Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlily714

Need Help with Backyard!!! To much concrete and needs privacy!!

Lily G
9 years ago
Hello! We love the size of our backyard, but it's so large we don't know where to start with the landscaping. We would like the pool to have a softer look than just concrete. We're thinking of removing the large tree that's in the grass area due to the mess it makes during the fall when all the leaves end up in the pool. Also the roots from the tree are lifting the walkway to the shed. We love the shade that the tree provides but that's it. As for privacy we are surrounded by neighbors that separates us with a wall of concrete blocks so we don't have much privacy. We love to entertain but don't know where? We always entertain in the attach patio yet it seems so small sometimes. We have all this great space but we need help to start. We're located in SoCal. Would love to hear ideas. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• karemore55
    9 years ago
    Bump.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    How about stamped, stained or decorative concrete to give the patio and the pool deck dimension and color? I agree with Lampert Dias -- don't be too quick to get rid of the tree. I would look into an electric pool cover and check if there are other ways to deal with the root issues first.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 years ago
    Since we don't know your budget, I'm just going to throw some ideas out.
    If removing all that concrete would be too expensive I'd suggest you take Christi's advice and stain it.
    You need MORE green, not less, so leave the tree.
    If at all possible and that shouldn't be overly expensive have some raised beds build for all kinds of plants. You can have them build to create different 'garden rooms' making the whole backyard a bit cosy and giving you more privacy.
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    Karenmore55 - what does "bump" mean?
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 years ago
    bumping a thread, that has been overlooked, to the top of the page.
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    I assume you have very small children. Your very first priority should be in making the pool area safe. This makes me crazy, considering the number of pool accidents that happen involving young children. Either install a fence or an electronic pool cover. The cover would help with the leaves falling in the pool.
    THEN... look into a long-term plan for your yard. Have a landscape architect draw up plans that could be implemented gradually over several years. For now, I'd start with some small "vignettes" on the cement- groupings of potted plants with furniture. You could make an outdoor living room in a metal gazebo. In another area, put a table and chairs with a market umbrella. Three or four chaise lounges lined up next to the pool would be decorative and useful. Kmart has some nice, reasonably priced furniture in the Jacalyn Smith collection.
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago
    I think what is making the space less usable is that there is no definition of areas. There needs to be a pool area and an entertaining area and you can remove the path and put in pavers , flagstone, or gravel. If the roots are under 4" in diameter you can cut them so they don't lift the path. I'm located in SoCal and I design landscapes for clients so if you are interested in talking about your property why don't you give me a call.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I was also going to suggest a concrete stain. My hubby and I did our driveway (DIY, but if you do get a great sprayer!). It is a dramatic difference and greatly reduces the glare!

Be slow to remove a tree. They don't grow large over night.

Quickest thing for lots of privacy from neighbors is bamboo planted in long containers placed along your fencing.
    Houzz-10.jpg · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    You can also gain privacy and soften the feel of the area by hanging inexpensive sheers all around the overhang on the patio (Bed and Bath, World Market).
    Home in Provence · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    You could get an estimate (estimates are free!) on having some of the concrete around the pool area cut away. Then you could add some planted areas. Or if that isn't an option, then large planters overflowing with flowers or drought tolerant grasses.
    Traditional Pool · More Info

Renovation · More Info
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    The use of the Dwarf Pygmy Date Palm along the fence line would create privacy. This is an easy care palm tree often used by pools -- even in pools! A row of them would also give your backyard a lush, tropical look.

Depending on your budget and city ordinances, a small pool house would be another way of creating privacy that also adds ambiance to the pool area and value to the home. Plants, concrete work, outdoor furnishings, umbrellas, drapes (as pcmom1 suggested) and defining the space (as Red Berm suggested) and you will have a fabulous patio and pool area.

If you'd like ideas on outdoor furnishings, take a look at our website or browse our Houzz.

http://www.thosbaker.com/2014-summer-sale.html

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    It doesn't take much of a structure to support shade cloth (buy in rolls from Home Depot). I can see something like this along the fence where the barbeque is. If you have it down the sides also: total privacy.

This stuff never wears out, lets the breeze thru, and rain, but will lower your temp around twenty degrees.
    Hartford · More Info
  • Lily G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I am definitely going to look into staining the concrete and I'm considering keeping the tree we do love the shade that it gives us. The pool safety is our priority...so we're going to tackle that first. Thanks again everyone!
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Yes, can't have too many layers of safety: fencing, pool alarm when water surface is disturbed, door locks. and....

tell all babysitters the pool is off limits. Once a friend had a babysitter that wanted to go swimming. So, she stacked up lots of things so she and the kids could get over the fence and into the pool.

Brainless!
  • PRO
    Crider Landscaping
    9 years ago
    An option would also be to cover the patio area with a veneer of either natural stone or pavers, since the existing concrete should be level it will be easy to glue or mortar a veneer over the top. We have done this with walkways, poured concrete, and with porches. Makes for a nice update.
  • PRO
    Amish Country Gazebos
    9 years ago
    Perhaps a poolside gazebo, pavilion, or pergola?
  • PRO
    Grown Solutions
    9 years ago
    These look great when hung from a patio.
  • Connie Cronin
    8 years ago
    Planters around the pool would add color and texture. Seating areas would be a great touch. Also, if you could pull the existing shed closer to the pool I would turn it into a pub shed. You now have focal point and a new entertainment area.
  • mzfxit
    7 years ago

Were it not for all that concrete you would be pulling weeds or constantly trying to maintain the area; which is what I am doing.....would love to have more concrete around my pool area !

• schmooopie
    7 years ago

I want to fill in my pool but can't find much information as to the pros and cons...has anyone done this? (I live In L.A.)

• PRO
    Red Berm
    7 years ago

@schmooopie Feel free to give me a call depending on what area in LA you are in I can refer you to a contractor..I'm a designer so design projects but I know contractors around LA that do those projects.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus