Cindy's home photos look like they were taken out of a magazine, so we couldn't believe it when we found out it was a rental home. Talented Cindy invested a lot of love and attention in every corner of her apartment and we are loving the end results.
We were even more amazed to learn that Cindy, while being a single mom with a full time silicon valley job, is also running a successful blog in which she is documenting her love for decorating and gardening.
I'm very happy to introduce you today to Cindy and her inviting romantic home
Please tell us about your "first meeting" with your house to be
About 5 1/2 years ago I was looking for a two bedroom apartment for my daughter and I and the very first place I found online had me very intrigued because it had a small backyard and it was a two story with the bedrooms upstairs. Those are two things you rarely see in apartments in Silicon Valley! Other than those great qualities it didn't have the charm I really wanted. Ideally I wanted an old place with crown moulding and lots of beautiful architectural detail. This apartment was very beige and very 1969 but the backyard really sold me! I knew I could add some of the charm I wanted with my furniture and accessories.
The first step of your remodeling process
I'm very fortunate to have a landlord that allows me to paint so I started by painting the walls! It was so wonderful to cover up all that beige! I also changed out some of the light fixtures. My dining room had an ugly ceiling fan light so I replaced it with a vintage crystal chandelier that I bought at a garage sale for $30. I'll have to change it back before I move out but it's worth it!
The biggest renovation challenge you faced
The kitchen had the same beige paint on the walls and on the cabinet that was on the rest of the interior. I wasn't kidding when I said it was VERY beige in there! I painted the kitchen cabinets white and the walls a blue-gray. That was a huge job! I think it took almost 3 full days but it looks so much better now!
Your favorite style and colors
I love a lot of different styles, French Country, Cottage Style and Shabby Chic. My place is sort of a combination of all of those with an elegant twist. I love the elegance of crystal chandeliers, old silver, vintage linens and lace, and floral dishes. My favorite colors are light blue and white but I also like pink in small amounts!
A spot in your house that makes you very happy
I love my dining room. I found my hutch on craigslist and my dining room table and chairs at a thrift store. I painted all of it white and recovered the dining room chairs myself! I'm a single mom and I'm proud that I did this all on my own!
Your precious accessory/furniture/art
It would have to be a 3-tiered dish that my mom bought in a shop at Disneyland when I was about 8 years old. I still remember her buying it! It was a very extravagant purchase for my mom back then but she fell in love with it and had to have it. It was always in our dining when I was growing up and a few years back my mom passed it down to me because she knew I loved it. It's a beautiful piece and very sentimental to me!
Your next house project
I'm in the process of fixing up my 16 year old daughter's room right now. It's going to be totally different than any other part of our apartment. It will be black and white with bright green. It was important for me that her room reflect her style and not mine. I think it's going to look great when we finish!
5 things that houzz readers need to know about you and your blog
1. My blog is my creative outlet. I spend most of my day sitting in a cubicle in Silicon Valley not doing anything creative what-so-ever! My blog gives me a chance to be creative. It's like I'm the artistic director of my own magazine! It's so much fun!
2. I try to post 5 days a week and take the weekends off. My weekends are used for coming up with material to blog about!
3. I love giving things away on my blog! Sometimes it's things I buy and sometimes it's things that other companies give me to give away. It's my way of giving something back to my readers.
4. I'm a very visual person so I try to make my blog beautiful. I try to keep my text short and to the point. There are so many blogs to read out there, and I know most people don't have the time to read longs posts from me every day. I choose what I have to say with photos more than words.
5. The nicest people in the world read my blog! I am not kidding! I had no idea there were so many kindred spirits out there and they're spread out all over the world! It's the most amazing thing! They touch my heart every day with their thoughtful comments!
Best tip for the remodeling beginner
Just go for it! Don't be afraid! There is so much great information on the internet to help you do almost anything!
Last but not least: as a houzz friend, Cindy has chosen a Target giveaway gift card to one of the lucky readers that will share their thoughts about her house and interview.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful romantic home Cindy!
For your chance to win a $50 Target gift card, comment on this interview by Sunday, November 8st, at 5pm EST.