Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muellerkm

Fireplace makeover

muellerkm
9 years ago
Hi all! I'm in the process of rearranging my family room. I plan to hang the TV over the fireplace and definitely plan to lower and paint the mantle white. Considering also painting the brick white as well, but am a little up in the air. Thoughts?
And finally, I'd like to do built-ins on each side of the fireplace, but wonder if that will look odd, as the brick step/seat thing runs all the way to the walls at the side. Anyone ever seen built-ins done on a similar set-up?

Comments (14)

• Cathy
    9 years ago
    You didn't ask, but no way hang the tv over the fireplace. Yes, paint the brick, or the walls, or both, the room is too dark.
  • Cathy
    9 years ago
    Oops, yes, built ins would look great.
  • muellerkm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Cathy, yes the room is too dark! I love the wall color, but since my couch is also a dark-ish tan, I may just need to let it go and paint a lighter color/totally different shade. Are you saying I should not hang the TV over the fireplace?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Must agree with Cathy about not hanging the TV over the fireplace. It will be too high, it will dominate the room, and it may be too close to the heat.

You can do built ins; I would probably do them tall enough so the tops of the built ins and the mantel form a single surface. It looks like you can't really lower the mantel anyway with that venting there.

I would keep the TV where it is now, but get a cabinet that is at least 1/3 longer than the TV (longer always looks better), and narrow so it doesn't jut so far into the room.
  • muellerkm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good suggestions, thank you!

FYI - the vents are for the old wood-burning fireplace and not used anymore, as it's been changed to a gas-insert. Regardless of whether I hang the TV or not, I think the mantle is an awkward height and should be lowered anyway.
  • PRO
    Doiron Professional Remodeling
    9 years ago
    That room is being eaten alive by that huge hearth. Is your fireplace a wood burning one, ventless, or direct vent? It is important to know that because I would shrink that hearth to be the accent it is meant to be. Cut it down on both sides and if you can, and re-fabricate one that is not so deep. Do the built-in cabinetry, and make them 18" deep with bookshelves on top. Incorporate the new mantle to each of the end cabinets (of similar style and finish). Consider applying drywall to the upper section (over the mantle) and setting a great piece of artwork there. Recess a light to the center of each built-in, and set an eye-ball to the center of the fireplace, These large tv's are usually best right on the wall, and that side wall would still be a nice placement for it. You have a long, narrow space, and although I love your current tv cabinet, it might just be too boxy for the room.
  • muellerkm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Stupid question, but which part is the hearth? Other than the mantle, the rest is brick, so I'm not sure how I'd cut it down.

Dorian, yes it is a long narrow room and I've had the hardest time with it's layout. Here's a photo take of the other detection. Ignore the mess of toys in the background. On the left is the entrance to the room and the right is the exterior exit to our backyard. Plus there's the fireplace as well as the picture window, so a lot to work around as far as furniture placement. Admittedly, the sectional is probably too large for the space, but I really love it and honestly don't know how id lay the room out if I were able I start from scratch anyway.

Love all the suggestions though - thank you!!!
  • muellerkm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love the visual - thank you groveraxle!!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The hearth is the brick step-like thing going all away across below the firebox. You could cut it down on the ends and carry your cabinets all the way to the floor.

I think your room layout is just about perfect. Your sectional addresses the fireplace and the TV, and the kids' play area is in a great spot--out of the way, but close enough to keep an eye on them.

A longer narrower TV console is all you need for the room. You actually could mount the TV on the wall above a long narrow console, get one of those RF systems so the whole thing is wireless and hide your accessories somewhere else, maybe in one of the new built-ins. That would give you a nice clean look.
    muellerkm thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Doiron Professional Remodeling
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The hearth is the big brick thing in the front of the fireplace. It was originally designed to catch flying embers from the fireplace, when wood would spit them out. It is definitely necessary if it is a wood fireplace, however not the whole width of the room. Now, I would try to peek around all sides of it, and see if it was done that way to hide something, like HVAC or something. If it is just dead space, that means there is framing under there, and brick was wrapped around it. Just something to think about removing. I do like the picture that groveraxle submitted. However, knowing that you have children and must love storage space, perhaps the base cabinets to each side with upper shelving might be more purposeful. At this point in your life (with the kiddos growing up), build in anything that helps in organization and remove the odd pieces. The couch is still very useful, and i can see why you like it.
    muellerkm thanked Doiron Professional Remodeling
  • muellerkm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Got it! I'd love to be able to cut the hearth down, and never realized it might be a possibility! I will research that option for sure!!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Ooh, you don't need the vents. Fabulous. Let's lower that mantel and install some ART! This is a piece I happened to have laying around. It's by Robert Motherwell.
    muellerkm thanked groveraxle
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    I love your hearth. I like the idea of built in cabinets next to it. If you just take down the mantle it could look really nice. I would not paint the stone,
    muellerkm thanked marywashington