Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkoplmn

WeCork brand Cork Floors - Denting? All cork floors dent?

mkoplmn
9 years ago
I'm considering cork floors for my kitchen remodel. My research brought me to this long and informative blog post:
http://www.thissortaoldlife.com/2011/10/14/everything-you-really-need-to-know-about-cork-flooring/

The blog poster recommended the following reputable brands: Wicanders, WE Cork, Globus, Torly's.

"Several cork brands seem to have a good reputation. We went with Wicanders for price and availability. The WE cork looked and felt almost exactly the same as the Wicanders, and if we could have gotten a better deal on it we would have been happy to go with it. " -- Blogger

I was able to obtain samples of WE Cork's "Canyon" floating floor, but much to my disappointment, the sample failed my first test. I put it under the plastic-capped leg of my dining room chair and noticed several dents after sitting on it for about 20 minutes. I then put it under the plastic rolling legs (one of five spokes) on my office chair. This did not dent the sample, but I did notice several scratches.

I performed the test about a week ago, and the dents are still visible. Even the dents I made with my fingernails are still visible. I don't understand how it could scratch this easily...The blogger said that he/she dragged a quarter across cork samples and was unable to damage them.

How disappointing. I really wanted cork for my kitchen, and WE Cork seemed like such a reputable brand (and on sale for less than $5/SF!). Do all cork floors dent this easily?

Comments (16)

• mkoplmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, I will try the hot wet cloth trick! What do you think of the blog article that I posted?

Do you think WE Cork is better than Wicanders and Torlys?

Have you ever heard of CaliCork? I have one of their samples and it passed my "chair dent test" with no dimples or scratches. The cork appears to be significantly thicker than the WE Cork, but it does not look as nice and feels nowhere near as smooth as the WE Cork. I also forgot about the sample and left it in my hot car in direct sunlight for a couple weeks before I performed the test. Maybe this made a difference?
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    WE cork is a the "little" sister of Wicanders. They are both owned by Amorim. Wicanders is the high-end product. WE cork is the "everyone can afford me" cork from the Wicander's family. Torlys is in the same category as Wicanders. Calicork probably has Aluminum Oxide Urethane as the finish. It "seems" tougher...but it can never be refinished/resealed. Should not be installed in Kitchens, entranceways or bathrooms = same as Wicanders/Torlys.
  • aledohome
    9 years ago
    I'm more confused. So...WE cork is cheaper but can be installed anywhere but the high-end Wicanders and Torlys brands should not be installed in kitchens?
  • Julie
    9 years ago
    Mine is being installed as I sit here (on lunch) at work. I don't remember what brand I purchased, but I certainly hope I chose correctly!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    it does dent high heels are killers
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    I wear high-heels at work (and I'm a big girl) on our cork floor and I've yet to have anyone "spot" the high-heel marks. We have 3 different floors in our display room (two natural and 1 with a light maple stain) and they all "hide" imperfections very, very well.

@jalrdcd As for "hope you chose correctly" it depends on what you purchased and where it is being installed. One thing I've learn is the sales people (big box or even mid-sized stores) have very little knowledge of cork and often give out "damaging" advice to their clients. You are welcome to ask what ever questions you have...I would be happy to ensure you use the correct product (cleaning) and the correct maintenance products (polishes or polyurethane...you will use one but not both) for your floor.

When you get home you will find a box or two sitting around (at least you better...you bought the floor = any left overs are yours). Feel free to send me info and I will help you find the right way to live with your cork.
  • aledohome
    9 years ago
    I am seeking information about cork flooring for use in the kitchen that is available near Fort Worth TX. The few samples I've seen seem to made of a combination of plywood or other products but they are back with an extremely thin layer of cork. The thin cork layer is the only part that seems soft or cushy. Again it is backed by this layer so would not even be seen. The upper part appears to be vinyl or plastic like. Perhaps I haven't seen true cork flooring yet. Any information or suggestions are welcome.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    TX is not the "hot bed" of cork you are hoping for. You will need to work with a specialty company that probably has to mail/ship the cork to you. This is normal...this is how specialty cork flooring works.

If you want "thicker" cork then you have to look to 100% glue down tiles 4mm - 8mm thick)...unforntunately a glue down installation in Texas can be troublesome (not the best option). The amount of water sitting in the ground makes gluing down cork to concrete slab in Texas an act of love...or an act of instanity. The same reason you shouldn't glue down hardwood in Texas is the same reason you shouldn't glue down cork in Texas.

A cork floating floor (click together) is a far more appropriate option. A floating floor can/should be sealed after installation in a kitchen to prevent water/spills from damaging the planks. A cork floating floor will have (roughly) 1/8" cork surface (3mm - 3.5mm thick) layered over top of "fibre board" of and then the third (bottom) layer = 1/32" cork underlay (1mm - 1.5mm thick).

There are plenty of products out there called "vinyl cork" where there is a layer of vinyl sitting on top of the cork surface which is what you probably have seen.

If you want to see 60+ cork options, try visiting: www.icorkfloor.com and remember to order samples.
  • sabsmart
    9 years ago
    Although this comment is not about dents, it is about scratching. I have 2 active cats and we installed cork flooring in our kitchen a few months ago. (WE cork, 12 x 24 plank flooring). Despite trimming their nails the floors are a mess due to the fact that they chase each other around and the kitchen seems to be the runway. We'll live with the cork until we can't stand looking at it anymore but don't install cork if you have cats that use the area actively. I can't speak for dogs.
  • MC Floors
    9 years ago

So, Cancork Floor, Inc are you saying not to use WE Cork in the kitchen or bathroom?

• Irma Hethman Boyle
    8 years ago

I have just started exploring the cork world. I have found a big price difference. Torly premium at 5.99 and Lisbon Cork on sale at $2.49. It would be great if the Lisbon Cork met acceptable standards. Do you know if it does?

• Katrina Kennedy
    8 years ago

I wouldn't use cork anywhere where I wouldn't use carpet. So definitely not in a kitchen or bathroom.

• greatdecor
    7 years ago
    I used a floating cork floor in my small apartment kitchen. I love it for its softness underfoot, its look, and how easy it is to clean. I've moved, and I miss it! Usually, you would use a glue down cork for the bath or kitchen, which I hope to do in my next remodel!
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

A cork floating floor = can go in kitchens (should be sealed against standing water) and glue down cork can be used in bathrooms (water proof once surface sealed). Which means that cork can be used in both kitchens and baths and have been used that way for over 150 years.

• PRO
    User
    last year

I’m looking to put cork in several places as softer and quieter alternative to hardwood, and hoping one product and install method would work for most of the main floor - great room/kitchen, mudroom/laundry, office, and powder room. I’m waiting for some samples because the last time we used cork was 10 years ago. At that time we bought from big box store and felt it held up great in the one room. We even took planks up and redid the room and reused the flooring after 5 or so years. We are in Michigan, the home is a ranch on a basement, and we have dogs and a preteen in the house.