Create an ideabook for your next remodeling project!
Browse more than 1,000,000 photos from top designers and save your favorites
This structure looks simple but packs in quite a bit of function. The benches on either side keep little tushes out of the sand and provide a spot for parents to perch as well, and the roof shelters kids from too much sun.
With the wooden cover on, this sandbox looks like a decorative detail. But the cover's role goes beyond beauty — it also protects the sand from cats or other animals who might treat it as a litter box, and shields it from fall leaves and spring rains.
This sandbox is tucked in the shade beneath a playhouse structure that looks like a kid's own personal beach cabana. Removable grates on top of the box make it easy to sift out debris and keep out critters.
Although its design is streamlined, this sunken sandbox is oriented along the walkway so thoughtfully that it becomes an integral part of the hardscaping.
A feat of green design as well as visual appeal, this trio of industrial-size water drums includes a sandy spot for teeny-tinies to enjoy.
This free-form sand pit appears to flow like water along the rocks that surround it.
Once your sand-filled setup is ready for playtime, follow these tips to keep little ones safe:
• Replace sand at least once a year. Old sand can harbor bacteria that lingers throughout the off season.
• Be mindful of the sand you choose. Some varieties contain crystalline silica, a carcinogenic compound, so look for brands that are marked "silica free." River or beach sand is usually fine, and companies such as Safe Sand offer good options as well.
• Have your sandbox fitted with a cover to ward off wildlife and pets and to keep sand dry during rainy days. If sand does get wet, allow it to dry completely before you replace the cover.
• Aerate sand periodically with a trowel or rake to check for trash and other unwanted debris.
• Always supervise sandbox playtime, especially for younger kids who might be tempted to taste the contents.
Browse thousands of clever kids' spaces