Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayla_thomas3817

How to dress windows in a room with a picture window & regular window?

Kayla Thomas
9 years ago
How do you dress the windows of a room with one very large picture window, and one regular sized window? The picture window does not open and is on the north side of the room. It is about five and a half feet wide. The other window is normal sized, about 35", and on the east side of the room. Currently, there is a curtain rod on the picture widow with two curtains that are not totally functional, but more so decorative, and the other window has a woven wood blind and no curtain or curtain rod. It feels very unbalanced. The house is a rental, but the landlord has asked me to buy new blinds or curtains for it, and they will reimburse me. The thing is, I don't know how to dress these windows. The other windows I am figuring out blinds and curtain rods for them to reimburse, and I am handling the curtains myself since that is one of the areas I can play with for decor/color. What would you suggest to dress the two windows in this room?

Comments (11)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Can you post some pictures of the area?
  • Kayla Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can tomorrow morning!
  • Kayla Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a picture showing the two windows. we just moved in last week, so we aren't very settled, and we aren't fully decorated yet!
  • Kayla Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Anyone?
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    I would put ceiling height (match the height) on the smaller window with the larger window with matching curtains and rods. But, I'd give the illusion that the smaller window is wider by having the curtains on the edge of the window frame. Do you need functional window treatment for privacy or light control?
  • Kayla Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think I will do curtains. The landlords will pay for the blinds, I will cover the cost of the actual curtains and take them with me when I go. Since the entire house is white, the curtains are one of the few places where I'm able to dress the place to my tastes. I will order blinds for the other rooms, but I think I will just use curtains in here...maybe ad shears with tension rods at the top and bottom for a little privacy as well?
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of shears. Since you're renting, I wouldn't go too expensive on your drapery, but do your drapes on a traverse rod for open/close for privacy when needed. How about an inverted pleat style?
    Inverted Pleat Drapery by The Shade Store · More Info
  • Kayla Thomas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I make all my own drapes, unless I fall completely in love with something I seen in a store-- but let's face it-- that never happens. There are SO many fun fabric options out there, and it's much less expensive to make 95" drapes than buy them. I have my own house back home that I can bring curtains back to, so I'm not concerned about the money aspect so much. I want to enjoy where I'm living for the next two years, especially since I stay at home and I see so much of this place everyday! I just don't know the ideal way to handle these coverings. What about hanging two roman shades side by side on the large window (75" actually) and one in the smaller window instead of buying one large shade? It wouldn't be so cost prohibitive and I wouldn't feel as bad having the owners reimburse for that. Is that a silly thing to do though?
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    7 years ago

Might I suggest a combination of drapery and Roman shades.

Much like what our consultant did in this home.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/1801430//delish-drapery-and-roman-shades

Drapery w/French Returns and Roman shade. · More Info

Or just tall, sleek drapery could really enlongate the space.

Or perhaps a layered look with bold drapery and aSolar shade layer.

This provides a variety of light-filtering options for your space. The photo above actually has three layers: room-darkening drapery, sheer drapery and a Solar shade.

The possibilities are endless!

• anniegrace
    3 years ago

Gordon I know this was from 4 years ago but it was very helpful to me today. I was considering a sheer curtain on my picture window in my sunroom but didn’t want curtains on my 2 side windows so this shows me what I can do. I also don’t like layers of curtain over shades. It’s too heavy and busy looking so this was great. Thank you