Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nskoggie

Bedroom furniture: Mix OR match?

nskoggie
9 years ago
Getting ready to buy new bedroom furniture. It would be easier to just buy a suite but is that the way to go? I like the cottage style. If any pieces are to match, which ones?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    DRTC Studio
    9 years ago
    Definitely mix. You don't want it to look like you did one stop shopping and your room is the set of a catalog. The photos posted above are excellent.
    nskoggie thanked DRTC Studio
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Hello nskoggie,

Completely agree with bluenan! No matchy, matchy! In fact, we think that the very definition of cottage is a collection of unmatched items. Provides lots of texture. Another few examples with coordinating cottage, but not en suite, bedroom furniture:

Turn of the Century Cottage · More Info

Vintage Cottage Bedroom · More Info

Ranch Style by the Lake · More Info

Best of luck and please let us know if we can be of additional assistance,
    Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
    Cabell Design Studio
    nskoggie thanked User
  • nskoggie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to you all! That's what I was guessing I'd hear. I even had at least one of your pictures in my bedroom ideabook. I will just have to put a little more effort into my selections. I'm thinking I might just replace the current night stands with some cute painted pieces to spruce things up until I find the exact pieces I want. Thanks again for the input!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Don't over do. I would go white if going a cottage look or black. You can mix it up. Night stands should oversize and fill wall space on either side. Use big base lamps on each.get a long dresser, but not the mirror. Use art instead. Headboard in reclaimed wood. You could make it, by using barn Wood and 6" planks. They can vary in height add across back of bed. Just nail to wall. Room should look interesting, not matchy. Pick a accent color use in bedding and accessories around room.
    nskoggie thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Cabell design show great ex sample of your look. Note bedding, and accessories. Roman shades on windows always a winner.
    nskoggie thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • nskoggie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nancy: I was thinking cream painted nightstands. I'd be mixing with traditional cherry furniture (for now) with navy and cream bedding, rug and curtains. A couple of burgundy accents thrown in. Right now I have black wrought iron lamps with off-white shades. Also thinking of painting walls a very pale blue. I love the second picture Cabell posted...the one with the four poster bed. Love to mix up patterns. Thanks for taking the time to comment!