Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlize

Coffee table /lamps

charlize
12 years ago
Hi There,
I for the life of me can't decide on a coffee table and lamps to go with this couch very modern, I would appreciate picture to help visualize. I will be changing the flooring open to suggestions for this as well. So greatful

Comments (59)

• charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Dytecture,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Love the picture of that room. I worried about dark floors they look stunning but I here they are an upkeep. What if I when the extreme end with very light floors what is your thought on this. Love the lamp idea. My condo is 535 sq feet do you think it might get in the way of eye sight. Also, behind the couch is a floor to ceiling mirros do you like, or is this dating the room. I was think of putting a large print that could lean up against the back of the couch as there is an area for this just a thought. See one I quite liked at Ikea with a night green tree background. I'll see if I can get the image to show you. or do I just leave it open. Thanks. I currently have one wall painted benejamin moore Mink dark brown and by the way my couch looks black but it is a dark brown. I want to repaint I was thinking along the lines of grey. Your feedback would be great. Thanks for dropping by.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Charmean,
    Thanks for giving me the suggestions. Love the lamp by the way, what type of end table with this lamp, Very unusal coffee table kinda like it though piece of art. I'm also, redoing my kitchen at some point and do not have a table to eat at. The kitchen looks into the livingroom so I'm thinking of adding bar stools or small table or maybe a coffee table that turns into a dining table. I'm not sure. The place is soo small 535 sq feet. I have to choose furniture that does double duty.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Manon, very funky table never seen anything like this,and the lamp. What would be the price for this table.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Joni, yes I have seen these table before they are nice arent they.
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    Yes, and would make a clear statement in the room without looking out of place. Nothing offers you that more than the real deal will. A fair price and I think will hold it's value.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    pkolleas, Do you have any suggestions for pillows, that might match what I have, or doyou have something better in mind. I'm not very good with accessorizing, do you have any pictures THANKS SO MUCH.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12 years ago
    Hi Charlize. I like the idea of a low tansu for end tables with the tree slab table I suggested earlier. A tansu feels modern, yet somewhat organic because of it's hand made nature. What do you think?
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I probably should mention that my budget may not accommodate some of the pricing of the tables. I'm taking a trip to ikea I like their price point. Are their any lamps, coffee tables you like there, and do you like the picture premair or is this too much behind the couch. Thanks soooo much guys or sorry ladies as well
    PREMIÄR

