Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swisshaus

Looking for inspiration to re-hab tired kitchen cabinets

swissdixie
9 years ago
Seeking some help on a potential home (not signed yet!). I am trying to convince my husband that this kitchen is a gem...with a little TLC.
Given that we will be broke first time buyers I think we'll be limited to cosmetic work only for the first year or three done by yours truly.
The counter tops are solid granite (if not my favourite colour) and the cabinetry is wood (not MDF)...I'm thinking paint is a wonderful thing!

Currently thinking about painting the top cabinets in a cream/white and bottom a grey-ish green or blue. Considering keeping the hardware and spray paint it. FYI-My husband has the typical man's fear of wood and paint (You can't paint wood!!!!!). I choose not to point out the many pieces of furniture that he loves in our house which are all painted... :)

Searching for any advice on inspiration on what could be done (those chairs are NOT ours). This is a Swiss country home (think Northeastern white farmhouse with green shutters) and the windows face South and West so lots of light...but 7'10 ceilings. At present the entire house is bland and white. White stone floors, white walls, etc. no light fittings - a real blank slate!

Would you paint the door detail (carving) another colour? I am also the person doing the work so anything too complex may be beyond my skills! We have access to Farrow & Ball but not sure about other well known paint brands here in die Schweiz.

Comments (8)

• dianneeng
    9 years ago
    Why don't you just replace the cupboard doors and surround lovely shiny laminate wrap all white and paint the walls surrounds white too with stainless steel long slim handles, it looks a great kitchen to work in.
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    Your paint ideas are good. Living in this house for a couple of years will really help you determine its future plans. This room has great light. What do you think about pulling only the granite back splash, leaving the "steps"? It would brighten the space and make the ceilings appear higher. Then painting it? Gray is a good idea for the cabinetry, one that will mesh with the granite. If you did different colors uppers and lowers they should be in the same color family, otherwise the space would look chopped in half. I would not paint the door detail, it would look very cluttered. The range hood could also be treated beautifully with paint. Beautiful window over the sink! Would love to see the other two walls if you can post 'em . . .
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Keep it simple - no accent on the door detail and no two-tone paint since this is a small kitchen with low ceilings. The cabs are a classic style often used in colonial or traditional homes stateside. I'd remove the cross piece above the window and paint all the cabs in a color you love that works with the granite. Looks like there will be some prep work as they may have varnish on them.
  • swissdixie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Um, wow, can that fancy software now actually do the work? Thank you to everyone so far for the suggestions! Think this decided NO to 2-toned painting or detailing, love the idea of possibly taking down the 'backsplash' of granite (it is more brown in person, sigh); possibly remove the cross-piece; yes, 20 years of varnish to sand off (can be hubby's job! I occasionally sand too far). I will take more photos when we go back for final visit-inspection. Over by the seating area (currently cheap built in nook) is a pair of French doors leading to side yard.

Seriously though, THANK YOU; much more fun to hear from community than stare alone at magazines or attempt to converse in Swiss-German (anyone know how to say 'backsplash' and 'garbage disposal' because I still don't!).
  • Mandy Feagan
    9 years ago
    You DO NOT need to sand!!!!! Check out my kitchen! I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint. About $45 per quart, BUT I only used 2 1/2 quarts and have about the same amount of cabinets as you do! My cabinets were honey oak, and very dated. I purchased new hardware at knobs4less.com. Annie Sloan is the EASIEST paint to use. I sealed it with a polycrylic.
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    You are a great decision-maker! I would try Farrow and Ball French Gray, Hardwick White, Old White or Off White, depending on what tones go with that granite. I would definitely replace the handles on the cupboard doors to something simpler as it'll help to de-frou frou the doors. I also agree that if you can rip off that backsplash without pulling down the wall, it would make a great difference.

The French Gray might end up too dark as that granite is a total light sucker and I know you are facing the right direction for maximum light, but think of the long, dark winters ahead of you!
  • nramsey1
    9 years ago
    I like your idea of painting the lower cabinets a different color from the top cabinets. Maybe groveraxle could do a mock-up for you.