1. Rust. Straight from the Paris runway, rust is the color of the moment. Varying tones of an orange-rust can provide energy to a room. Gray and greige adorned many a wall last year, so simply adding a rust-colored accent is an easy way to bring your space into 2011.
These rust-colored tiles add a splash of playful color to this kitchen and pair nicely with steel and gray tones.
2. Mirrored finish. A mirrored cocktail table or other furniture piece adds sophistication and glamour to both traditional and modern spaces.
A reflection from this mirrored lamp adds light and sparkle to this bedroom.
3. Type. Typography and modern art can easily bring a space up to date. See how one stylish letter can pump up the volume in a room?
A wall display of text, paintings and photos give this living room a lift.
4. Storage as art. Create accent pieces from your stuff, whether you have a stack of a favorite magazines, beautiful jewelry or colored paper clips. All you need is a clear container to keep your display looking organized and in style.
Seashells, jewelry and more can look great in glass urns, and what could be easier?
5. Illuminations. Modern lighting gives this space the updated interest it needs. The addition of a simple, streamlined and functional piece always a room an effective update.