Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Help Needed!! HE Washing machines - Top loader or Front loader??

cmcole01
9 years ago
I am specifically looking for opinions or recommendations about newer versions of HE top or front loaders.

I know there are many discussions asking for opinions about top or front loading washing machines. And I've read them, which has me more confused. Many of the comments I've read are commenting on older models or regular top loaders. I really need input about the newer HE machines - I have concerns about their cleaning ability and would love specific recommendations. Help???

Comments (21)

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I know many of u have opinions! Please share re: High Efficiency (HE) washers! We need to make a decision soon & I don't know which way to go - top or front loader!
  • Mel Romans
    9 years ago
    I currently made the switch from top loader to he front loader.
    Why?
    So I could counter space on top!!
    Love it!
    It's an LG set and work very well!
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- We have LG front load set now and they are much better than my previous top load set .
  • crowley48
    9 years ago
    I've read very good reviews about the LG machines.
    I finally decided on the top load LG for our new home (don't have it yet since house won't be finished for a couple more weeks).
    I wanted a large capacity machine this time around and almost bought the front loader but my laundry room is not big and I was concerned about the depth needed when the door is open. Plus, my laundry room sink is to the left of the washer and the front loader doors open right to left.

So I decided on the top load even tho it meant we had to change our upper cabinets from 42" to 36" (so I can open the washer lid all the way! Lol)

Whatever type you get, top or front load, if it's going to be in an inside laundry room, consider the dimensions of your space and the dimensions of the washer, plus the size of your doorway. :).
    If the unit is going in a basement or a large room maybe dimensions wouldn't matter so much but for us it really did.

Far as cleaning, most newer machines are great. I'm really happy with my current top load Fisher & Paykel-- love it! The only reason I'm not taking it is that it's about 11 years old--time for a new one. We decided on the LG because I wanted the largest capacity this time around (5.0 cubic) and the F & P is a bit smaller. Both are very energy efficient!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I've had Whirlpool Duets for eight years and have had no problems. The water and gas bills went down and have stayed down. The clothes get clean. I think the more bells and whistles you get the more likely you'll have problems. Look at brand reliability.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much. If possible would u mind providing the models of the machines u have (whether u love or hate)? We are trying to narrow down options and it would be very helpful. I really appreciate all insights - this shouldn't be so hard but it's so much money, I want to choose correctly.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Adivra - are your Duets Topload or Front load?
  • Cathy
    9 years ago
    Bought kenmore front loader and dryer in 2000. Washer needed major repair this month so got new kenmore front loader and dryer. Mine are stacked, would not have it any other way.
  • crowley48
    9 years ago
    Just talked to my son in S.C. Who just bought a Samsung front loader set and he loves it. Says it's very quiet and cleans well so far. The only thing he regrets is not getting the bases but he can add them later. Also, his laundry is on the second floor so a quiet machine was a must for him. They do take up a lot of space when the doors are open but that's common with front loaders. Sorry, I don't have the model numbers on these.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    We have had the Whirlpool Duet front loaders since 2010 and never had a problem.
    We have them on bases which I am a little torn about.

I like having the machines up higher so I don't have to bend down to load and unload. The only problem is with the washing machine. Because it is top heavy it tends to vibrate and move a bit when on the spin cycle. My solution to this was to fill empty laundry detergent bottles with water, (I think I have 4 of them in there now) so the bottom has some weight.

Coats, rugs and awkward items are so much easier to wash in front loaders, so I would buy them again.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    cmcole: My Whirlpool Duets are front loaders and I have pretty much followed manufacturer instructions re leaving door open and running a bleach cleaner regularly. Really, I couldn't be happier. Now, how much longer they'll last is the question. I don't think any appliance lasts as long as they did a generation ago. One additional comment is that they are not as quiet as they were when new, apparenty this is a common complaint but not significant to me.
  • Jolene
    9 years ago
    I love my Electrolux front loaders. They had the smallest footprint with largest capacity at the time (5 plus years ago) because they put the dryer vent in such a way that it doesn't take up extra space. My 1988 laundry room is tight on space and has to doors as it is attached to the garage. Also the doors were switchable which was important because my dryer needed to be on the left. At the time it was the only company that had that feature. I have never had the stinky smell in mine and feel they clean very well actually I think even better than my old units. Dryer takes a little longer than my old unit, which I attribute to government requirements. I tend to only dry for a few min and hang so it isn't a issue for me.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments! This decision really shouldn't be so difficult :-)
  • Mel Romans
    9 years ago
    Keep us updated!
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So we finally made a decision and bought an LG HE top Loader washer and matching dryer. Fingers crossed!! Hope we are one of those that Love and not hate :-). Thanks all for your input.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    Hey if anyone is willing I desperately need a new washer in dryer ill take donations!
  • vizkid88
    9 years ago
    I have a HE washer for several years and love it. Its an ASKO.
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have a Kenmore top-loader HE washer - hate it!!!! The lid locks - ugh, who thought this was a great idea? Is it to protect us from sticking our hands in the washer? The clothes don't get clean. The thing spins so hard, it wears out my clothes. It takes 50 minutes to run a load. Sometimes I have to run a load twice to get the soap out or to get the clothes clean. There is no option to run a "quick" load, even for smaller loads of clothes. I wish I could have my old washer back...... I wish the government would stay out of our business and let us decide for ourselves how we want to "save energy". This is very similar to the low volume toilets ----- which have to be flushed multiple times!!!!! Sorry, I realize this is no help. I just had to vent.
  • flannel flower
    9 years ago
    We have Bosch front loader. Much better water efficiency. Cycles are longer but this is our second front loader and we wouldn't go back to top loaders as front loaders are so much more gentle on the clothes as well as the water saving.
  • aftn
    9 years ago
    Currently remodeling laundry room and CHANGE of plans for counter over front loader: thinking when the Samsung front loader model quits (and sooner the better) we'll switch to the top loader-even if it means giving up counter top over washer and valuable folding space. That front loader does not clean clothes (read: STINK); white towels have yellow tinge. Moreover, I like to have control over my soaking time for delicates--and would not leave that up to the gov't's descretion. "Doctornancy": right on, right on, right on.
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County