Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jruchin

Need Help Designing and mapping out placement for our 1st baby!

Jennifer Ruchin
9 years ago
We are expecting our first little girl this August. We have a small room and have furniture (cradle, used glider, changing table, Ikea storage) but not sure where to put them or where to put wall decor. We would like to add a Fabric Alaphabet (self made) wall decal (One tree, or 4 Birch trees) and mobiles, other wall decals (shown in pic) and a new chandelier. I love French designs but right now it looks awkward and not put together at all. Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments (21)

• Jennifer Ruchin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Adding some more pictures…thank you
  • Wendy Klein
    9 years ago
    Hi jruchin, Yes congratulations! The Room looks fantastic, I love the carpet, I would probably add a couple of colorful pictures on the white wall. (Framing postcards or posters from a zoo or museum can be quite economical). For my second child (having learnt from my first child), I put the cradle (which for most babies fits for 3 months tops) next to my bed in my bedroom. In the nursery I put a full size crib, for naps, early sleep time, and when I needed a very safe place to put the baby while doing such things as taking a shower. Some interesting fabric or an unbreakable mirror on the wall next to the crib/cradle, very low will give the baby something to look at when too little to lift themselves or while dozing. Once the baby is crawling, the pink shelf could be turned on its side to allow the baby to access all cubes herself.
    Jennifer Ruchin thanked Wendy Klein
  • Jennifer Ruchin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much, especially the helpful hints about mirrors etc. We will be putting the cradle in our room in the beginning. I wanted to include a few photos I would like to add and see what you think. I also have just a few questions:
    -Originally I was going to get floor to ceiling birch tree decals (White) and put them on the Pink Wall but now, I was thinking of putting them on the side of the changing table in Pink. Advice?
    -I also included a shot of wall stickers I already purchased. Maybe these should go on the white wall instead?
    -The Alphabet Fabric Letters (still to be made!) I was going to place on the pink wall as well.
    -The Big Blue Closet must stay (it holds our coats unfortunately) so I didn't want to put the crib on the white wall side but maybe if I move the changing table to the other side (contrasting the white against the pink) I should. Advice?
    -I guess right now I feel that the furniture is just 'stacked' with no rhyme or reason.

Thanks again!
  • Jennifer Ruchin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry there is just 1 mobile. The stickers are the only purchase made. The others are just a consideration. But again, I don't want to fill up the room too much..thanks.
  • PRO
    Hooplaroom
    9 years ago
    Hi Jruchin, congratulation on the birth to come! I like the room very much in the 2 pictures you added. Is there a way you could paint your big closet in white? An advice: don't overdo it: every thing you show is very pretty but I am afraid that too many stickers, plus the chandelier, plus the mobile and the rug with flowers would be too much in a little room like this. I would select the items that I love best and don't put the rest of it. Personally, I love the rug and the mobile. Beside the stickers that you already have, just a few family pictures and a mirror should be enough on the walls. A big tree sticker might be too much. Good luck for your project! Girls are fun ;-)
  • PRO
    Lyn Martin Designs
    9 years ago
    Brainstorming is great and inexpensive, your ideas sound good, test it to see if you like it. I love your pink butterflies, you haven't bought yet. So can you paint the blue clothes closet white, lower portion of doors can be painted in magnetic or chalkboard, or mirrored. I love your flower decals, bright and pleasing to lil eyes, they could embellish the new white closet, or be part of your tree display. If you you plan to paint the trees I have a trick for you. Do you plan on putting some blackout liners behind your curtains, it might help for nap time. Oh I almost forgot, please place a light behind your rocker, it will provide a nice glow for night feedings, and easy on the eyes. Of course as baby get mobile - you will need to reposition things out of her reach.
  • Wendy Klein
    9 years ago
    the pink butterflies are lovely-perhaps they can they hang from the ceiling near the left side of the window. I like the idea of using the stickers to decorate the closet. The great part of the vinyl stickers is when you get tired of them they just peel off. We decorated my son's room with harry potter stickers and wainscotting when he was 6, when he was about 12 he took them off himself, and voila, a more mature room.
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    9 years ago
    Congrats for your little girl there! Allow me to say from the first look of the pictures, it looks kind of busy and I don't really like the wall color. You should go with a lighter pink or white (the room is too small) or have all the room pink, and then add all the details. I really love the color of your closet and it will match with your colors in this room.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Mind you the dimensions are off and this layout uses a standard crib since the cradle will likely be used in your bedroom. I love the bookcase but it is the perfect size (I think) to utilize the space behind your door. I turned it on its side so you can hang a large picture or art above it and place books and a table lamp next to the rocker for easy access. The white wall is empty but it opens the room and allows for easy flow in and out. In other words, I wouldn't rush to fill it.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Does the existing blue closet have room for the baby's hanging clothes? If not, you could hang a branch above the bookcase like this:
    My Houzz: Quirky Charm on Aussie Farmland · More Info
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Congratulations! If you added a chandelier - I would choose something simple and not too trendy that can grow with her through the years. You already have a lot of color accents.
    Crystal Leaf Chandelier · More Info
    Princess Mini Chandelier · More Info
  • Jennifer Ruchin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I want to thank you so much for you latest comments. Seems like she's an earlier arrival than expected-now August 15 she will be here. So with my pregnancy brain and all I just want to clarify a few things so that I can start organizing today. I've included closeups of the rug and "big blue closet" these colors are truer than the "pep to bismol wall color". These are the colors I am trying to work with. Specifically:
    I really want to deal with the furniture Layout.
    -er612: I like the idea about putting the bookshelf on the side. But it seems here that the crib and changing dresser would be in front of the windows. If we do this, we cannot open the windows (they open from the side-it's Switzerland and that's what they do here in new apartments). So I need to put the changing table and crib on a wall..please advise.
    -Wendy Klein: I'm not sure where the stickers would fit on the closet, the front of the closet is all wood slats, the only flat surface is the side.
    -Iconic Deco: Unfortunately we cannot change the color of the walls. They are not as bright as they appear, we painted it to match the rug. I'd love to utilize the other colors in the rug in a more modern way(the green, orange, blue) and I agree the room is busy. How can I strip it down and simplify it? Can you please provide specific examples? I'm fine with not using everything we bought and I agree about keeping it simple. Just not sure how to do it.

