1. Bring a new element into the room. Here, the side tables were a great opportunity to bring in rich wood and just the right amount of whimsy.
2. Add a modern element. The two wire tables in this room kick up the modern factor a notch, as well as bringing in some bright red accents.
3. Introduce texture. These burnt orange leather, studded, drum-like side tables add a new texture. Also, their height and scale look just right next to the sofa and the chair.
This one brings in marble, light wood, and a sculptural shape.
4. Provide a spot for vases and flowers. This shapely side table provides and opportunity to add more accents to the room on its surface.
5. Add shine. Metallic side tables are a great way to add some chrome without overdoing it.
6. Add double-duty storage. This table can take on your wine and your books and magazines due to its lower shelf.
Here's another side table that does double duty. It's also a great size for placing a table lamp.
7. Start a conversation. You barely notice the glass top on this table, and perhaps you and your guests can sit around and wonder if that top part has any function...
...although this John Dickinson side table will probably get the generate the most conversation!
8. Make you feel like you are on a home staging show. I challenge you to watch any of those shows and not see this classic Eileen Gray side table. At least any of the shows where they do nice work.
Here two side tables create a coffee table and add a bit of symmetry.
Here an antique trunk on a stand makes a very nice side table with hidden storage. Magazines, coasters, linens, even a throw blanket can be tucked away in there.
Does anyone know what this side table was in a former life? I keep wanting to say "firkin" but I don't think that's right. What the heck is a firkin? Oh, thanks dictionary.com, it's a wooden barrel used for butter or lard. Perhaps this is a firkin?
12. Serve as movable drink stands for cocktails al fresco. These tables can move to wherever the guest and their margaritas decide to sit down.