Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_stutzman

Gardeners SOS I need your help!!

Terri Stutzman
9 years ago
3 years ago we enlarged our drive's turn around and removed a fence so we could hire a snowplow. I look at this blah bed several times a day, though its not visible from the road & it makes me crazy. The whole bed gets morning shade, the right side and most of the front get afternoon full sun. My symmetric preferences aren't working out. I also planted $200 of perennials yesterday and then realized some of my selections like foxglove are repeats that died last year. There's a steep hill behind it with ugly woods full of downed trees, swamp maple, invasive bittersweet and poison ivy. We have a herd of 7 deer who won't leave my yard alone. We are zone 5 on Boston's south shore and have some mild winters, some like last year that are -20 F with feet of snow. We use a lot of salt on the drive because its steep and our snowbank is on this bed. I wanted forsythia in the back but my husband got sick of trimming old ones. The right side grows taller than the left because of sun exposure. WE NEED COLOR and I would like height in the back where it is shady. What’s in there now that survived two winters is Zebra Grass, Dahlia, Daylilies, moonbeam thread leaf Coreopsis, (but bigger on Right than left b/c of sun), & Daffodils. Coneflower died, I just put in new impatiens, begonia, white and pink bleeding hearts, carpet thyme, newly transplanted hosta. The new foxglove that isn’t going to like the snow and salt. I need ideas at the run-off points on the right and left corners where mulch ends up down the hill. Design suggestions desired!!!!!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery