then as summer comes the snow will melt away, right? Success!
May 22, 2014 at 3:46AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ataverna
I would love a beach cottage!
May 22, 2014 at 4:31AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
elklaker
After this winter, if I never see another snowflake, I'd be fine. Beach house!
May 22, 2014 at 4:45AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
jbmummy
Rather clean away sand than melted ice... just think of warmth versus cold...
May 22, 2014 at 5:16AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
meandbloss
I would go mountains!
May 22, 2014 at 5:17AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Luciana
Snow!
My dad once told me (after watching Jungle book - Baloo's bare necessities): "if you live at the tropics, all you need to know is how to fish or climb a tree and you can live an easy enough life! If you live in the north, you need to think, plan and conquer (nature) in order to survive - it will be a struggle, but your life will be full and so much more rewarding!"
(clearly, this is an overly simplified concept, but as a child I was captivated by it).

So I guess I'm just not one for an easy, boring life...
May 22, 2014 at 5:56AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
tw123456
Good morning Emily ;0), definitely snow, lived in the sand for many years and love the snow.
May 22, 2014 at 6:09AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
edithsmom
We live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts about two miles from any beach. While I am not enamored with the cold icy winters here (not a winter sport participant), I wouldn't want to do without the wonderful seasonal changes.
May 23, 2014 at 2:08PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
rustyand
I will take one in the foothills on a lake.. my vote both.
May 24, 2014 at 11:54AM     
tw123456
rusty, very smart best of both ;0)!
May 24, 2014 at 2:21PM     
Rusty- no breaking the rules... pick ONE or the OTHER?
For me Sand trumps snow;)
May 24, 2014 at 2:31PM     
larkspurproject
Sand! We can always drive a couple of hours to the snow in the winter :)
May 24, 2014 at 2:43PM     
pariscafe
Snow! Coming from the tropics in Australia we would love a couple of years in the snow and changing seasons. We are winter travellers and always try to visit North America and Europe in cold weather so I guess that says something about us. My favourite article of clothing is a coat. I own 6 and only one is light enough for winter here. Old story....grass is always greener eh?
May 25, 2014 at 12:15AM     
karelina
Lakeshore. Enjoy the ducks, birds, fish, wildlife, sailing, canoeing - though I was always glad when tourist season ended and the big racing motor boats left for the season.
May 25, 2014 at 12:37AM     
shars55
Neither....I loathe the cold, and the beach is usually foggy and cool. I would prefer the foothills where it's warm, but gets little snow.
May 25, 2014 at 12:46AM     
markgreenwood
We live right on the beach in southern England, last winter we had snow! so best of both worlds?
May 25, 2014 at 1:33AM     
midmodfan
My initial thought was: is this a joke?
Hate snow, love the shore.
May 25, 2014 at 2:03AM     
dzerres
Fell 3 times this winter shoveling in Denver - building in Palm Springs - no beach but lots of sand and a pool - yeah! I can see the snow at the top of the Tram, thanks.
May 25, 2014 at 3:11AM     
x3_skier
Ski season in Steamboat Springs CO, beach season on Seabrook Island SC. Best of both.
May 25, 2014 at 3:18AM     
junipergirl
Lived in a rental by the beach and sand was soooo bloody annoying! Much and all as I loved being there. Snow was wonderful for a little while till the novelty wore off and my clothes etc were saturated all the time and my toes froze almost off. Give me my temperate climate and the mountains any day!
May 25, 2014 at 3:26AM   
Laura Benjamin
Think, folks--with global warming and rising sea levels, buying higher up is more sustainable, snow or no snow. I'll take my chances with the white stuff. Been in it 25 years now with no serious trouble so far.
May 25, 2014 at 4:15AM     
printesa
I go for the snow. I prefer the mountain area so snow is inevitable. I know it's cold, but without some snow and cold, we wouldn't appreciate the novelty of Spring:)
May 25, 2014 at 4:23AM     
cielosole
Ssssssand, ssssssssun, ssssssssalt, sssssswimming,.......
May 25, 2014 at 4:29AM     
Beantown Sara
Both! We live on the water in New England. The one thing I miss is a private pool, but it's really only warm enough a couple months out of the year, so being by the water makes up for it.
May 25, 2014 at 5:28AM   
Kathleen Marineau
You say sand and I think desert, not beach. I prefer the foothills with lots of oak trees or evergreens. This was my first winter of snow as an adult. It was okay, as long as the power didn't go out. My ideal would be northern west coast, far enough inland to have more sun than fog and big trees in the yard.
May 25, 2014 at 5:50AM     
proaspen
Both. We chose a single family home with 3 car garage in a condo community near Holland, MI. The sand is at our feet and we get snow in the winter. Not to much as Traverse City, but we can still snow shoe and cross county ski here. The beach is less than 1/4 mile away on Lake Michigan. Love it here. Who would have thought Michigan in retirement. Tim Allen's "Pure Michigan" got us up here.
May 25, 2014 at 6:18AM     
lsanchez3
Snow can be pretty but sand is way better.
May 25, 2014 at 6:50AM     
papidun64
I would prefer a winter cottage, because im from the bahamas so im always around beaches and warm climates
May 25, 2014 at 6:54AM     
glorygrace
I'm sick of snow, cold, ice, sleet and did I say cold? Give me warm sand and water, please!!
May 25, 2014 at 7:09AM     
The Original Charleston Bedswing co,llc
either one needs an Original Charleston Bedswing see photos for beach or mountains
May 25, 2014 at 7:11AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Love sand,and the beach, but prefer the hills and woods! hate cold weather.
May 25, 2014 at 7:41AM   
1oldfarmgirl
Sand for sure, I'm cold all winter and I hate it.
May 25, 2014 at 7:58AM   
luckylyn5
Sand, definitely. Born and raised in So Calif and have never lived in snow - I don't think I could deal with it!
May 25, 2014 at 9:07AM   
Rachelle Borbely
I love snow! The sand can be fun - but I've never found a sand that's "comfortable"- it gets every where!!!!
May 25, 2014 at 9:27AM     
Jamie Harrington
I love the mountains, but spring and fall are my favorite times of year: not too hot, not too cold, nice breezes. Snow is magical, so I prefer that to sand, but mountains in the spring & fall is my first choice! :-)
May 25, 2014 at 11:22AM     
Marge Burtch
Our home is about 3 blocks from the Bay, so the sand is what I try to grow grass in. Looking at water is so calming and I absolutely love the spring, summer and autumn here. We do get snow in the winter and a lot of people escape it by going south.
May 25, 2014 at 11:28AM   
lake1114
Snow is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. There is nothing like looking out the window and seeing water-no matter what time of the year.
May 25, 2014 at 11:41AM     
mefor
Sand, absolutely :)
May 25, 2014 at 1:58PM   
lindy2261
Lake1114 -I agree. There are some other bonuses to living by the water: you have control over your view and there is always something to watch on the water. We live on an Inlet on the BC coast and so far this week have watched bald eagles diving, a heron on the beach and a family of merganzer ducks scooting along the water.
May 25, 2014 at 2:06PM     
bevieb2
Mountains
May 25, 2014 at 4:57PM     
kenkilgore
Living on Utah Lake, we have both "sand" and snow!
May 25, 2014 at 5:31PM     
lake1114
lindy2261 Lucky You. The water is always so calming. I can sit and look at the water for hours and never get bored. It is always changing.
May 25, 2014 at 5:31PM     
Thom Spillane
This winter did me in here in New England I want nothing more than to move south.
May 25, 2014 at 5:39PM   
pattikee
Can I have one of each please?
May 25, 2014 at 5:57PM   
Ali
I've lived with snow...brrr and now I am living with sand, literally. Although I love being 15 minutes from the beach in NC, I could really live without the sand because it gets into everything. And I've tried to grow grass in it like Marge B. To get rid of it in my backyard I have added another patio and a garden walking path made out of brick pavers and gravel. What a difference.
May 25, 2014 at 6:24PM   
Rachel H
I need some of each but I'm not a fan of the ocean so I'll take my water's edge by a lake.
May 25, 2014 at 6:27PM     
shadrd
We are retiring to the Oregon high desert next month so we will have both! Living in sand but with enough snow in the winter to remind us why we don't want to be any closer to a snow shovel!
May 25, 2014 at 7:06PM   
janerama
Does life get any better than spending time at Kiawah Island, SC? Give me sand any day; you never have to shovel the sunshine!!
May 25, 2014 at 7:33PM   
calamont52
Lived in NJ all my life. Retired and moved to DE last December. Love being near the ocean. Winters are not as nasty here. Would go further south if I could. Hate snow!!
May 25, 2014 at 7:47PM   
donnawildy
A beach house as I was born in one, BUT I would also love the house in the snow as I have never had a white Christmas and I've put it on my bucket list.
May 25, 2014 at 9:36PM   
talithia
I have lived in either Montana or Wyoming my whole life . In the fall we can have days when the temp may change up to 60 or 70 degrees in one day, always ending the day with snow. White sand, blue water I am so ready!!!!!!
