Entertaining Ideas: Creative Spring Party Planning
Fabric and favors and fun, oh my! These 8 ideas for parties at home will have you welcoming in spring among friends
Houzz Contributor. You can also find me on Lolalina (http://www.lolalina.com/), my blog devoted to all of the things that make a house a home - decorating from the heart, living with intention, and savoring life's simple pleasures.
Spring provides the perfect excuse to round up friends and neighbors for a celebration. Join us this week and get inspired with these eight creative ideas for your next party.
1. A color theme makes decorating a snap. If you want to make a big visual impact, try picking a color scheme early on and stick to it. Having everything coordinated creates a rich, cohesive look, even if you're using simple paper plates and cups. Paper lanterns, streamers and old-fashioned straws are cheap and cheerful.
2. Use what you have. No matching chairs? No time to buy flowers? Look around your house and get creative. Grab a few potted herbs or flowers from your porch to use as a centerpiece, and call every mismatched chair and stool into service. Drape a colorful cloth on the table (hey, even a bed coverlet could work) and string up bunting, and you're good to go.
3. Host a crowd without going over budget. Don't let cost stop you from hosting a larger gathering if that's what you really want. Cheap "filler" flowers like angel's breath can make a dramatic statement when used in great big bunches, a roll of burlap from the hardware store makes a charming runner, and mason jars are perfect rustic-chic glasses. Want to save more? Make it a potluck!
4. Start a breakfast club. Having friends over for weekend breakfast or brunch is a wonderful way to entertain — it's easy to throw together a meal, and everyone is happy to start the day on such a cheerful note. Love this idea? Make it a weekend tradition. Gather a group of friends and take turns hosting.
5. Craft your own canopy. Canopies add an exotic note to any outdoor space, and they're ideal for blocking unsavory views. Take a cue from this page in the book Decorate and make your own canopy from a length of pretty cloth and a few bamboo poles.
6. Provide warmth. Like fall, spring weather can be fickle. Be prepared by draping a few fluffy blankets around your outdoor seating areas. Your guests will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
7. Try a DIY project. Looking for a fun handmade addition to your celebration? Paper pom-poms are all the rage, and they're simple enough to make. Check out this tutorial to craft your own.
8. Create a favor. If you want to leave a lasting impression, give your guests a goodie to go home with. Crafty blogger Rubyellen Bratcher came up with these beauties: minipies wrapped in fabric scraps and finished with a kraft paper tag. Sweet!
Entertaining at Home: A Host of Party-Prep Ideas
How to Arrange Your Room for Entertaining
Ideabook published on April 9, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: