Create an ideabook for your next remodeling project!
Browse more than 1,000,000 photos from top designers and save your favorites
2. Swap out your light fixtures. A chandelier, for example, will add a bit of glam to your traditional kitchen, providing a relevant edge.
3. Add pendant lights. If your country-style kitchen isn’t properly lit, now is the time to fix it; pendant lights will make it appear that much more modern. Install them over work areas, such as countertops or the island, to improve your space aesthetically and functionally.
4. Pull the lighting throughout the space. Be sure you’ve added lighting beneath the cabinetry as well as near the ceiling. This will eliminate shadows and give your space a fresh, balanced feel.
7. Get out the paint. A country-style kitchen can feel instantly modern with new color. Paint the walls, cabinetry, ceiling beams — whatever you feel could use a little modern punch.
9. Choose contemporary furnishings. What you choose to fill your kitchen has a huge impact on its overall aesthetic. Instead of going with traditional table and chairs, look for something with a modern appeal. It may seem counterintuitive, but your space will become enlivened.
10. Do away with cabinetry. Open shelving is all the rage right now. Swap cabinetry for shelving for an instant style upgrade and an airy, relaxed aesthetic, especially when juxtaposed with a natural wood island.
Kitchen Workbook: 15 Elements of a Traditional Kitchen
Your Kitchen: 10 Great Alternatives to Granite Countertops
How to Add Cottage Charm to Your Kitchen