Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floreatmanon

A Call to all Gardners and Landscape Buffs

Manon Floreat
12 years ago
This is my first Spring in my new house and I am ready to get my garden on and would LOVE some ideas! I live in Seattle with a hardiness zone of 8-9. I've got two large trees in my backyard, one of which is a very tall evergreen that sheds needles like crazy and another that is an unfortunately placed mature pear tree. The result is limited sunlight for everybody else.

My vison for this garden is for it to be neat and tidy without being formal. I'd like a chill spot besides my sweet little covered porch, a vegetable patch and plants of interest for all seasons. I like a fragrant garden.

I like to garden (it relaxes me) and am not afraid of hard work, but need a pretty low maintenance arrangement as I am quite busy with work, life and all the rest. Oh, also - I'm just a regular working person who doesn't have the budget for high falutin landscape architectural designers and the like. Maybe someday . . . but not this Spring.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for sharing them!

Comments (26)

• aloha2009
    12 years ago
    The pics are great but if you could draw up a rough aerial layout, other things may come to mind.

Depending how large the actual spaces, I'd place a smaller upright evergreen between the house and the garage. I'd rather cozy up the area while hiding the utility box. You could have the evergreen(s) only 6' high or so if the house window is the only window for that particular room. I would then flood the sides adjacent to both the house and garage with rhododendrons, ferns, and flowers. When you lounge in this area, wouldn't you possibly have at least a glimpse of Mt. Rainier to the South?

I'd keep the pear tree at least for now. I realize you have a longer growing season, but I'd leave it until everything else is in place and see what it looks like.

The fence look awesome. I'd probably make this area into your vegetable garden. You can use the fence as a support for various things, while having an out-of-the-way area to compost and garden to your delight. (Depending on light requirements though the area to the right of the back door may have to be the vegetable garden)

I would remove the evergreen to bring the sunlight in (especially during those long dreary winters). You could then make a patio to the right of the backdoor, where you and your guests can look at the flowers between the house and the garage, while hopefully getting a glimpse of Mt. Rainier to your back.
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions about the rhodies and ferns. I do want to put a couple of evergreen plants in the border so it won't look so naked during Winter. Rhodies and azaeleas would be perfect and I really think ferns are interesting looking.

I was thinking about the fence area for the vegetable garden! I'm so glad you said that! I think that area gets enough sun for it, but won't know for sure until I can get read on how the sun travels through the area during Spring/Summer. What concerns me are the nettles - I hear they really add A LOT of acid (?) to the surrounding soil.

I'm a little superstitious when it comes to chopping down trees, so I think I'll get a nice "haircut" for both for the time being.

No - I do not have a Mt. Rainier view - I wish! I hope my garden can serve as my view.

I like the idea of the area to right of the porch as a lounge spot. A patio would be great. Hhhmmm . . . I sense some DIY research coming up.

Thank you very much for your comments. Below is a aerial view of the back.
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Oh - I definitely plan on taking out those variegated lime green shrub things against the garage as well as the big behemoth between the upper and lower areas on the left.

What would be some good plants/shrubs with Winter interest?
  • aloha2009
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My motto is, if you don't have a view make one with landscaping!

It sounds like I'm confirming most of the ideas you already had.

With the aerial view though, IMO it looks like the walkway is dissecting the yard up. Unless you are going to make the patio from the fence to the current pathway, I would consider removing the path from the back door to the "vegetable garden" I can't imagine a worn path happening. Do you use the gate that often? You could keep the path along the side of the house ending at the back door. You can then place a nice patio in the corner where YOUR evergreen currently is. Once the evergreen is all dug out it would be barren begging for a lovely patio. This would "widen" your yard substantially. I know you thought you'd keep both trees, and I am the first one to try and salvage a tree but with a neighbor having an evergreen right next to it, it's not like you won't have a nice tree to look at. The neighbor can have their yard space taken up, but you can still enjoy a tree. If you decide to keep your evergreen too, you could place the patio next to the South fence.

Yes I agree on shaping up the pear tree. If you place the patio back there you could possibly incorporate the pear tree into the design.

I used to live in Seattle (25 years ago) and had just started gardening. I remember some of the basic plants but nothing I can recommend. I do know that my thoughts of Seattle is if there's a crack in the sidewalk, there will be a flower growing. You can grow sooooo much!

Is there anyway to post pics of houzz? Please explain if you know how. Thanks.
  • Dawn Thomas
    12 years ago
    take a look for some hosta, they grow well here ( I live in Auburn ), they are so pretty and divide well..They would be beautiful between the house and garage.
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Aloha, it's almost as if you are in my head. I have considered a stone patio in the pear tree area. The grass there is really sad and the fact that I'm in and out of the garage for tools and such doesn't help. What do you think about stepping stones from the walkway to the garage door? Too hobbit-ville like? And yes, I use the fence gate quite a lot - it's on an alley where I keep the trash and recycle bins. When you suggested a compost bin in the upper area, I immediately thought of putting it back there. Back there it won't take up prime gardening real estate. So, thanks for that idea!

I think I'm leaning towards a stone patio from the south fence to the walk way. That way, I'd have a nice vantage point to view the plantings between the house and garage. I was thinking about a DIY fountain as the focal point at the end of that long space. In the pics, I have an aqua colored pot there now. I don't know though, it might look too formal? I would like to have a water feature.

Yes, we're lucky in Seattle in that we can grow so much. It's a double edged sword though, because dandelions, bindweed, blackberries and all their cronies love the conditions too.

To post pics on Houzz:
    Find a picture, right click on it and save it to your desktop. When you're ready to attach pics to your post, select "Attach Images" right below the text box. Double click on the picture you saved to your desktop. Voila - instant visuals!

Thank you very much for taking the time to think about my yard and share your ideas. I really appreciate it.

Oh! One more thing. Regarding the upper area: check out this photo. I really like it and the gravel is something I could do myself rather inexpensively. Thoughts?
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi, Dawn! It's nice to see another local here on Houzz. We're practically neighbors!

I love hostas. They come is so many variations - silvery blue, lime green, variegated. And they flower. They are definitely on my list of plants to get.

Speaking of plants, yesterday I was at McClendon's and picked up the fragrant winter daphne along with sarcococa (also deliciously fragrant). Of course, now I'm confused about where to put them. Ah . . .the charms of gardening!
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    may i recommend Elizabeth Lawrence and Gertrude Jekyll? Mavens of garden design and knowledge..
  • ogrose_tx
    12 years ago
    Ah, yes, Eliz. Lawrence and Gertude Jekyll! That brings to mind roses, antique roses, so romantic and easy to grow, without all the spraying! I live in Texas and the teas and China roses do great, but with some research bet you could find some that would grow in your area...
  • ogrose_tx
    12 years ago
    Check out www.gardenweb.com - they have all sorts of subjects such as roses, antique roses, Northwest gardening, etc. Very friendly, knowledgeable group!
  • meddler
    12 years ago
    Looks like you have a large window on back of house-is that your living room window? If so I would repeat the horizontal fence pattern on your garage/shed wall as sort of a lattice. It would give wonderful depth to the yard and also tie in to the new part of the finished fence. that horizontal surface would then be a wonderful backdrop for anything you wanted to plant, you could even have something climb up it.
    The view from your living room would be great. You could repeat some of the same planting then on your back fence. I would get rid of the lawn between your house and the shed and plant it with shrubs/ground cover and place a stepping stone meandering path within that area ,with perhaps a focal point in the corner of the shed-bird feeder/bird bath/large pot/statue. Looks like a lovely peaceful place to look out on. Good luck, Linda
  • ogrose_tx
    12 years ago
    I love Meddler's idea on getting rid of the lawn, a stepping stone walk, and planting with shrubs, ground cover, etc.! You can have a lot of fun planning this, and it's not so large that you couldn't handle it. I lived in Seattle, too, about 50 years ago (yikes!) Seattle U.
    You are so lucky to live where you can grow so much! Have fun!
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    smcmullen? have you read Gardening for Love ? it's my fave!
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I would love to have roses, but I don't know if I get enough sun back there. I've only been in the house since October so I don't have a really good reading on how the sun travels through the yard. Perhaps I can carve out a spot for a climbing rose! I would love honeysuckle as well.

I will definitely stop by gardenweb.com and see what they've got. Thanks for the link.

Meddler, the large window is my dining room window and I spend a lot of time there (contemplating my yard) and it is a nice look out. I can see straight back to the fence, so I'd really like to give some life to the area back there. I posted a pic above of a gravel path leading to a gate. Do you think something like that would work back there?

I'm having a lot of fun thinking about the possibilities and pittering around back there. I realize it will be a work in progress, but I do want to get the foundation or the "bones" set this Spring. Your ideas are really helping me with that. Thanks bunches and bunches of blossoming flowers!
  • aloha2009
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Looks like you're getting great ideas for plantings.

I can't attest yet to a recommendation I received from someone on Gardenweb, but this rose sounds fantastic. I ordered two for the front door. Sounds like it could work for you too. Here's a link http://affordablehomeandgardenstore.com/rosa-zephirine-drouhin

I was going to suggest stones but you said you wanted something neat and tidy. Not knowing how you used your garage and back gate made me think you might be able to remove it. When my DH reminded me of how soggy and wet it can be (how could I forget that), I think incorporating the current walkway would be best.

I'm thinking if you removed your evergreen, it might help the grass situation. With two trees next to each other, I'm thinking that it needs more sun then it gets.

I like your inspiration photo. I remember looking at a few properties that didn't have a view and I thought it would be great to make the fountain a focal point. Something about hearing the sound of water is soothing. If you have noise in the neighborhood, they can help drown that out too. I'd still think it would be good to have some evergreen in the background too.

You're going to have a beautiful yard!
  • ogrose_tx
    12 years ago
    mousemaker, no, I haven't, but just put it on my Alibris Wish List, it sounds great!
  • Deb Kapteyn
    12 years ago
    For winter interest- witch hazel is a shrub- small tree that flowers in the winter in yellow to red, euphorbia rigida, red twig dogwood, eucalyptus, heather, and ornamental grasses all grow well in seattle.
  • ogrose_tx
    12 years ago
    aloha, I don't know where you are, but here in TX my Zeffy gets absolutely HUGE, is very vigorous (but beautiful!). It takes a bit to keep it somewhat contained. Sorry for the off subject...
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    12 years ago
    I am enclosing some photos of various vertical gardens to break up the fence and make us of the fence facing south where you will get the most light. You sounds very creative so you can vary these even using recycled gutters, closet organizers such as shoe bags, burlap sacks, let your imagination soar according to your budget. Weeds shoud be be a big concern with vertical gardening; use good soil. For winter I would suggest camellia japonica, cyclamens, helebores, and ferns mixed with some winter hazel. These do not want full sun. Some bulb for spring: jonquils, tulips, lily of the valley (shade), Some everblooming dwarf citrus such as a low light kumquat near a window or sitting area for the fragrance and green throughout the year. Perhaps an espaliered apple or and fig on a wall of the house or garage with sun. Lavender and potted roses for summer...you can move the pots to wherever the sun is best. I would put strawberries and herbs in the vertical gardens along with some annual veggies and flowers which can be changed as the seasons dictate. These will save your back! Best of luck! Let us see you progress!
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you, aloha, for the encouraging words! A fountain is on the list. I'll have to locate an electrician to install an outlet. And while I'm at it, I can have him install some lighting in the rear area - it's scary going back there at night!

Deb - thanks for the plant recommendations. I've got them in my garden journal so I can check them out the next time I'm at the nursery - which will probably be this weekend. Yay!

Mint Design - how cool or those vertical gardens??? I love the idea of a potted dwarf kumquat, too. I think I'm leaning towards a patio area to right of the covered porch. The kumquat would work well there.

It's a beautiful day in Seattle and I think it will hold up for the weekend, so I will definitely make some progress this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for sharing such inspired ideas!
  • ironwing1
    12 years ago
    Since you live in the perfect area of the country for it, how about planting herbs like mint and thyme between the stepping stones you put in for pathways.... thyme works great between the stones, and there are many varieties, even a lemon thyme - with all the lovely attendant smells as your foot brushes them! Around the paths you can plant lovely fragrant mints or basils or lavenders where you want taller plants.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    cottage idea
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh my goodness that is just too sweet and I love it! Thanks for that cyn222. Since Fall is here, it would be perfect time to smother the sod for the beds you made.

I've toyed all summer with a patio of sorts in the upper area near the fence. . .
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Love the picture cyn222 sent in. You definitely need a side walk extend to connect to the other one. Gardening is my favorite hobby also. Other great plants are perenials such as daylilies. They are my favorite. They are drought resistant and grow in just about any soil and they give you blooms and smiles year after year. Some will rebloom throughout the year also. I have several that are reblooming now. They come in lots of pretty colors also and are fragrant. Liriope is another great, great perennial. It's a type of grass that used in border gardening and it has a small purple flower also. Forever roses are nice also. They flower from spring till frost. Evergreen Euonymous plant come in variegated plants (yellow and green leaves and green and white leaves) and are low growing (under 5ft). They will provide lots of nice color all year round. I also have Rosemary plants. They are great as a small fragrant evergreen plant (mine is about 3ft tall. Lovely plant also. You can't go wrong with daylilies for sure! They are the one plant that you can depend on year after year and they have never let me down.. I just bought a few plants at a time, year after year.
  • Manon Floreat
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your comments, anitajoyce. I really like the mock up that cyn222 did also. Now that I've been in my house for a year, I have a better idea of what the sun patterns are in the garden. I found out that it's quite shady. I love the heady fragrance of lillies and got a couple for the corner by the garage. It was nice treat each time I went into the garage. I hadn't heard of Liriope but it sure looks friendly!

The main challenge I have with the borders is that the Evergreen sheds needles like crazy and I'm afraid it does something to the soil(?) that can inhibit the other plants in the area.