Designer's Touch: 10 Cozy Dens
Elevate your den from DVD dumping ground to a welcoming, sophisticated room using these pro tips
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior designer of The Inman Company. After earning a B.A. in interior design from Michigan State University, he started his career specializing in custom kitchen and bath design. He is a certified interior designer by the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), a certified kitchen designer by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) and also holds the highest-ranking memberships with the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior... More »
The den has been comfortably situated under the living room's shadow for far too long. It is high time to redesign, repaint and rearrange your den to make it shine. Try your hand at a few of these designer tips to bring your den back into the limelight.
1. Shelf-centered. Boost your den's ego and proudly flank the sofa with shelving for unity and organization. Use your new shelf space to display your favorite photos, art and bric-a-brac.
2. Den of knowledge. Want a library but don't have the space? Transform your den into a miniature Library of Congress by installing cabinetry from floor to ceiling. Load with your collection of hardcovers and paperbacks for instant character.
3. No more writer's block. Incorporate a personalized desk area into your den to stimulate creativity.
4. Den-ocracy. Change is always good. Turn the office adjacent to the living room into a den that everyone in the house can equally enjoy. Design justice for all!
5. Den of sophistication. Envelop your entire den in wood paneling for sophistication and timeless elegance. Nothing says warm and cozy like wood.
6. Just the right fit. If you have a small room that isn't large enough to be a bedroom and isn't small enough to be a home office, simply create your own den. Forfeit the traditional sofa and add two easy chairs for perfect TV viewing.
7. Hidden agenda. Set a daybed behind a wall of draperies in your den for extra sleeping space. Den by day, guest bedroom by night.
8. Kiddie corner. Turn your existing den into a gallery of glorious and original canvas work by your Picasso-in-training. Your entire wall of artwork has just become your decor.
9. Den right. Install a row of cabinetry, an undercounter refrigerator and a countertop to any wall in your den for your own private bar. Add open shelving and club chairs, and your den will soon resemble the Ritz-Carlton.
Ideabook published on May 7, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: