2. Create a solid screen. It would be easy to tuck recycling bins or a compost pail behind this compact design — which looks like an architectural element of the home. It's not high enough to mask a standard wheeled trash can, but a smaller one would fit nicely.
3. Give climbing vines a framework on which to grow. Over time, these climbers will ascend to a height that can obscure the view of any bins behind them.
4. Install a sliding door. Are barn-style doors ever not cool? They'd be particularly good at concealing cans — just push them aside and wheel the trash out.
6. Channel Asian style. This fence recalls a Japanese shoji screen. If there were bins behind it, you'd never guess — it simply looks like a decorative part of the hardscape.
7. Use a gate as disguise. The panels that conceal the trash cans outside this home look like a classic fence-and-gate combo, thanks in part to the matching section that flanks the steps.