Need advice for Living/Family Room Decor
watergal123
We just purchased this house - here are three pictures of the area. It's not too deep but overlooks the waterfront. I want a light and airy feel in here. I was thinking about a sectional for the middle area.
What are some ideas to make this room come to life? Where should I look for furniture? Should I change the wall color? What about the area by the fireplace? I'd rather two comfy chairs facing one another if I can find two that will fit well (they can't be too oversized). All of the furniture featured is from the previous owner and will not be in the home once we move in. Thank you!!
The odd light fixture in front of the FP would have to go unless you plan a dining table under it, and it is probably too close to the FP for that. Do you want to focus on TV as they have, or on the FP or the view outside? If you put TV where they have that large cabinet, you could place the furniture so that FP, TV and bar are in view, but your back would be to the windows. Where do you want the focus to be? The stairwell behind or at the end of the FP seems a bit weird - maybe a camera issue though.
   May 25, 2014 at 7:11AM
watergal123
I would prefer the furniture face the view which is the waterfront along the windows. Thank you!
   May 25, 2014 at 7:21AM
The Original Charleston Bedswing co,llc
how about an Original Charleston Bedswing in front of the fireplace> www.originalcharlestonbedswing.com
   May 25, 2014 at 7:21AM
rainymorning
The beautiful floors dominate the room. Use that as a starting point. Do you want neutral walls or something with blue-gray tones to reflect the waterside location? Maybe you should look for an inspiration piece, colors you love, whether it's a picture of a rug, some art, linen. Don't go out and buy anything until you fine- tune what appeals to you. One step at a time is best. Colors from nature are often helpful- shells, stones, tree bark. . .play around with them.
1 Like   May 25, 2014 at 7:58AM
watergal123
I like this chair from restoration hardware for the fireplace area. Thoughts?
   May 25, 2014 at 8:10AM
I would get a nice big sisal/sea grass rug for the room;)
   May 25, 2014 at 8:17AM
I have a dream I hope to fulfil one day, and it is to put a trestle table with wing backs on each end in front of a fireplace... You have the perfect spot;)) I would put wicker wings on each end;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge

May 25, 2014 at 8:20AM
rainymorning
The chair from RH is very nice but whether it will be suitable depends on your other furniture. The chairs are formal. Is that the look you want?
   May 25, 2014 at 12:03PM
watergal123
What about the creme colored Easton sectional from room and board? http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sectionals/easton-sectionals
   May 26, 2014 at 5:40AM
rainymorning
Nice. Modern and comfy looking. But I don't think this sofa works with those RH chairs you were considering.
   May 26, 2014 at 5:58AM
edithsmom
Margo (and don't you look terrific!), I am lusting in my heart for the dining area you posted...just sooo inviting, isn't it? Of course, I have no where to put such an area in our home, but dreaming is good.
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 12:43PM
Tripp Harrison Studio and Gallery
Why not start with great artwork and take your color cues from there? A horizontal piece over the fireplace could set the tone for a complete color makeover. The colors in these pieces are very soothing and in line with a waterfront property. Love the floors!
2 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 12:54PM
Warner Decor
Hi! I think I would do a mirror over the fireplace. Here are a few ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/arnia-antique-and-stylish-wood-metal-mirror/
http://deciture.com/cki-rectangle-wall-mirror/
http://deciture.com/ik-neveah-wall-mirror/

Hope this helps you!
   May 27, 2014 at 1:41PM
edithsmom- thanks;) and yes, I am always talking about finding a home to create that dream. I am not currently *living the dream*....
1 Like   May 27, 2014 at 1:44PM
rainymorning
I suggest you not purchase any chairs or sofa without first testing them out: access the comfort. Just because something looks good in a picture doesn't mean it feels good to sit upon.
2 Likes   May 27, 2014 at 3:23PM
Need help decorating living/family room
Never have been able to make this room work. Four...
Need help decorating living/family room
I have never been able to make this room work. It's...
Need help for my living/family room!
We just bought our first house and need help putting...
Small awkward "L" shaped living/family dining room combo. Help needed!!!
Hi my name is Ashley and boy do I have a design dilemma!...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Blinds- should I return them or switch color?
New house, ordered custom made dark brown faux wood...
Trim color for gray house?
We are in the middle of painting the trim on our gray...
Family Room (and more!) decorating help
I could really use some help/advice with my home redecorating...