Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghan_carrigan

Off center fireplace with centered hearth

Meghan Carrigan
9 years ago
So we ripped down the old lava rock fireplace and are fixing the drywall, but now we have this awkward cinderblock fireplace and hearth. (The hearth is covered with a blanket) Husband only wants to tile the cinderblock and keep the drywall on the "short" side as drywall. I think that will be terrible since the hearth keeps going on that side. Any ideas on what we can do to make it look nice instead of awkward?

Comments (6)

• apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    The photos look like the sit-upon structure is actually symmetric with the fireplace opening. What are the measurements? Any photos without the blue blanket?
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I don't quite understand your situation, so my comments are based on what I think is going on. If not, please ignore them.

First of all, did your husband hang sheetrock over the left side of the fireplace making it look uneven, or is that the way it came? If he did in fact close it in, I'd remove the sheetrock so the fireplace is even on both sides. That's the first issue you need to address if you don't want it to be an eyesore you hate the rest of the time you live in that house.

I assume the fireplace extends to the ceiling, and has been sheetrocked over. I'd remove the sheetrock from there too as it doesn't look like it's going to look good when it's done. You're better off having a brick wall from floor to ceiling than one that looks like someone has been trying to cover it up.

I would tile or brick it so it doesn't look unfinished. There are all sorts of nice stacked stone type bricks you can get that are very modern and attractive, and will enhance the look of the room.
  • Meghan Carrigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    hayleydaniels,
    Nope. There is nothing under the sheetrock but studs and insulation. We were hoping for brick all the way up and were surprised at the random uneven surround.

Since there was not brick all the way up, we decided not to go all the way up to the ceiling with the tile. I know no designer ever likes it, but we are planning on putting our TV above the fireplace and have already wired it.

apple-pie-order, yes the hearth is centered with the fireplace, it's just the surround that is awkward. My carmera broke so I can't take another pic at the moment without the blanket. I want to just even it out with the tile we put up, but he's adamant on not doing that...I have no idea why. So I'm researching other ideas. I thought about building in a woodbox on that side, but it wouldn't be inset and I wonder if that would look just as funny.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Looks like all you need to do is tile to the edge of the hearth as the other side of the fireplace which is even with the hearth. That would solve the off-center issue. Tiling to the ceiling would be lovely and doesn't look like a problem but you could get a fireplace mantle and put tile below that. Here's a couple of examples.

Oakley Home Builders · More Info

Allyson & Alexander · More Info

Sammamish · More Info
    Meghan Carrigan thanked Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    9 years ago
    I agree with Dar Eckart's Allyson and Alexander image. A free standing shelf over a plain fireplace looks elegant, affordable, and is highly customizable.
    Meghan Carrigan thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP