1. Show off. If you have a distinctive collection, use it to take your kitchen to new heights. For a modern take on old-world style, remove your upper cabinetry and install open shelving in any material. Your collectibles are now prepared to strut their stuff.
2. Take it to the top. In some spectacular kitchens, the wall cabinets meet the ceiling. If yours don't, you can add wood with crown molding to achieve a heightened elegance.
4. Let flow meet function. If your kitchen is feeling closed off, replace any upper-cabinet wood doors with glass to provide an open and visual transition from one room to the next.
5. Deck the walls. Apply your favorite wall covering to your kitchen walls for fascinating flair. Make sure the one you choose is durable and washable — you'll thank yourself on spaghetti night.
6. Keep an open mind. Remove your upper cabinet doors for quaint cottage appeal and add your most colorful dishware for a picture-perfect effect.
7. Make your ceiling magic. White ceilings can be lackluster. Easily transform yours into a coffer-inspired masterpiece by installing wood in your favorite pattern and painting it white.
8. Tell a color story. Whether you're beginning a story or rewriting one, use color to make a splash. Transform your kitchen into a best seller by painting just the island a hip and catchy color. Don't want to stop there? Paint the same color inside your glass upper cabinets. Now that's a book that can be judged by its cover.
9. Create wall art. Use your favorite tile to create a stunning backsplash installed from countertop to ceiling as your own personal touch of art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so get creative.