Picture, crescendo of light

$179.00
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Redoing kitchen too, I would like more for the designer re the flooring spspalted maple in grey tones for flooring if I could get a picture, would white cupboards go with that flooring and what paint colors, Also, I need to add drapes or some better window covers doesn't block the west sun, it gets sooo hot in my condo. I probably will get high end laminate I think, I would eventually like to do the whole condo. I need new appliance as well. I'm thinking I removing the upper cupboard and opening the kitchen. I have a good size pantry for a small condo its great. I feel I made a mistake with the couch I seen white leather and it looks stunning. So should i keep it is extremely durable and comfortable though. As I was in a serious car accident Im trying to make my surrounds as comfortable as possible. I would love to get some sort of reclining chair which does take space and replace with the chair in the picture maybe. I struggle to even vaccum my floors that and I use a scooter to get around thats why I thought of new floor for durability easy cleaning. I tried to divide my bed from the livingroom and I have really big family and I hated them seeing my bed. So as you can see in the picture the Ikea wall unit i use for dividing but, I tell I would have preferred one that I could have swivel the tv to the bedroom but they are usually big and bulky. i don't know why Ikea doesn't offer something like this. If I had a lot of money I would love to get furniture that is really flexible to hide say tables etc. but they seem to be very pricing soory rambling on. So that you can get an idea about me. I love horses, use to bicyle ride, and sailing, skiing, picture of these hoppies etc would be great too. I do like a bit of rustic and mod, I want to feel a comfortable as possible. So for me all glass table soso, I need flexible, and change my decor a lot as well. I get bored easily. Do you like the dark brown wall mink. I am open to suggestion. I am kinda liking the greys or should I paint all white to feel open and airy. I just love this website I have told several of my friends and we all love it. I am thinking ikea kitchen as well. suggests there would be great I think I will run the same flooring throughout. Take care sorry for the long message.
  • mjosephine
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    2 sites for you Mykea.com and CustomizeIKEA.com both have ideas to personalize and make standard stuff look less generic more high end . Shoji type room divider screens some printed both sides with mod, traditional,old masters, cities, landscapes.black/white photography at low prices at Wayfair.com (large selection of coffee tables too) Cream "Eames" type heated massage recliners less than $400 (w/free shipping) at massage zones.com HomeReserve.com has various size cubes and ottomans to cluster all are storage units and come in choice of 100 fabrics also every pillow shape and size in matching or coordinating fabrics. hope these sites help you
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi Mjosephine,
    I cannot find the cream Eames type heated massage recliners, can you provide a pictureThank for your help.
  • Lisa Yusko
    12 years ago
    Your sofa is quite heavy, so to balance it out...you really should go with something translucent, such as glass, acrylic. You could do this with one piece or several...so you can move them around the room as needed. It would be nice to add a cowhide, or faux fur rug under the glass table...just for some warmth.
  • Lisa Yusko
    12 years ago
    Just noticed the position of the sofa...you have mirror behind it. It might be nice to pull it away from the mirrored wall slightly, enough to fit a sofa table and add to decorative lamps, again warming up the space...just a though. :)
  • Sharon Binette
    12 years ago
    West Elm would be a great choice for the tree stump tables and other types of wood tables that would soften the area, all under $200.00. http://www.westelm.com/products/natural-tree-stump-side-table-f655/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables Lovely room.
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    I think a wood coffee table would add some warmth and character. Room and Board has some nice tables - but might be higher than your budget allows.
  • PRO
    Peter S. Balsam Associates
    12 years ago
    To balance the visual weight of the black leather sofa, it would be cool to select a coffee table that is a brushed steel & glass. a 2 tier table would allow you to have more surface to display books, magazines & objects that you treasure. Check out West Elm & Room & Board. A brushed steel decorative floor lamp with visually connect the grouping. Good luck.
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    charlize, i just wanted to say i'm very sorry about your accident and i hope things improve for you..
  • dkward
    12 years ago
    It doesn't look like you have a lot of counter top space in the kitchen. We didn't either, and ended up with silestone instead of laminate. It looks nicer but doesn't have the upkeep of granite.
  • mjosephine
    12 years ago
    Sorry can't send image Go to; MassageZones.com then go to Home tab Go down list of manufacturers to Comfort chair is Comfort Massage Recliner and Ottoman Set F7076
  • littlemissk
    12 years ago
    An Ikea room. White table would blend well with your entertainment unit.

http://homedesigninspiration.com/architecture/ikea-living-room-design-2011.jpg
  • PRO
    Lesa Mackey
    12 years ago
    HI Charlize,
    With the black leather sofa, the sky is the limit as to your many possiblities. Understanding that you wish to make purchases at IKEA and also trying to utilize items you currently own, I suggest that you prime and then paint the current cocktail table to a glossy white. You can either spray it or brush it but if brushing it, use an oil base paint and give it several thin coats instead of trying to put the paint on heavy and doing it all at one time. You will have a harder smoother finish. You could also paint the little small black end table you currently have sitting on right (in photo) to a bright red but in an oil base satin paint. Then turn the chest to where the drawers are on the outside instead of to the front. On the opposite side of the sofa place a round table such as the one I have selected from IKEA. If you go with a hard surface floor such as wood or ceramic or porcelan tile, I suggest you keep it light and natural. I have made some selections for area rug, pillows & some fun art. A side chair or a pair of the same two chairs would be a good addition as $$ allows. An accent wall in a bright color pulled from the art work would be fun and on the accent wall, fill it with fun black and white photography framed in white frames and white mattes. There are several black and white pillows from the same collection you could add for interest. As your budget allows, you can upgrade items with more timeless and quality items in the same color palette if you still enjoy it.
  • Lisa Ward
    12 years ago
    I recommend these
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Lesa Mackey,
    My couch is DARK BROWN not BLACK i know it is hard to tell Your suggestion got me thinking, I do like projects if you had seen what I painted in this little condo, tables chairs armoir etc, the table you are asking me to paint white, I did paint it black years ago, but anyways, White hum you would paint white even with the smoke glass on it. Take another look at the picture. i'm open to this to try. Should i try match the white of the wall unit as it is more cream white the unit is EXPEDIT
    TV storage unit from ikea my handy boyfriend added another shelve ontop to expand it. Someone suggested Gray spalted maple in grey tones for flooring what is your thought. I missing some of your pictures you mentioned sample of area rugs, is the area rug picture the one with the black frame above. The accent wall in the bedroom is that where you want a bright colour, currently I have chocolate brown. Thanks for everyones suggestion. I love black and white photoography. See same of further pictures that I like
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Lisa Ward, Like that table where do I get it.
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    I would suggest before any walls get done Charlize, decide on your floor color, it is much more permanent. The colors you wondered about for your pillows, you have a very neutral pallette. After your floor and walls are done, then pick out your accesories. Put what you love on your shelves. Those items might give you some great ideas for the color of pillows and throws and candles. I think the spalted maple would be a great floor idea, be easier to keep up in that you could go a little longer on the cleaning. Doesn't that sound nice? How about choosing a coffee table in a brilliant color? Why? Because I wouldn' t put in an area rug, too many edges, depends on your safety issues. And with your neutral couch, shelves and then the floor the table is a fun unexpected, cheerful element and might just work on the one you have. You could paint the table and remove the glass piece, then go to your glass place and get a longer and wider piece of glass. Do you have a piece of art in your home you really love, with color in it? That could also be your color inspiration. I love that idea of a sofa table behind the couch, maybe with some kind of natural elements, books, that fresh fruit we should eat everyday and a pair of matching lamps on either end. Refurbish your standing lamp too, maybe a new color or a new lampshade, use by the chair. Last of all choose your favorite color, it is your home. Oh, and look at the colors in your closet a clue. Anytime you want choices, go to the photo section of this site and just type in their search box exactly what you are looking for like, bright color coffee table. I wish you speed in healing, I admire that you do what you want, and bravo for what you have accomplished so far. Enjoy yourself.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Found this picture the the sofa table behind the couch, but I think the table would be too big for my place.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I like this picture
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I like this as well sofa idea you gave me.
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    Those pics are great. The sofa table does not have to too deep, 12" would do it. I also like the coffee table white like your cabinets. Go to my ideabooks, I put a file of pictures in there just for you, I used your name as the file name. I'm really enjoying the conversation.
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    Another thought about you coffee table and foot stool is to put in a long rectangular table and put a cushion at one end of it and leave the other end free for accessories. I also saw someone use a trunk.
  • Lisa Yusko
    12 years ago
    Glad you are going with the sofa table idea..I really think this will do wonders...you'll love it..and it will really add some depth. Enjoy.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I'm so honoured you put my name in your file. I looked over your website beautiful place you have. Funny,my last place was full of antiques beautiful ones that I had collected over the years. Your place is how I would have liked to live, but in a small condo 535 sq ft. in the city the antiques looked to heavy I sold everything it killed me. Maybe someday, I will own a cottage who knows where life leads. I like your long coffee table idea. I like painting furniture and DIY projects. You would have die and gone to heaven if you had seen my antiques. But, that is the past. I really like the white coffee table in the picture I posted, I like to inject a little bit if antiques with modern. Love her end tables I wondered where she got those. The picture is Trish Johnstons home Canadian designer, the other picture is from a Canadian design show Steven and Chris designers Love their show.
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    Charlize---I like Chris and Steve too! Deary, deary, deary, none of those places are my house, I just downloaded them from the Houzz Photo tab. I live in 600 sq. ft., and I know your pain. I have developed some medical issues that make me pretty immobile after 3pm. My husband and I had to downsize our life as well. Joe was injured and is still on federal worker's comp, he worked for Homeland Security. Out went some things I would never thought I would part with, some to my kids. Ours is a studio. Did you put the shelf unit in to separate one large room? Let me know. I too wish that I lived in a cottage, mine would be on the pacific NW coast. I am from Portland, Oregon, I am in the bohemian NW Uptown area. I love it too.
