Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michellemack

Where to place kitchen table - or get a different shape table?

michellemack
9 years ago
Hi - wondering if there is any better place I could put my kitchen table in this layout? Or get a different shape - rectangle or square? The cabinet against the wall under the clock with the microwave I am planning to paint with a blue chalk paint. So we need maneuvering space around the table and the windows open with a crank at the bottom so we need to be able to get at those as well.
Thanks for any advice!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    The current location seems to be the best unless you are willing to give up the storage where the microwave and toaster are.
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    If you were able to give up the cabinet with the microwave I would recommend getting a rectangular table and center it under your light fixture. Is there another wall you can put this cabinet on? Or maybe change out the microwave for one that fits over your range. Having the table not centered with the light is not visually appealing and does not give you the proper lighting needed for your table.
  • michellemack
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The cabinet with the microwave is new so we don't want to give that up. Guess I should have thought about that when installing the new cabinet... Wonder how hard it would be to have the light moved over? Is that even an option?
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    What is on the wall opposite the sink?
  • michellemack
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hallway to the bathroom and bedrooms
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Yes the light fixture can probably be moved. Can you post a picture of the room standing in front of the sink looking toward the opposite wall? And one from in front of the new cabinets? You mentioned they were 'installed', does that mean they're stationary?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Looks like you may have a strip light installed in the kitchen. I think this would be the time to put cans in both areas, if you're thinking of moving the dining fixture.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    HI -- Looks like your very limited for storage and counter space . I am thinking that's why you got the extra cabinets . If those were not there then you could have a bench with the small table and chairs then would not be thinking about moving the light fixture which is going to make a mess with the ceiling and it's going to cost . I see that is a ceiling fan also . Do you need it .... I can see you have it running . What is to the left of the fridge ?? Is there anywhere the extra cabinets could move to or find a different storage solution ?? Other wise your pretty much stuck with what you have now .
  • Michelle McCaughtry
    9 years ago
    You are correct - we originally had the microwave on the counter top and aren't able to install an over the range model. Which left me about 1 foot of working space...lol. So we bought the other cabinet and put a piece of matching countertop on it to hold the microwave and other oven thing my husband had to have. I've attached two more pics of other angles of the kitchen but there really wasn't anywhere else to put the new storage space. As far as the ceiling fan - we do not have air conditioning and they have kept the house fairly cool so far over the MN summer. We just bought this house last March so are making updates as we can. The kitchen originally had white and blue diamond linoleum and the counters were white grouted tiles (grout was at that point a lovely black tint...shudder) So we've made tons of progress. Thanks everyone for the various ideas, but I guess I'm stuck with the table placement. We aren't planning on selling any time soon (unless we win the lottery - then the dream house on lake front here we come)...
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Moving a light fixture is not that big a deal, but I would think through all your options before you do it. The cabinets on that wall were a good solution to gain extra storage space. I don't think I'd want a table right in front of the door anyway.

Look at Ikea for dining sets. They have some inexpensive sets that are smaller and have less visual weight. Here is one where the seats push all the way under:
    Fusion Table and 4 Chairs, Brown-Black, Chrome · More Info

They also have some with drop leaves, and some with acrylic chairs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/dining/19145/
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Michelle - Would it be too much trouble to draw out a floor plan of the house and measurements of the rooms , just so I can have a look at the layout . Was this house built in the 50's maybe early 60's ? Thanks
  • Michelle McCaughtry
    9 years ago
    Built in 1975. I will look for the closing docs from the home purchase and take a picture of the floor plan.
    groveraxel - thanks for the tip on ikea - I'll check out their website. Funny thing is before we moved from our house in the Twin Cities MN we had a counter height square table - dark brown with black vinyl seat chairs that worked so perfectly in that house. Obviously won't work in this house....But we moved to be closer to our granddaughter so it is all worth it!
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    It does sound like you have limited options with the layout. I was thumbing through Grover's idea tables and maybe you could find a rectangular one that might give you more space. I'm not saying that this one is ideal, but it's only 29.5 inches wide, which is probably less than your current round one. And some smaller chairs would help too. Its just to give you an idea about size.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19898069/
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I would suggest buying a smaller one and moving it to where the white board is
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Have a look at this drop leaf table. Looks easily convertible and folds up to almost nothing:
    Round Top Drop Leaf Table in Light Oak Finish · More Info
  • michellemack
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Looks great! Even with only one side up it would fit well. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus