1. Start with your bed...it will be the most prominent feature in the room due to its sheer size. Invest in good quality bed linens. They are readily available in many discount retail stores so they are not as expensive as they once were. Don't just look at thread count but open the package enough to actually feel the fabric. Good linens wash well and will last several years, so they are often worth the investment...not to mention the value of a good nights rest.
2. Since we're building our dream bedroom, go all out and drape your bed in yards and yards of luxurious fabric. If that's not in the budget, consider adding netting or drapes just at the corners for that over-the-top bed of your dreams.
3. If you have hardwood floors, consider adding a nice big rug. Wool rugs are super comfortable underfoot and wear like iron. They are also pretty stain resistant. Another great look is sisal...really warms up a bedroom. Just look for one that isn't too hard and will be comfortable underfoot.
4. Every bedroom needs a cozy chair for some evening reading or hot chocolate sipping. If it has an ottoman...that's all the better. Toss an afghan across the ottoman to ward off those chilly nights.
5. There was a time when chandeliers were only for dining rooms...HA...who made that silly rule? Find the chandelier of your dreams and it will make your room!
6. While we are building our dream bedroom, let's go for a little glam. Find a little spot for a beautiful dressing table...it will look lovely displaying your jewelry and perfume.
7. If your bedroom has a sitting area, make it a wonderful retreat for the end of the day. Some cozy seating, a beautiful rug and some great books or magazines and you'll have the perfect spot to unwind.
8. If you don't have a sitting room or room for a chair in your bedroom, consider adding a window-seat underneath a window or in an alcove or dormer. It could become your cozy spot to curl up for a good read or just a nice place to dream and gaze out on moonlit nights.
9. Wouldn't we all want a fireplace in our dream bedroom? If your home wasn't built with one, they now make some very realistic gas fireplaces that don't even require venting.
10. A simple luxury to add to your dream bedroom is a tea set. It's a reminder to slow down each day and relax a little before turning in.
11. Another special touch to any dream bedroom are fresh flowers. Once a week, pick some from your garden or just pick up a small bouquet at your local super market. Place them near your bed so they are the first thing you see when you wake up each morning. :)
12 Speaking of flowers, while we are building our dream bedroom, consider opening up an outside wall and installing multiple sets of French or louvered doors. Every day will feel like your on vacation, especially...
if it opens out to a view like this. If your bedroom opens out into your yard, create a fantasy retreat just outside. With the doors thrown open, the two areas will become one. Can you just imagine looking out on this view each evening? ~~~sigh~~~