May 26, 2014 at 1:21AM   
floridaisland
Sand by an ocean shore (not desert for me). Containing sand is as easy as an o/s shower, foot shower or well placed hose and a place for shoes. Sand never gets beyond the foyer at my house. I've done snow and there IS a reason most retire "down south".
May 26, 2014 at 1:38AM   
treeseachanger
Not all beaches are tropical! Close to the beach I've had sand flies, poisonous snakes, gnats, salt wind blasting the tender foliage of plants and leave deposits on your windows- which if not cleaned off regularly, permanently pit the glass- and to grow anything including a good lawn means a mountain of compost, soil conditioner and acidic potting mix to combat the poor limestone soils. Also when a squall comes in from the ocean it's batten down the hatches and tie anything down that could be damaged. We all have our challenges!
May 26, 2014 at 3:19AM   
rustyand
tw123456 and Margo; I love where I live. Foothills of west central Sierra of Ca. I have to go a few miles for a lake or river, but we do get snow in the winter. and if you have both already why can't I chose both.. but if one, then snow. I can always drive over to the ocean or wait for it to come to me. I won't live that long...LOL
May 26, 2014 at 8:33AM     
shars55
Rustyand....I grew up in Northern Calif, and am stuck in Southern Calif now, but we would LOVE to move back up there in the foothills when we retire. My favorite place in the whole world is around Calaveras Big Trees and Arnold and Murphy. Lucky you!!!!
May 26, 2014 at 8:58AM     
Autumn McCall
I prefer sand....but not on the beach....up the hill a little bit....better view, better breeze, less sand issues...perfect. If I have to put on 2 pairs of sock, boots, 3 layers of clothes, a scarf and a hat, and then shovel snow...just to grocery shopping???? You can have it! I'll be in the USVI's!!!!!
May 26, 2014 at 8:59AM     
rustyand
shars55, We lived in SoCal for many years but now here in Mariposa.. Love Ironstone Winery.. and 2 place's to stay in San Anderes, " Robin's nest and the little Motel across the street. Can't remember its name. but both are very cosy. Hurry and come back, you can't listen to the wind in the pines way down there.
May 26, 2014 at 9:15AM     
Mark Bischak, Architect
I have both in one home right now. After this winter, I can't wait to sweep sand from my floors.
May 26, 2014 at 11:10AM     
lindymoore
Shore without a doubt!
May 26, 2014 at 12:03PM     
mabelbridges
I voted for sand...still recuperating from this winter's snow!
May 26, 2014 at 8:20PM     
cynthiatgraham
Living in a beautiful coastal town and working the winters in the snow fields, I still love them both. Opposites attract and I cannot decide.
May 27, 2014 at 6:15AM   
karan07777
Snow
May 27, 2014 at 11:11PM   
nauna
We have lived in both & are blessed to have the choice of our final decision. With sand (beach, no desert for us) & warm water you get hurricanes, humidity (stifling air, mildew, mosquitoes, roaches, termites [Orkin]) , skin cancer & yet, melt in your mouth seafood & water fun.
We now live on the top of a hill in snow country with a pristine view & privacy (that we never had in San Diego or Portsmouth, R.I.). Each time it snows our view is like a Currier & Ives card with the snow covering the pine boughs...breath taking. Each season is lovely. I love warm coats, leather boots & gloves, snuggly sweaters & fuzzy scarves. Proper clothing keeps us plenty warm. Our cars are all wheel drive so we can get around in most anything. No shoveling or snow blowing, we just drive over it. We had a record breaking snow the first week in October & a dusting in early May. Yes, it's been a longer than normal winter but we can deal with that. Last year our son accepted a job in Tampa. We'll visit of course, & it's quite pretty, but no plans to move to the sauna.
We are blessed to have choices!
May 28, 2014 at 8:22PM     
karelina
Brrr!
May 28, 2014 at 11:15PM     
LaDiva A
Sand, hands down.
May 29, 2014 at 12:18PM     
Chris Kinate
In the mountains, snow, skiing, hiking, and enjoying summer fun.
May 29, 2014 at 8:15PM   
armygirl1987
There is no way that I would live in the cold, not even for more money. I lived in CT, MA, SC, CA and now in FL. Being from Jamaica I will take the heat over cold any day. If and when I leave FL it will be for GA or NC. Would love to live in CA but too expensive for my blood.
May 29, 2014 at 8:36PM     
rawketgrl
To view the glorious mountain sunrise, to smell the heady lupine in a verdant vertical meadow, to listen to sparkling steams cascading downhill, in winter to ski from the door to the chairlift and to "work" hard at turning left and right all day in the fresh cold snow, then to schuss back home, or in summer hike to a clear emerald green lake sitting in a granite bowl, to soak, tired from fun, in the hot tub and watch the pink drip from the mountains at the end of the day with a cold brew, to tuck into a good book by the fire with a down comfy and my dog next to me. ahhhh this is bliss.
May 29, 2014 at 10:00PM     
nauna
I totally get it, rawketgrl!! And from our hot tub to view the brilliant star lit sky and even the aurora borealis is a glorious experience.
May 30, 2014 at 5:26AM   
lexielyn
My husband and I retired last year and we spend 6months on the jersey shore in the summer and 6months in Naples, florida in the winter. Works out just perfect for us. We hate the cold weather and ice and snow.
May 30, 2014 at 7:09AM     
SoCal Contractor
I love to visit the snow but live by the beach. 2nd home in the mountains.
May 30, 2014 at 7:33AM   
Judy Shepherd
A huge no-brainer, SAND, one flake of snow is one flake too many.
June 1, 2014 at 8:37PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I have spent the last 25 years in San Diego, am tired of gardening 52 weeks a year and having the same temperature 52 weeks a year - heading home to PA with 4 wonderfully different seasons.
June 1, 2014 at 8:41PM   
Tricia's Trivia
We sit on the dock. No sand or snow!
June 1, 2014 at 9:04PM   
viannasawa
Warm sunshine and sand are awesome! Snow is fine at Christmas and then that is enough ! :-)
June 1, 2014 at 9:49PM     
Andrea Szabo
Both. I would hate to have just one of them. I like snow but I need the sun to stay healthy. I would love the sand for a break but I can't stand to be hot constantly. And I love to ski and skate as much as I love swimming and snorkelling. Above all I love my flower garden so I would vote for spring.
June 1, 2014 at 10:02PM   
elbit
"Sand" also identifies habitats in the desert where I live! Sand has its own set of challenges but the sunsets are spectacular.
June 2, 2014 at 1:46AM     
cami19
I get enough snow at home. Why would I want to go somewhere and pay money to get more of the same?
June 2, 2014 at 4:23AM   
Teresa Cline Gallery
with Sand you get stifling humidity,BUGS, lots of them, mold,snakes, alligators, swamps, very limited ability to veg. garden, sharks, rip tides, jelly fish..the list goes on, no thanks. I'm moving back to the mountains soon.
June 2, 2014 at 4:43AM     
annettemb
I think that we're each attracted to different environments. There are water people, who love to be near the shore, and there are mountain people. I'm a mountain person. Being in the mountains, or at least able to see them, fills my heart with joy and gratitude, and when they're blanketed with snow, they're stunning.
June 2, 2014 at 6:09AM     
shars55
Rustyand.....we love Mariposa, too! We love to stay there when we want to go to Yosemite. It's such a quaint, cute little town. We'll get out of our desert and back to Nor Cal one day!
June 2, 2014 at 8:10AM     
impkat
Sand means heat and I hate the heat; I would melt... Snow all the way for me.
June 2, 2014 at 9:40AM   
wingoms
There are places that you can have both!
June 2, 2014 at 10:40AM   
gracey999
I like both; Snow means it will melt, flowers will bloom and summer will come! it's all good in the neighborhood!
June 2, 2014 at 3:56PM   
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
i am a tropical person and and as such would feel like a fish out of water

J Design Group, Top Contemporary Miami Interior Designers - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
June 7, 2014 at 12:30PM   
suzannebeach
I've lived in both the cold northern states as well as on the sandy southern coast. Snow melts. Sand destroys. I still choose sandy beaches!
June 7, 2014 at 5:57PM   
onthecoast1
I like cool and clean. Can't drive in snow and sand is good only occasionally -- it really does get into everything. ugh
June 11, 2014 at 11:06AM   
Averbuch Realty Company
Would love to have enough money to own one of each. Both are beautiful but too much of either would be boring.
June 15, 2014 at 11:45AM   
Feeney Inc.
Another vote for "Other": the ocean!
June 23, 2014 at 10:04AM   
mrse03
I love living in a 4 season area....5 if you include "mud season" ! The hubby wants WARM.....and ocean....all year long..... such a dilemma.....;)
June 23, 2014 at 7:16PM   
New sofa
I planning on re doing my living. I thought that I...
Expanding shower... Advice.. Caution?
I currently have a tiny shower and I wanted to expand...
Kitchen with connected living room
We're currently in the process of remodeling our kitchen,...
To glaze or not to glaze? That is my question.
30 year old home... New cabinets being built. We are...
Kitchen paint help! Please!
My cabinets are very similar to bm niveous (creamy)....