Create an ideabook for your next remodeling project!
Browse more than 1,000,000 photos from top designers and save your favorites
The Mid- to Upper-Range Kitchen Remodel
What if the existing kitchen layout doesn't work? Maybe you want more space because you really love to bake and want a place to roll and cut out all those holiday cookies. Or a a kitchen island is something you've always wanted so that friends and family can sit nearby as you display your culinary skills.
A $40,000 to $75,000 kitchen remodel might include:
1. A total rework of the space. Everything, including the kitchen sink, may need to be moved, which means new plumbing, electrical, air ducts and so on.
2. Professional-style appliances. From the 48-inch built-in stainless steel refrigerator to the 48-inch cooktop with grille and griddle to the 30-inch double convection ovens, this kitchen is all about creating wonderful meals.
3. Custom island. And if you want an island, why not make it like some large piece of furniture with legs and beadboard? It's a perfect place for the kids to sit and do homework while the evening meal is being prepared.
The Deluxe Kitchen Remodel
If custom cabinetry, built-in refrigeration and a La Cornue range are all must-haves, you're talking high style and the price tag that goes with it. This kitchen is for real cooks. It would be a shame to be surrounded by all this gorgeous stuff and not use it.
A $100,000-plus kitchen remodel might include:
1. A total rework of the space. Just as with the mid- to upper-range kitchen, don't be surprised if everything, including the kitchen sink, gets moved, which means new plumbing, electrical, air ducts and so on. Often, you are gutting the space and starting from scratch.
2. Architectural consistency. A tall ceiling with beadboard finish, crown moldings, leaded glass windows, authentic baseboard and casing, plus other architectural details ensure that the kitchen space will visually connect with and feel like a part of the rest of the house after the remodeling is done.
3. Rich materials and accessories. Wood floors, stone counters, a chandelier and an Oiental rug will all contribute to the high-end style and elegance you're after.
4. Custom cabinetry throughout. Well-made, well-crafted and beautifully finished cabinetry in custom sizes will make your kitchen uniquely yours.
5. A stove and hood that a French chef would be proud of. Sure it's the cost of a small (or even a large) BMW, but why not? This stove by La Cornue, hand assembled and custom built to an owner's specification, has style, beauty and function all in one.
6. Stone mosaic backsplash. Reinforce the special nature of the cooking area with a backsplash that draws attention to it.