Outdoor Rugs Have Style Covered
Bring indoor coziness to a patio or porch with area rugs designed for the outdoors
When designing outdoor entertaining areas, many of us omit the one element we use indoors to tie our spaces together: area rugs. Just as you would in your indoor space, add color, define seating areas and warm up your outdoor living room simply by throwing down a rug. Here are eight stylish ways to spruce up your patio with an outdoor floor covering.
1. Place a rug under your table. Ground your outdoor eating space with a bold, graphic, weather-resistant area rug. One benefit of dining outdoors: If there's a spill during dinner, simply pull out the hose and give your rug a good wash.
2. Create a conversation area. Define your conversation area by placing all of your outdoor furniture around your rug.
See the rest of this yard
See the rest of this yard
3. Add color, even in small spaces. The pattern and color of the rug shown here bring instant style to this small outdoor space. The single chair is more interesting against the bright hues.
4. Designate zones. Outdoor area rugs can help designate zones for different activities. In the image shown here, the rug is used to warm up the seating area but opens up to the cafe-height table as well.
5. Add comfort by going big. If you have the space, consider using a large-scale rug to make your outdoor area feel more comfortable. This covered patio space feels more like an indoor living area due to the scale and warmth added by the rug.
6. Repeat patterns. Although the pillows on the chaise longues are separated from the rug in the seating area, the pattern used in the two spaces unifies the areas and makes for a cohesive deck design.
7. Less is more. If your budget or space won't allow for a large rug, choosing a smaller piece with a great pattern is better than not having a rug at all. This modern outdoor area is more interesting and beautiful with the addition of this small rug.
8. Cover your walkways. Placing rugs in hallways is a rule of thumb used by design professionals to warm up those otherwise neglected spaces. This same rule can be applied to your outdoor patio. If you have a narrow walkway connecting two areas of your patio or deck, adding an outdoor rug (or more than one, as shown here) brings warmth and interest.
20 great weather-resistant rugs
Stylish Rugs Upgrade Outdoor Space
Interview: 10 Secrets to a Stunning Outdoor Room
How to Mix Furniture Styles on the Patio
Ideabook updated on April 8, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: