Designer's Touch: The Kitchen
Give your kitchen that design-pro look with these 10 tips from an interior design expert
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior designer of The Inman Company. After earning a B.A. in interior design from Michigan State University, he started his career specializing in custom kitchen and bath design. He is a certified interior designer by the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), a certified kitchen designer by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) and also holds the highest-ranking memberships with the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior... More »
Kitchens are often now the most used space in the home, meaning they require special attention. If you're feeling like your kitchen lacks that extra something, try these behind-the-scenes designer tips to bring your kitchen to life with great style.
1. Show off. If you have a distinctive collection, use it to take your kitchen to new heights. For a modern take on old-world style, remove your upper cabinetry and install open shelving in any material. Your collectibles are now prepared to strut their stuff.
2. Take it to the top. In some spectacular kitchens, the wall cabinets meet the ceiling. If yours don't, you can add wood with crown molding to achieve a heightened elegance.
3. Let there be light. If your ceiling-mounted light fixture is standard, add some sparkling character by swapping in a chandelier or shaded pendant.
4. Let flow meet function. If your kitchen is feeling closed off, replace any upper-cabinet wood doors with glass to provide an open and visual transition from one room to the next.
5. Deck the walls. Apply your favorite wall covering to your kitchen walls for fascinating flair. Make sure the one you choose is durable and washable — you'll thank yourself on spaghetti night.
6. Keep an open mind. Remove your upper cabinet doors for quaint cottage appeal and add your most colorful dishware for a picture-perfect effect.
7. Make your ceiling magic. White ceilings can be lackluster. Easily transform yours into a coffer-inspired masterpiece by installing wood in your favorite pattern and painting it white.
8. Tell a color story. Whether you're beginning a story or rewriting one, use color to make a splash. Transform your kitchen into a best seller by painting just the island a hip and catchy color. Don't want to stop there? Paint the same color inside your glass upper cabinets. Now that's a book that can be judged by its cover.
9. Create wall art. Use your favorite tile to create a stunning backsplash installed from countertop to ceiling as your own personal touch of art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so get creative.
Ideabook published on March 12, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: