Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsfg

custom bed

gsfg
9 years ago
I am having a custom bed made. I could not find an upholstered bed with side rails high enough to cover 100% of the box spring. I do not understand why all beds would not want to hide the box spring. I have my fabric but am nervous is there a reason beds on show room floors do not have higher siderails? Anyone have experience with custom beds that could ease my worry on this project. thanks

Comments (6)

• makaloco
    9 years ago
    Same here. As best I can tell, the only purpose of a box spring is to raise the bed, and a platform does that just fine. I like the ones with drawers for additional storage.
    gsfg thanked makaloco
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    From my understanding, a box spring is supposed to work in tandem with the mattress and help it last longer. Some people who have platform beds claim a mattress only works fine.

Do you use a bed skirt?
    gsfg thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • gsfg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    my current bed has a fitted sheet over my box spring which you see over side rails. My new bed as I have designed it will have rails on three sides with mitered corners and i will be able to hide my bedding between the rails and the mattress/box spring. thanks for the responses. Keep them coming!
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Beds with a metal frame show basically the whole box spring. If you are going custom, I see no reason why you couldn't have the builder make the side rails taller with the caveat that they don't stick out too far and become a shin banger.
    gsfg thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    The historical purpose of the side rails is simply to keep the bed put together. The side rails are not high because they don't need to be. Wide boards for rails cost far more than narrow rails. Also, if your bed sits in a deep well, it is more difficult to remove the box spring in order to flip it end to end every few months or every year (or when the moon is blue). The box spring and mattress are better aired when there's less in the way of air circulation.

There are "foundations" which are just plain plywood boxes, and then there are "box springs" which really do have springs. THe latter's function is to absorb some of the impact on the mattress springs. They work in tandem, with the springs on each designed to hit certain places on the others.

Also historically, a bedspread would have been used to cover the mattress and box springs during the daytime when people might see them. Dust ruffles are still a popular option, but custom covers or simple fitted sheet covers are moving up in popularity. Many old bed frames were never designed to take the weight and height of modern luxury mattress sets.
    gsfg thanked apple_pie_order