Designer's Touch: Living Rooms
These design ideas from a professional will help make your living room the liveliest room in the home
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior designer of The Inman Company. After earning a B.A. in interior design from Michigan State University, he started his career specializing in custom kitchen and bath design. He is a certified interior designer by the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), a certified kitchen designer by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) and also holds the highest-ranking memberships with the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior... More »
Is your living room running out of life? Since this room is usually the largest space in your home, it's the best spot to make the biggest statement of your own personal style. Try your hand at reviving and invigorating your living room using the ones below as inspiration.
1. Don't be afraid of the dark. Try painting all of your base moldings and window casings a dark color. Home dwellers that are able to take a leap of faith by diverting from the traditional colors of white and off-white get handsomely rewarded.
2. In the buff. For rooms that require little or no privacy, go au naturel. Remove all drapery treatments from your windows to allow that beautiful natural light to enhance any living space.
3. King of pop art. Take the focal point away from the actual fireplace by painting it the same color as the walls. Install artwork of your choice above and watch as your new focal point pops.
4. Shutter bug. Shutters are a spectacular way to control light and are considered an upgrade from traditional draperies. Install shutters for a classic and timeless statement, then paint them in the color of your choice.
5. Crown jewels. Elevate your living room to royalty status by easily applying decorative crown molding to create a noticeable presence. Add a gorgeous chandelier for that final touch of bling that might make even her majesty envious.
6. Arrange in an offbeat way. Place your furniture differently than the norm: Set it diagonally to create a magazine-ready space.
7. Lighten up. Illuminate boring walls by installing sconces to accentuate symmetry around any focal point. Balance and unity come together to envelop your space in light.
8. Chevron chic. Want a fresh update without spending a lot of money? Throw down an oversize chevron-patterned rug to bring a zigzag pizzazz focal point down to the floor.
9. Go high end. Couture isn't just for clothing. Dressing your windows with floor-to-ceiling draperies will heighten your ceiling. This is a brilliant and simple fix to camouflage awkwardly sized or misplaced windows.
10. Mix and match. Create texture and visual appeal by mixing and matching favorite fabrics in one room. Stick to the theme of anything goes by combining plaids, stripes and polka dots. These patterns work wonders together when put together with intent.
Browse thousands of living room photos
More Designer's Touch:
The Master Bathroom
Master Bedrooms That Take Command
Ideabook published on April 2, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: