0
laurenahorn

what are the stairs made out of?

laurenahorn
are the uprights painted metal or wood? what type of wood is on the floor?
LOVE this so please help
Staircase · More Info

Jeff King & Company
    Hi - good questions. The uprights are painted steel as are the stringers. A friend recently referred to them as tuning forks - which I though was pretty accurate. The treads are three inch thick solid sawn oak. The rail cap is stained oak as is the flooring.
  • laurenahorn
    Thanks for that - we just called them tuning forks ourselves today! It is a truly delightful piece of design. I just wish I still lived in the states so you could make us one fot our new house. Northern Ireland isn't quite ready for this!
  • naoumoff
    Beautiful Stairs! I am in Central Florida and am building a house with similar stairs. I like the metal stringers, but not sure what kind of company to contact about building those for me. The local stair builders I have spoken with seem reluctant to incorporate steel stringers so I guess they are not familiar with them. They also seem reluctant to use solid wood treads and want to fabricate them by face gluing smaller pieces of wood to get to the 3" thickness. Not sure how I feel about all those seams, except that we do plan to stain the white oak so maybe the seams will not show. Any tips for me?
    Jeff King & Company
    Hi - contact a steel fabrication company about the stairs. The stringers are made out of 3/4" plate steel cut for the rise and run. The railings are welded to the stringers. Solid wood stairs are more expensive so you will save money doing a laminated stair. It will still look good with laminated stairs if done well!
  • laurenahorn
    Still working on finding someone in rural northern ireland to at least get the look of your fabulous staircase. Have had to compromise with the addition of newel posts for strength and recreate the tuning forks in wood. Building Regulations over here don't allow a gap bigger than 100mm anywhere which is causing more issues. Was the shallow handrail a design decision?The whole staircase proportion seem just perfect to me but I keep being told a deeper handrail with a thumb groove is 'safer'.
    Walk On Wood
    We usually clad a plywood structure with solid material mitred together, its a great look!