Designer's Touch: 10 Jaw-Dropping Media Rooms
Turn a ho-hum movie night into an Oscarworthy event with a dramatic and welcoming media room
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior designer of The Inman Company. After earning a B.A. in interior design from Michigan State University, he started his career specializing in custom kitchen and bath design. He is a certified interior designer by the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), a certified kitchen designer by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) and also holds the highest-ranking memberships with the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior... More »
Countless hours are spent around the TV with family and friends. If you are lucky enough to have a home theater or media room, why not make movie night a showstopper? These 10 designer tips will give you the tools to help your media room steal any show.
1. Meeting of the minds. Why not have all of your favorite books and movies in the same room? Simply install decorative shelving for that distinguished library feel right inside your media room. Then you can choose a classic book or a classic movie all in one place.
2. Painted scene. Channel your inner Michelangelo and paint the perfect illusion of a blue sky on the ceiling of your media room for an ethereal effect. It's an ingenious approach to creating the perfect outdoor movie night with all the comforts of home.
3. Unscripted style. Replace all of your traditional media seating with with an oversize platform bed that allows viewers to totally relax by laying down. Your friends and family will never want to leave.
4. Behind the scenes. Add texture and style to your media room by hanging curtains to act as a divider between the game room and movie room. Just draw them shut when either side needs privacy.
5. Quiet on the set. Cover the walls of your media room with upholstery tufted in your favorite fabric for a wall application that creates the proper acoustics.
6. Movie under the stars. Add an enchanting cosmic delight to any home theater experience by installing fiber optics into the ceiling. Sit under the glowing night sky while watching your favorite movie.
7. Sound check. For a commercial-quality surround-sound effect in your theater, try an acoustical ceiling.
8. Hollywood royalty. Achieve old-time Hollywood extravagance by cladding your entire media room in a plush red palate of shag carpet, velvet walls, fabric-covered ceilings and overstuffed furniture.
9. Oscar-winning performance. Help your media room double as a living room when not in use. This contemporary yet comfortable space is perfect for entertaining with or without a movie.
10. Of stage and screen. Give your media room's screen a stage that commands attention. Add lush draperies, dapper moldings and sconces to accentuate the stage and create a full theater effect. Bravo!
12 Mega Media Rooms
Ideabook published on April 30, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: