Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdshugart

HELP! Paint color for shared girls' bedroom

rdshugart
9 years ago
My 3 daughters, aged 13, 11 & 8 share a large bedroom. At this point, we only have textiles, in the way of comforters and decorative pillows. The color scheme they want includes aqua/turquoise, green, hot pink/magenta, lavender, black & white & yellow. A lot, I know! They would love the walls to be 2 different shades of lavender, but I'm struggling picking out a paint color that we won't hate in 3 months. Any ideas? Thanks so much! Yes, their room really is this messy right now. :0

Comments (7)

• groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Too many colors. It will make them crazy. Talk them into this bright color scheme that has most of the colors they want:
    Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Traditional Bedroom · More Info
  • brooklizburton
    9 years ago
    I totally understand! I went through the exact same thing and am currently stuck with a HOT PINK room.. it drives me crazy. If I could go back, I would paint it white, grey, or any subtle color... so that I could change the theme simply by buying new decor. Hope that helps! :)
  • melwishes
    9 years ago
    So refreshing to see a messy room - reminds me of home :)

Lavender walls will make you all feel nauseous in about three weeks, never mind three months. Use the lavender in something significantly easier to change.

The bedding looks really pretty and in already is in colours that the girls have chosen. How about a large black and white striped mat and then a three colour striped pelmet - say black, white and pink (as it looks like the bed placement prevents a long curtain)?

I dont' know that a room with three individuals is ever going to look really cohesive and I don't think that matters at all - I see that they have stuck pictures on the wall and that allows them to express themselves far better than a "nice" wall that may look better but isn't as personal (that isn't intended to be preachy - it's just that I also have 2 girls (11 and 8) and while a decorated bedroom looks fab when it's neat and clean it doesn't last that long and I rather they felt free to stick up things that they like).....

actually, that just gave me an idea - how about getting each one a pin up board in a colour that they love and placing that above their bed?

It also looks like you may need more storage - a set of shelves that you paint the back of?
  • rdshugart
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you guys for responding. I've read about using lavender as a neutral wall, but I don't think that will work well here. We actually don't need more storage, as there are 2 walk in closets and 2 trundles, but I understand why it looks as if we do; these pictures were taken in the middle of playtime! My oldest daughter is opposed to grey walls, as we have that in several other rooms in the house. We used a grown up pink - Pink Moire by BM in our school room, so they really want something different in their room. I don't care if it doesn't look like a magazine spread, but I don't know that painting the entire room white would be great either. I had been toying with the idea of a large black and white rug to tie the two spaces together. I may just end up doing several test spots.
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    9 years ago
    Wallpaper will solve a lot of the problems with using just one color...

![houzz=
    Tango Pink · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Indira Charcoal · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Ode to the Unhasty Wallpaper, Guava, Set of 2 Rolls · More Info
    ]
  • brooklizburton
    9 years ago
    Maybe a light blue..? Or a lighter version of the colors that they picked...so it's not too crazy