    The white table that you like does look like a painted vintage table. The sofa table idea will really soften that mirror, but the mirror takes away feeling of being cramped. Something I did was put white sheers about 6-8" and clear to the floor. Regardless of your window size it really brightens it up. Can you tell me your favorite color?
    Take care, we will chat again. Pamela
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    love this coffee table
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi Pamela,
    Sorry to hear about your medical issue yes pain I do have as well. Chronic you say. Sorry about your husband my sister lives in Oregon too I have to find out just where abouts in Oregon I will let you know you might be neighbours. Yah, I am in a studio apartment which is 535 sq feet my handy man, made the unit from Ikea pieces. The bottom part of the Ikea unit is a new one that is out $145 Dollars and he screwed in a top piece all in all it was around $240.00 for the whole unit. Gives me great storage, behind the unit is my bed. I hated people seeing my bed, as I sometimes I don't have the energy to make it, or you get a repair come in and he thinks your inviting for a roll in thay hay you know what I mean. I would have liked to be able to rotate the tv right around to the bedroom. I believe IKea has done murphy beds or integrated units for small spaces. Maybe we should open our own business. Here is my neighbours unit, she is in a studio as well. Favourite colour well, that is hard, my taste changes daily. I'm liking the deep gray wall and white trim, I love contract like black and white photos, zebra rugs, artistic pieces large trees in the livingroom, unusual objects, I think I like gray, white, taupe, as the main colours in that way you can inject different accent colours when you get bored. I love going to garage sales, hunting goodwill, I can look at an object and see is potential. I use to be artists. Takes energy. I really need a new kitchen and floors desparately. I heard that a lot of designers recommend ikea kitchens. I love my little place, I have a hottube, pool, gym beautiful gardens. The disadvantage is that I face West, extremely hot and I end up keepingmy blinds closed all the time. I trying to find a solution to this problem. I look at window film but Im not sure if if will do the job of keeping the sun and heat out. I have a walk in closet and a pantry which is great for storage. I think my place has a lot of potential just need the energy, money, and creativity. I would like Trish to design my condo, hope she reads this. pleae note new pictures are my neighbours condo which is identical to mine but done up.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    My Neighbour put pieces together from IKEA as well, would give you loads of storage. Write Soon pamela. Thats not me in the picture
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    love all these picture What do you think pamela, I want that bathroom
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Love all these pictures, look at the red coffee table cool.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I think i'm obsessed with pictures
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I love white couches why didn't I buy one maybe I will sell my couch. Like the square colourful ottoman with the white couch. The cottage picture is my dream, I actually view this cottage was great inside.
  • Manon Floreat
    12 years ago
    Off topic - but just had to say, Charlize - I love your obsession with pictures!
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    Hi Charlize,
    I caught something,been down for a couple days. You are so sweet to want to start a business. Sounds like we are very much alike. I love taupe, white, and gray as well. If you like gray, then maybe a pickled wood floor would do well. A light taupe with gray and brown tones on the wall in flat finish. Behr Paints has a great white trim color called Utra-White. I would do the cieling and all trim in high gloss. Boy are our tastes similar. The picture with gold chairs and horn table, I love the walls and floor colors in that room. Don't sell your couch, it is a classic piece, not much it doesn't fit with, and it is a cozy yet elegant piece. I like that red ottoman table in the bottom right corner. These are quite easy to make. You can find instructions on-line. I always love Red. Throw a great tray on one end and it is very versatile.
    I do love your divider. Our apt. has walls between the kitchen and living room. The hall, bath, and closets are walled off on the other side, lots of doorways. Our Building was done in 1920, Art Deco. We have been here for 10 months, I am still struggling to decorate, pain and enery being the barrier. I look at tons of pictures, love it. I really like this website, I won't run out of photos, wow. Let me know where you are, I am guessing Canada?
    Pamela PS Almost forgot, get yourself a lazy susan for your TV or go to TV store for a table top swivel piece.
  • charlize
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hey Pamela,
    Yes I am from Canada Mississauga Ontario.
    Are you a decorator. Like the paint suggestion, do you know exactly what colours I should throw on the walls. The idea of lazy Susan, I don't know if you can tell from the picture, there is a bar on the back of the unit, not sure if it is a support bar, see we added another piece onto of the original piece and I'm not sure if it could hold. I should ask a carpenter. When you use a lazy susan with a TV how do you manage all the cords would love to know. Sounds like you have what I have fibromyalgia.
  • pkolleas
    12 years ago
    Charlize,
    My children have relatives in London, Ontario. I am not a trained designer, but I do small jobs for people. Once you decide on your floor color, then you need the color blocks so you can compare the major pieces with your wall color. Your couch, your shelves, and the floor.
    I was thinking that you could put 'white duck' slipcover on your couch. Choose a shabby chic floral for the chair, then you could do the cottage look that you like.
  • jerzyy
    11 years ago
    Mississauga CondosLicensed property service allows you to get the best Mississauga Condos for the living purpose. These kinds of the buildings are mainly obtainable in the waterfront areas and several other views of lacks along with other scenery areas. To help you confidently purchase these properties to obtain more excitement and peace.
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of a more organic shape, how about something like this?
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    Or even finding a beautiful handmade piece like these table lights made by a very talented person I went to school with - I LOVE them! http://www.clairebevacqua.com/archive.php
  • charlize
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the organic wood table, amazing. Thanks for your input
  • acm
    6 years ago

guys, this post is five years old!!

find a better outlet for your belated advice/advertising...

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County