It's a small space and streamlining it seems to be the most difficult part. Please keep furniture layout ideas and simplifying ideas coming! Many many thank you's!

Jen
  • Jennifer Ruchin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are close up shots of rug and non-movable closet
  • Design2 girl
    9 years ago
    Congratulations on your upcoming baby! I love the rug and the sweet cradle for your new little one. And, I think the pink wall color is fine with the rug. I probably would remove the white fabric from the crib as dust tends to accumulate in those applications and babies are just as happy without it. The blue closet doesn't bother me as the rug also has blue and storage is always a good thing!

It doesn't look like the changing table fits right up next to the wall, but can you try it moved over on the other wall and maybe place the crib next to the angled chair. I would also suggest a window treatment that would provide better light control for sleeping/napping, if you could lose the white curtain and try a cordless shade or blind, it would be a bit more streamlined.

I think you will want to work on the organization of the bookshelves for display and storage. I love the family picture and would choose a larger piece of art to hang over the changing table instead of several different little stickers. Many like to see a mirror in the nursery as baby gets to know herself! Make sure and hang pictures at the appropriate height, the bulletin board looks too high to me. Do not put stickers on that wood closet!
  • Wendy Klein
    9 years ago
    Hi Jen
    If you are feeling like the room is too crowded, perhaps the change table could be moved elsewhere. I was fortunate in my first house that there was space next to the sink in the bathroom to change my daughter on. In my second house, i had a local furniture shop build the change "table" shown in the pictures attached. First we used it in the master bathroom over one sink, then in the kids bathroom beside the sink. I had some foam and towels on it to soften it. In the second photo one can see vinyl stickers decorating the bathroom wall. They peel off with no damage to the paint-so the paint job lasted many years after the stickers were discarded. They probably wouldn't work well on the slatted closet- unless small enough to fit on individual slats.
    Keep in mind that this decorating is all for the adults, the babies couldn't care less. Enjoy!
  • newhomeowner49684
    9 years ago
    Id paint your furniture white.
  • orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    Put the crib on the pink wall. Remove everything else. Turn the shelf unit on its side and put under the windows. You may then be able to put a small lamp on top and use as a chair-side table. Or put a floor lamp behind the chair. Put blinds or shades on window and push curtains back to hang at sides. Hope this helps.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Sorry for the delay. I've been on vacation. Especially sorry to be responding so close to the baby's arrival. Do your windows slide from right to left or do you need access to both sides of it? Just wondering if you can partially block half of it. Thanks for the close up pics. Great rug! Ties everything together beautifully. Are your curtains on a track? If so, you may want to replace the sheers with blackout panels. Green would look good. Is that a green mirror on the pink wall? Regardless if it's a mirror or art, I would pair it with something else (ex. stack it above the changing table with the pic above the bookshelf).
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Just thought of a layout idea. What if you use the bookcase as more of a room divider? The pics below are not to scale and don't look that great on paper but I really think it might work in your room.
  • PRO
    Lyn Martin Designs
    9 years ago
    Jennifer . . . . is she here yet?