Designer's Touch: 10 Amazing Basement Upgrades
Transform that haphazard, underutilized basement into a useful, stylish, recreation-ready room in your home with these pro tips
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior designer of The Inman Company. After earning a B.A. in interior design from Michigan State University, he started his career specializing in custom kitchen and bath design. He is a certified interior designer by the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), a certified kitchen designer by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) and also holds the highest-ranking memberships with the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).
Houzz Contributor. Shane Inman is president and senior principal interior... More »
Is the clutter in your basement driving you insane? Get your last bit of spring cleaning done and clear out this underused — and underappreciated — space. Rejuvenate your basement with these designer tips and add functionality, style and square footage to your home.
1. All bases covered. Install open shelving along all the walls of your basement for organized storage. Display household items, games and toys as decor.
2. Beautiful basement. If you have a slightly larger budget, fully design it to become another usable level of your home. Add a flat-screen TV, cabinetry, furniture and games for that ultimate bar and recreation room.
3. Total basement fitness. Set up a dedicated physical fitness area in your basement to save time and money. Add an adjacent play area to keep a watchful eye on the kiddies while you're working out.
4. Basement exhibition. Convert your basement space into a gallery, with all of your personal favorite artwork on the walls.
5. Steps to success. Construct a perfectly functional office under the basement stairs with built-in cabinetry and convenient open shelving to store bills and household paperwork. Save space and stay organized all under one staircase.
6. Divide and counter. Place a counter-level bookcase with exposed shelves and — voilà! Counter space, privacy and easy access to all your books, with a defined television space.
7. Bookworm addition. Read all your favorites in your own personal oasis of knowledge with a built-in floor-to-ceiling library. What a great idea to showcase your piano in the basement, too — if you dare.
8. Bold basement. Take a risk and paint your basement a dark color. Bold color equals a dramatic and cozy basement.
9. Vino vault. Wine lovers can make their dreams come true with their own wine cellar just down the stairs. Stock up on what your palette desires and have your favorite bottle right at your fingertips.
10. Billiards basement. Layer your basement with wainscoting, crown moldings and carpeting, and top it off with a professional pool table. Your dynamic game room awaits — with or without a wet bar.
Ideabook published on May 21, 2012.
"It's the Flickr of design idea sites"
"The online equivalent of clipping decor inspiration from magazines"
"A digital look book for interior-decorating ideas"
"So long scrapbooks and online bookmarks! ...it can be hard to stop. Consider yourself warned."
"One of the most comprehensive collections of home design images"
"One of Home and Living's favorite websites"
"Just click on the image you like and save it to your own Ideabook... It's quite an addictive site"
What are you working on?
News From Our Partners
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for: