kellyvinpa

Transition from tile to wood or tile to "wood look tile" - how?

MissK
June 23, 2014
Currently tile is abutting carpet. Want to replace carpet with a ceramic tile - a wood look tile.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    What are the two areas in transition?
    MissK thanked Dytecture
  • MissK
    Ceramic tile (existing) to area which is now carpeted but want to replace with diff tile
  • PRO
    Tileworks LLC
    I usually transition with a Schluter strip. This is a metal strip which makes a great divider for the two areas.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    If you are going to transition from real wood to ceramic tile it is worth creating a bigger band between the two, ie deeper strip of another element such as . Otherwise the ceramic tile will look fake next to the real wood. I would suggest you lay your ceramic tile sample next to the real wood. Unless it matches it exactly you a black band, for example, of thin tile between the two might help.
  • PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.

Hey kellyvinpa,

If there are no height differences, you don't need any transition. But if there is a height difference, a Schluter strip would offer a nice transition.

See the link - http://www.schluter.com/1_4_reno_tk.aspx

Good luck!

• PRO
    KitchenVisions

We try to not use a wood look tile against a true wood floor, unless the colors are very different. A Schluter strip is my preference.

• PRO
    Ron Keddy Tile Dealer

Wood look tile really looks good. I am sharing some images of wood tile with you so that you get an idea of what would be the best for your house:

www.centura.ca

• PRO
    Sognare Tile, Stone & Sinks Co.

Wood Look Tiles are definitely in, they give you the look of wood minus the maintenance. Available in ceramic or porcelain, plank of various sizes, and beautiful colors. Check out Sognaretile.com - we have a huge collection of Wood Look Tiles.

• PRO
    The QM Team

correct me if I'm wrong but you are going from ceramic tile to a ceramic tile that looks like wood. In this case you won't need a transition piece as long as both tiles have the same height. This of course is just technical in reality you have to see both pieces and think of the design aspect. Would a transition piece make sense, what style does your house already posses? I'll give you an example. In Seattle WA there are lots of craftsman homes. Lots of woodwork and beautiful marble accents with honeycomb mosaics and white subways. In this type of home we have a kitchen floor with a dark oversize tile transitioning to a wood like tile on a door. Since the door frame is white we install a 6"x36" piece of Quartz that looks close to the marble accents around the house. So what's your project and what does your house looks like?

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).