Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_everett

Dark or light counters with white cabinets and dark floors?

A. Lo
9 years ago
Finally getting a chance to update our kitchen. We've got dark floors, dark warm furniture, and looking to replace the appliances in our cozy kitchen with stainless steel. Question is, what material and color should we go with for our counters and backsplash? Ideas, anyone?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Northstar Building LLC
    9 years ago
    Definitely dark countertops with pendant lights or lighting shining down on the eating area
    A. Lo thanked Northstar Building LLC
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- I would do the counters and backsplash in the same material -- light textured grey quartz . You could also use all white then your accents would add the color .
    A. Lo thanked lefty47
  • A. Lo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, guys. I definitely love the idea of dark counters, but our space is so small. Do you think it would be too dark?
  • mermaide
    9 years ago
    Dark counters will add drama, go for it
    A. Lo thanked mermaide
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Dark counters, light or white backsplash.
    A. Lo thanked Ann
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Because your kitchen is small , that is why I said to keep the counters and backsplash light , and having the counter and backsplash in the same material is the modern tailored way for kitchens now . The black counters do add drama but , dark counters show every bit of crumbs and water spots etc. You have to do constant wiping . If you put new chrome or stainless steel hardware on your cabinets , that would add your drama along with your décor accents.
    A. Lo thanked lefty47
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    We have a very small kitchen and went from a 1950's design that was all white (counters, cabinets, appliances, etc.) to a renovated kitchen that is off-white with dark soapstone counters, stainless appliances, and an off-white backsplash. It didn't darken the room at all, and with the matte finish on the counters, we have no trouble with fingerprints, watermarks, etc. Either combination is lovely. We just wanted a change.
    A. Lo thanked feeny
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    I would go with white cupboards and a light timber top...white makes it look insipid and is also harder to maintain it and keep it white.
    A. Lo thanked Wild Infusion
  • User
    9 years ago
    Counter should be lighter than the floor, darker than the cabinets, kind of a mid tone to blend in with your furniture. Keep the backsplash light and if you can, replace the ceiling fixture with 4" cans on dimmers. Some under cabinet strips would really liven up the space..Your dog is too cute
    A. Lo thanked User
  • A. Lo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    he does like to photobomb
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I like lefty’s suggestion of using the same product on the counters and the backsplash. I, too, would go light. There is a lovely quartz which looks like Carrera marble.
    Cape Cod Estate · More Info
    Cambria Quartz Engineered Countertops from Royal Stone & Tile in Los Angeles · More Info
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    I would love to see a warm coloured counter top (think butcher block...but NOT wood) in this space. The flooring (I'm assuming you are keeping the floors) would really help pick up reddish highlights in any of the brown/rust coloured granites/quartz counter tops.

You can see what I'm going for in the photo in the attachment.
  • A. Lo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So we went with white... But now it looks like we need to paint. The white galaxy granite looks a little too cool with the rest of the house. Any suggestions on paint colors?
  • A. Lo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are a few more...
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    Your new counter looks great. I'd suggest Behr's Swiss Coffee (off white) walls. Plus, more contemporary cabinet hardware will update your space beautifully. Nice choice!
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    if you can paint the back of the breakfast bar and that well up to the timber cupboard corner that would be great as it is looking like two different areas at the moment.....this will bring the kitchen into it's own area...so...a warm colour... Just personal choice but I would not go grey... I would also change the cupboard hardware just a simple chrome handle and I think that the colour on this bathroom wall would look great...But I think painting the bench is a must... Hope you get it the way you want...
  • Cheryl Rushton
    7 years ago
    I am building a house in the country. I like light cabinets. Don't know what color for counter tops and floor.
  • Cheryl Rushton
    7 years ago
    I like your colors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Old posting