Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skiingisfun

How to layout furniture in my small apartment living room?

skiingisfun
9 years ago
I have a small apartment. My living room is 13.5 feet long by 10 feet wide. I've attached a couple of photographs.

1. How should I lay out my furniture?

I currently have a couch (Florence Knoll replica), a desk (Hokku Stilt), a SAYL chair, a cowhide trunk I'm using for a TV stand (but I'm getting a real TV stand soon), a coffee table, and a black circular end table.

2. What else should I add to this room to make it look great?

I want it to look modern/contemporary.

Images of what I have right now are attached.

Comments (22)

• skiingisfun
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, I'll try those ideas.

map - I don't understand, what do you mean by map?
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Flair Lighting -- although it does look like a map, I believe that's the concrete wall.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think flair lighting means the concrete wall.

Think you have a good arrangement. Really nice furniture. If you're getting a media console look for something that's on legs or, if possible, can hang on the wall. Would be cool when you could do something with light under it.
    Apartment at Suffolk Road - Singapore · More Info

Apartment Interior Fitout by studioJLA · More Info
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Could you take a picture of the other end of the room (kitchen?). Have you chosen your t.v. stand? I'd recommend one with hidden storage underneath. If you do keep the desk, the set up you have now is probably the best. What are you doing with the trunk once it's replaced by the stand?
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Ikea has some great options for modern media cabinets.
  • Najeebah
    9 years ago
    I think the furniture arrangement is quite fine. The table and trunk are awesome!
    Put a pic/painting above the couch and a coloured rug in front of it, and blinds at the window.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    no i mean frame the map, and move the couch on an angle where the floor lamp is. and move the desk.
  • Najeebah
    9 years ago
    skiingisfun - is it a map or just a wall???
    If its a wall, you can wallpaper/paint it.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    oh goodness, its concrete! sorry! i would still run a piece of molding between the two spaces, definition, and define the spaces. along the edge of the concrete wall and the counter top ending.
  • Don Camacho
    9 years ago
    That's already pretty good. Love that couch by the way. Add an accent rug, some artwork... I'd be happy.
  • skiingisfun
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I experimented around and attached is what I have now.

What color rug should I get? I rarely see rugs on carpet. Does anyone have some good examples?

What else should I add or change to make it look great? Any ideas for art, accents, etc? Sizing, placement?

I've made some changes:
    - added a TV stand
    - added a book/display case
    - shortened the arch lamp
    - added two accent pillows
    - removed ugly lamp off couch side table, put small wood carving on it instead
    - added counter height table to kitchen (I need bar stools)

Unfortunately I already had a TV stand coming, but I like the idea of a floating stand mounted to the wall so much I might swap out mine.

Some things I need to take care of:

The cables and surge protector behind my desk are awful. How can I hide these?

Should I put another lamp to the left of my TV stand, that is the same type as the one to the right of it?

I'm thinking of moving the trunk to the bedroom since it doesn't really look great in the living room. What should I put in its place?

Should I put something between the desk and book case, like a vase or something?

Do I need window treatments? The right side of the window is behind the book/display case. What would look good?
  • skiingisfun
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I LOVE this:
    Uptown High Rise · More Info

He has a wood floor in his living room though... mine is carpet.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't get a rug. You don't need it and it will break up the floor, making it look smaller.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    If you move the trunk to the bedroom (good idea) just leave that space empty Or, switch the floor lamp to this side of the TV. Effectively you now have three floor lamps on one side of the room. And I'd put the bookcase flat against the wall, not at an angle. TV stand looks good. I preferred the arch lamp as it was before.
  • skiingisfun
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great point about the floor lamps.

I'll try adjusting the book case too.

I can't put the arch lamp how it was before because it hangs too low... I'll bang it with my head.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    So sorry if I missed this, but can the desk sit right in front of the large part of the window? Think how fun it would be to sit there and work AND look out the window easily. The wall on the other side of the window also looks like it might fit the shelf better as more wall space between the window and the wall to the left.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    If you don't need them, skip the window coverings. You have a fabulous view; don't mess with it.

I would try the desk flat against the window, and put the shelves flat against the wall next to the media cabinet. (Send the cowhide trunk to the bedroom.)

Finally, I would hang the largest Banksy canvas I could find over the sofa.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I hunk you should add a couple of stools that could be used with the counter/bar in the kitchen.
  • Mak Maras
    9 years ago
    I think you should buy a white sofa instead of a black one. If you want modern, you should also buy a white lacquer cofee.
  • Mak Maras
    9 years ago
    I meant coffee table but i wrote coffee. Sorry!
  • Mak Maras
    9 years ago
    And buy a white or black rug