1. Offices and dens. One of my favorite tricks is to use a sisal or jute rug underneath a smaller vintage Oriental, Oushak or Kilim rug. When you find a vintage rug that is too small for the room but want to use it anyway, a great solution is to layer it on top of a natural fiber rug.
Beige, black and white. Monochrome with a bit of drama. Here a natural fiber rug anchors the room and provides a calming backdrop to more ornate pieces like the the tapestry and chandelier. A traditional Oriental rug would completely change the look of this room and would cause it to feel heavier or more serious. The natural fiber rug lends a more casual feel.
Natural fiber rugs are often flat woven and can be layered with smaller rugs and hides.
3. Modern and eclectic living rooms. This is one of my favorite rooms on Houzz. In this setting with a mix of vintage style upholstered furniture and a whimsical chandelier juxtaposed against traditional architecture, I can't imagine anything other than a natural fiber rug to tie the space together.
When you have a larger room where two or more rugs might be desired, natural fiber rugs help you mix and layer different weaves, fibers, colors and patterns.
4. Dining rooms. I love the way natural fiber rugs look in a dining room. I know they might be less than practical when it comes to falling pieces of food or drink spills, but I often suggest them regardless. Stains clean up easier than one thinks.
There's something about the way natural fiber rugs transition so naturally with wood floors.
5. Kitchens. Natural fiber rugs are great for kitchens. They naturally repel dirt and you can take them outside and shake them out. Strangely, I find that having a natural fiber rug underfoot doesn't make me think to take off my shoes and I don't worry about it. I love using them for entrance mats as well as in mudrooms and entryways.
6. Bedrooms. Even in bedrooms, natural fiber area rugs and even wall-to-wall carpet is a terrific option. I love the way it feels on bare feet. I even use jute rug as a bathmat.