Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yatoe

Chair don't quite match the room, what can I do?

yatoe
9 years ago
Hi, I bought this half dome chair on a whim, but the more I look at it, the more I think it doesn't match our study.

Moving it to another room won't solve the problem as all the rooms in our house are the same style & feel.

I'm thinking perhaps a cushion like "Orla Kiely multi stem" might give the chair more of an earthy feel? Or perhaps a knitted pouf?

Also thinking if getting a side table but not sure if I should go with fiberglass (to match the chair) or wood (to match the blinds)?

I'm just quite lost here, any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

Comments (24)

• karelina
    9 years ago
    We all make mistakes. Bite the bullet and donate it or give it to a college student or put a pillow in it for a pet bed and put it in the garage. Every time you look at it, you’ll wonder, no matter what you do.
  • yatoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, maybe I haven't made myself clear... I absolutely love the chair and really want to make it work~ I think it's gorgeous!
  • Valerie Hunt
    9 years ago
    Chair is a great conversation piece. What other pieces are in your room? Get an accent color, add it to the chair, such as a pillow, and continue color around the room
  • User
    9 years ago
    It doesn't look good for posture= sore back over time.
  • patatas
    9 years ago
    The chair is fantastic! The first thing that occurred to me was, if you get an area rug that either has a contemporary design, I'm thinking swirls, or possibly just a flocati, that would help; then some small table to put your book and coffee-mug on; and for some reason what occurs to me is one of those made out of a section of tree trunk, with just the top polished, maybe because it would pick up the wood tones of the blinds. Then, possibly a wall-mount reading light, maybe one with a white dome-shaped hood?
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    9 years ago
    It is difficult to give specific advice because we cannot see how or why this chair does not "fit". In the photo, it looks splendid. And, if the back does go out (mine did moving stuff in my home studio-yet-to-be) then a Le Corbusier chaise could be the perfect complement!

If the problem is that the rest of your furnishings are traditional, pull back to look at your space as a set of inter-related shapes. The chair resonates with circles—other piece may resonate with squares—rug that integrates both shapes, with attention to colours, can be a bridge. If it is the only piece of contemporary design in an otherwise traditional space, consider introducing other pieces—floor lamp, art, objects in glass on shelves, etc. that can create the bridge, balancing the room.

Pieces that you love belong in your space, but it is design that can take a mis-matched environment and turn it into an eclectic expression of your whole self. For me, that's inspired living—enjoy!
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Just use your colours, work with what you have and it will look great....timber, black and white...with a splash of colour like orange or aqua or lime green....all look cool..you could do this with scatter cushions..it .will have the wow factor....Robyn Interior Designer
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Chair is great and you could have a very fun room. The first photo may help with how to bring the room together and adding other items will do the trick. I think these accents are great and would work with your blind. As for a side table, I think a low round black, or white or glass would work well. To tie in with this look, you may want to adjust your bookcase's content to have a more modern feel (2nd pic).
    My House · More Info
    CDA Interior Design · More Info
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    The reason the chair doesn't look right to me is because you need something on that wall behind it next to the blind. Since your chair is black and white, I would go with a large portrait orientation black and white photo of something you really love in a black frame with white matting.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    how about a low wood side table (this measures less than a foot high)to go along with the black and white photo suggested by hayleydaniels
    Turn Low Side Table · More Info
  • yatoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the awesome advice! :) We have just moved into this new home (with our new baby too!) a few months back so we're still slowing acquiring furnitures. I've made mistakes in the past and gotten some furnitures that I really came to regret, so this time I'm determined to only get pieces that I absolutely love!

At the moment we just have the two bookcases against the back wall and the half dome chair in the opposite corner, as per original photo. I'm planning to put in a glossy white desk (photo 1) to compliment the bookcase. I think this should resonate well with the chair?

Initially I thought I'd just get a fiberglass side table like this one (photo 2), to go with the chair. But I'm loving the idea of a funky wooden side table to match the blinds, so I've found these following tables which I really like (photo 3 & 4). What do you all think of these tables?
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I really like the wooden tables.
    The reverse pyramid is interesting. Sculptural.
  • yatoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will definitely take the accent color idea on board. I think orange should work nicely to set off the black & white and warm the room up a bit. So I'm thinking of using a chevron cushion and a pouf (really need something to rest the legs while reading).. Do you think these will go ok with the room/chair?

In terms of rugs, I love the idea of it but I think it will be slightly awkward after I put in that white desk (which will be in the middle of the room, and won't leave much room underfoot for the rug). I'm just afraid that the rug will kind of get stuck between the chair and the desk and will lose its effect of highlighting the chair?

I'm definitely keen to get some art work, but I'll probably leave that until I have all the furnitures.

Again thank you all so much for all the inputs! I feel like I'm on the right track of making a wonderful study that will do the chair some justice. :)
  • dreamkatcher designs
    9 years ago
    definitely the square sculptural table! will mix so great with the blinds and I think if you brought in another white fiberglass piece it would be overkill. so I definitely think the wood side table would be a great addition!
  • yatoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Anne Dee,

I do too! However I'm still a bit concerned because its a very angular piece, so I'm still tossing between it or something round...
  • yatoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi,

It had just occurred to me that perhaps I could put an orange shaggy rug underneath the white desk, and a matching cushion on the chair. Along with the wooden side table. That should tie things off quite nicely?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Your desk will go perfectly with this chair. Get some doors for your Expedit and clean up the open shelves. A black and white rug, modern globe, and a plant, and this room is gonna be great!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Be careful with orange and black. I'd stick to the reddish wood tones.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Black cowhide from Ikea:
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    we are hearing some fair comments from grover.
    they are worth consideration.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    9 years ago
    Love the orange pops of color! I like how groveraxle added wooden doors to part of your bookcase. It takes the piece I found but is better, because you don't have to add a whole new piece, just adjust what you have! Also, I like the chevron pouf. I'd go rectangular, to be juxtaposed by the round chair. Also, I love the black cowhide, which is rustic and will REALLY be smashing in the room next to your white desk. I would consider finding a wonderful chair in bright orange, to match your chevron pouf. Then, toss in a couple of bright orange knick knacks in the bookcases to really bring out the orange and have your eye dance around the room. But not too much, as orange is really bold.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    9 years ago
    and a bit more eye candy. consider placing a bit of orange at the desk area! It should nicely tie in the brown, white, black and orange all together. :)
  • dreamkatcher designs
    9 years ago
    LOVE the wooden doors added to the bookshelf! adds texture and ties it all in!